PDA

View Full Version : Article: Giving Back to Move Forward

WilliamVaughan
09-19-2016, 07:27 AM
I wanted to share a new article I wrote for Pixel Fondue that just went live this morning. Check it out here:

https://pixelfondue.squarespace.com/blog/2016/9/6/giving-back-to-move-forward

prometheus
09-19-2016, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the advices of contemplating the state of mind of sharing.

Prince Charming
09-19-2016, 11:42 AM
I respectfully disagree 100% with your article. I have been sharing my knowledge freely for 10 years and it has done nothing for my ability at all.... its only allowed others to use my original knowledge for profit with no sort of reciprocation.

prometheus
09-19-2016, 12:06 PM
I respectfully disagree 100% with your article. I have been sharing my knowledge freely for 10 years and it has done nothing for my ability at all.... its only allowed others to use my original knowledge for profit with no sort of reciprocation.

I myself find it useful to showcasing small tips, and I learn and understand the things better from that myself..though it is merely simple showcase tricks without any full tutorial.
If someone makes profit of something you do and how you look at it as..good and fine, half full glass..or if you look at it as, blah..I would like some credit here...half empty glass etc :)
I guess it depends on what you expect and what position you may be in..as well how much time you spend on it all.
It may be easier for a teacher and educational guy like William to look at it this way, and it may not be for all.

I suppose if you spend that much time as you do, and have such knowledge..sharing and spending so much time with it with the presumption you should get something back just like that may be too much, if you spend that much time and has so much skills on it..then go pro with it and try and sell them, if you donīt want that..I honestly do not understand why you would spend so much time ..and just expect something back from the community just like that.

I wouldnīt spend half that time you do on doing the stuff you do and just expecting something back..without doing some work behind it, like selling it or marketing it with donations etc.
The stuff you do however..is quite complex and extensive and time consuming, so I fully understand why you pulled it down, such stuff isnīt suitable for sharing freely really..I do not understand though why you donīt look at some options to share with donations or at least very cheap training.

Itīs a balance..you need time, and you may wanīt something in return..or you may just be fine with whatever honouring you get, if you are in the learning business like William, this article is definitely for you..if you have something else for a business, it may not fit that good to your position.
I sure would like to see some clever way of making your tutorials available to as many as possible..but also being able to be of benifit for you, and since you do not find it benifitial for your own skills as I perceived it, you somehow need to get benefit from it to soothe out the time you invest in it, maybe some introductions could be free with more advanced chapter with a little cost so you do get at least something for it?
Time is money for many people.

In my ideal world..my utopia, all knowledge should..is to be free, and if I could make a living on it..and without it costing a dime for anyone, that would be ideal..but that may be a fantasy world.
But imagine how great it would be if everyone could acheive knowledge without costing a dime, wonderful...itīs a project that would be great ..if you solve the code to that.

Prince Charming
09-19-2016, 12:21 PM
I myself find it useful to showcasing small tips, and I learn and understand the things better from that myself..though it is merely simple showcase tricks without any full tutorial.
If someone makes profit of something you do and how you look at it as..good and fine, half full glass..or if you look at it as, blah..I would like some credit here...half empty glass etc :)
I guess it depends on what you expect and what position you may be in..as well how much time you spend on it all.
It may be easier for a teacher and educational guy like William to look at it this way, and it may not be for all.

I suppose if you spend that much time as you do, and have such knowledge..sharing and spending so much time with it with the presumption you should get something back just like that may be too much, if you spend that much time and has so much skills on it..then go pro with it and try and sell them, if you donīt want that..I honestly do not understand why you would spend so much time ..and just expect something back from the community just like that.

I wouldnīt spend half that time you do on doing the stuff you do and just expecting something back..without doing some work behind it, like selling it or marketing it with donations etc.
The stuff you do however..is quite complex and extensive and time consuming, so I fully understand why you pulled it down, such stuff isnīt suitable for sharing freely really..I do not understand though why you donīt look at some options to share with donations or at least very cheap training.

Itīs a balance..you need time, and you may wanīt something in return..or you may just be fine with whatever honouring you get, if you are in the learning business like William, this article is definitely for you..if you have something else for a business, it may not fit that good to your position.
I sure would like to see some clever way of making your tutorials available to as many as possible..but also being able to be of benifit for you, and since you do not find it benifitial for your own skills as I perceived it, you somehow need to get benefit from it to soothe out the time you invest in it, maybe some introductions could be free with more advanced chapter with a little cost so you do get at least something for it?
Time is money for many people.

In my ideal world..my utopia, all knowledge should..is to be free, and if I could make a living on it..and without it costing a dime for anyone, that would be ideal..but that may be a fantasy world.
But imagine how great it would be if everyone could acheive knowledge without costing a dime, wonderful...itīs a project that would be great ..if you solve the code to that.

LOL, coming form the guy who wouldn't share a scene file of his sky set up. Its actually funny to read your comment, because out of everyone on here I consider you the most selfish with your knowledge... from what I have seen on here over the years anyway.

