PDA

View Full Version : Need true audio routing for Mini SDI with AE v 2

NashuaCTV
09-20-2016, 03:28 PM
I had hoped that that switching to AE ver 2 would have helped my problem. I need to be able to use the SDI embedded audio from 4 cameras, plus use the line level audio input simultaneously. I was excited to see the there is now an audio router available for both the audio and video inputs and outputs on the Mini-SDI. These routers seem\ very limited though. I am unable to simultaneously use the SDI embeded audio from Camera 1 and an external Line Level Input. The choices for each input on the audio mixer should be all of the potential audio inputs. That way I can direct the line level input, or any other source, to any (or all) of the audio mixer inputs. Please correct this issue in a future update.

kanep
09-20-2016, 03:45 PM
The new audio routing features in AE2 are all for output. When it comes to input you can have a total of four devices connected to the Mini itself. In the case of input 1 and 2 it it a choice between the SDI embedded or analog.

What you can do is use NDI Connect on another computer to send additional audio from another computer. This could either be the sound card of the the computer or a supported IO card (like BMD, Magewell, AJA, Matrox, DeltaCast, Bluefish). DirectShow devices also work, so you should be able to use a Windows soundcard that supports better that 3.5" inputs and outputs.

SBowie
09-20-2016, 03:50 PM
The hardware does not support splitting the different connector types of an input out to multiply inputs. (This isn't really much different than a typical audio mixer, which may provide both XLT and phone jacks for an input, but only lets you use one or the other.) You can gain some flexibility by introducing some sources to the mixer using Dante or NDI.

NashuaCTV
09-28-2016, 11:26 AM
I understand the limitations of only having four audio inputs on the mini. But, even having the ability to select which of the 4 inputs I could route an analog input to would be great - or at the least, move the Analog inputs to inputs 3 and 4. I find myself sending the output of an external mixer into the line level inputs in the Tricaster. This takes up channel 1 and then I have no way of using the camera audio through the SDI. We do mostly 3 camera sports with the Mini and I have to circumvent this by starting my cameras at input 2 and using 2,3 & 4 for my camera feeds with SDI audio. It then becomes very hard to direct a show with no camera one (which should be my main camera at center court or on the 50 yard line) I am constantly pressing the camera one button and going to black or miss-calling the appropriate camera number when directing the camera operators. I need to find a way to keep camera one on the first button on Preview/Program with SDI audio AND be able to take external audio from a mixer, preferably on input 4, which we don't regularly use anyhow. I would love not to have to carry yet another computer with me as we already carry an additional laptop for scoring with LiveText. Is is a tecnical impossibility to route an analog audio signal to any of the audio input sources?

I am not familiar with Dante. Is there some type of small 4 to 6 channel portable audio mixer that would provide a Dante feed out to the TriCaster as well as analog outputs for backup recording or feeding additional radio/TV

JPulera
09-28-2016, 11:50 AM
With AE, you CAN route cameras to whatever switcher buttons you want...right-click on PROG or PREV button (1-8) and hit CONFIGURE then choose the physical input you want routed to that button. So, you can use inputs 2, 3, 4, and have them appear on mixer as 1, 2, and 3.

On the audio side, you do have the "Audio Follow" options, so that any camera(s) or other video sources can be tied to certain audio inputs.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

PIZAZZ
09-28-2016, 02:19 PM
I am not familiar with Dante. Is there some type of small 4 to 6 channel portable audio mixer that would provide a Dante feed out to the TriCaster as well as analog outputs for backup recording or feeding additional radio/TV

You could use the new version of Dante Via to do a simple submix to feed into the TriCaster mini with AE on it. We have ran Dante Via and LiveText with zero issues but I would suggest using separate computers for most scenarios. Simply add a USB soundcard bring in your analog audio and convert it to Dante. If you don't want to go with a Laptop, Dante Via, and a soundcard, you can also buy an Analog to Dante converter like these from Atterotech. http://atterotech.com/products/dante-d4il/
You will have to use the audio mixer in Dante to adjust your Dante input levels coming from the Atterotech unD4I-L just as if you would from the analog inputs on the Mini.

Once you are in the Dante world then you really can do much more with your audio than you are used to.