PDA

View Full Version : The newer core modeling tools not working properly with undo commands.

prometheus
09-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Do you guys have issues with the newer modeling tools, like chamfer, heatshrink, tweak tool when undoing.
I have found that after running some of those, then trying to undo ..then it often fails, and sometimes it screws up the model completly by removing a layer after the error commands that no previous undo can be done.

Lightwave 2015.3, but I think it is the same with 11.6.3

Michael

DrStrik9
09-20-2016, 10:07 AM
This kind of thing is why I save many consecutively-numbered model files. It's not exactly convenient, but it is a workaround for things like failed undo's, etc.

prometheus
09-20-2016, 10:19 AM
This kind of thing is why I save many consecutively-numbered model files. It's not exactly convenient, but it is a workaround for things like failed undo's, etc.

Ofcourse, generally I mostly do incremental saves for layout, since that is way more proned to crash than modeler.
Though I have to consider doing that more for modeler ..especially when working with the newer tools, this seem to be a case of newer core tools that has some form of mismatch with the older undo system, I havenīt found other tools to be wonky with undos really.

Michael

jasonwestmas
09-20-2016, 06:26 PM
Yes I noticed that today when modeling in 2015.3. Layers will disappear if you undo occassionally. Haven't pin pointed it.

prometheus
09-26-2016, 04:07 AM
Blah..heatshrink poor undo is screwing up my models, tried some heatshrinking on curves for hairguides, but didnīt look good and though I only should undo and select a few points..but I couldnīt undo, so it was screwed up.
had saved some incremental..but it is annoying.

Blahh..no 2, heatshrink then updating with fiberfx in layout, CRASH :(.

rustythe1
09-26-2016, 08:02 AM
I think it might be to do with if you click undo before you drop the tool, I always hit spacebar when finishing anything to commit, never had problems with shrink, chamfer or place mesh that way, I would expect some of the tools may actually pass the amount of undos depending on what you do because they are copy and pasting objects in the background like an lscript with in their own environment, maybe try upping the undo to 20 or 30

hypersuperduper
09-26-2016, 12:10 PM
This is my feeling too. Playing fast and loose with thicken and the axis translate tools undoing furiously suddenly the app is in some half responsive state and things get real weird real fast. I can keep working, but things are sort of off. Axis translate stops working righ, then geometry starts disappearing. If I am careful to drop tools before undoing things seem to work better. Maybe it's if you undo past the last action you were doing when you started using the tool while still using the tool.

prometheus
09-26-2016, 08:53 PM
I think it might be to do with if you click undo before you drop the tool, I always hit spacebar when finishing anything to commit, never had problems with shrink, chamfer or place mesh that way, I would expect some of the tools may actually pass the amount of undos depending on what you do because they are copy and pasting objects in the background like an lscript with in their own environment, maybe try upping the undo to 20 or 30

Thanks for the heads up on that, I will test it on garbage material :)