All I am saying is his claims that sharing knowledge freely is beneficial is not MY personal experience.

Also, I spend so much time doing this because it is my art form of choice. It allows me to express the things that go through my mind. Thats why I do it... I will be doing it till I die whether I ever make a cent with it.
Like I said, all I am saying is that from my experience sharing knowledge did not do anything to help my own personal ability.

allabulle
09-19-2016, 01:23 PM
Edit: never mind.

prometheus
09-19-2016, 01:28 PM
LOL, coming form the guy who wouldn't share a scene file of his sky set up. Its actually funny to read your comment, because out of everyone on here I consider you the most selfish with your knowledge... from what I have seen on here over the years anyway.

All I am saying is his claims that sharing knowledge freely is beneficial is not MY personal experience.

Also, I spend so much time doing this because it is my art form of choice. It allows me to express the things that go through my mind. Thats why I do it... I will be doing it till I die whether I ever make a cent with it.
Like I said, all I am saying is that from my experience sharing knowledge did not do anything to help my own personal ability.

Knowing you I knew this was bound to happen someday...I have always been able to communicate with you without you been disrespectful to me..and me probably not being disrespectful to you..but guess this is the day then..
That is absolutly brilliant prince charming, because I was nīt keen on sharing publicly my scenefiles? then I am one of the more selfish one here on the forums?
I have shared files privatly to others before..I have some scenefiles shared publicly..some have used it commercially without giving me credit even if they said they would

Do you see me remove my small showcases on the tube like you do?..
What side of the bed did you wake up here? I donīt know what kind of manners you conduct to communicate and get friendly with folks? If you think you will get more out of it somehow..you are definitly wrong.
You should go and ask others here if they think I am selfish with sharing knowledge or not.

If you consider keeping your hard work of stuff for yourself as being selfish..well:stumped:
How many scenefiles have you shared? I have some scenefiles shared before you know, but if you go for some of my declination of some requests here and judge it from that..then your full of ******** regarding that.

I can share some files for helping, if it isnīt work that is typicly hard to do or require too much of my experience in some fields, and some other have recieived my files privatly because I may have shared something with them before, like you for instance..you have shared files to me..and I could consider sharing some stuff with you privately..but that isnīt working if you approach me with disrespect.

Prince Charming
09-19-2016, 01:39 PM
Knowing you I knew this was bound to happen someday...I have always been able to communicate with you without you been disrespectful to me..and me probably not being disrespectful to you..but guess this is the day then..
That is absolutly brilliant prince charming, because I was nīt keen on sharing publicly my scenefiles? then I am one of the more selfish one here on the forums?
I have shared files privatly to others before..I have some scenefiles shared publicly..some have used it commercially without giving me credit even if they said they would

Do you see me remove my small showcases on the tube like you do?..
What side of the bed did you wake up here? I donīt know what kind of manners you conduct to communicate and get friendly with folks? If you think you will get more out of it somehow..you are definitly wrong.
You should go and ask others here if they think I am selfish with sharing knowledge or not.

If you consider keeping your hard work of stuff for yourself as being selfish..well:stumped:
How many scenefiles have you shared? I have some scenefiles shared before you know, but if you go for some of my declination of some requests here and judge it from that..then your full of ******** regarding that.

I didnt think your comment was any less offensive than mine. Also, if that was the only time I had seen you not share something I would not had said anything, but I have seen you act the same way many times in the past. I am not even blaming you for it. I totally understand why you are like that... I just thought it was funny that you were the one criticizing me for it in the previous post.

prometheus
09-19-2016, 01:41 PM
I didnt think your comment was any less offensive than mine. Also, if that was the only time I had seen you not share something I would not had said anything, but I have seen you act the same way many times in the past. I am not even blaming you for it. I totally understand why you are like that... I just thought it was funny that you were the one criticizing me for it in the previous post.

where did I ever mention and criticize you in the very first post I quoted you? maybe you perceive my "You" as personally you,, where I ment generally if one adapts a sort of state of mind?
Oh..tell me where I did post scenefiles then ..rather then focusing on where I didnīt.
If you cant find them I could get back to you and inform you.

My post was never a critic against you, just some thoughts around what One may have as a state of mind and what One may expect...somewhere in that post you must have taken offense..but I donīt know where?

prometheus
09-19-2016, 01:49 PM
And this?
" I just thought it was funny that you were the one criticizing me for it in the previous post. "

I never criticized you for removing your youtube vids...that you got completly wrong.

allabulle
09-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Gentlemen, please. You don't need to share that much. You can argue in private and it would be fine. The article is not about you. :)

50one
09-19-2016, 01:56 PM
But, they both sharing their views...for free.

I did stuff for free many times but not on here as I'm more Modo than LW and never expecy anything for it, sometimes it's good to make stuff for free if you got tine and resources. Hell, I still do stuff for free, now it's called free pitching lol.

prometheus
09-19-2016, 01:56 PM
I also make a difference between finnished scene setups, where I really isnīt keen on giving away hard voxel work for others to use commercially etc, which has not much to do with learning how to work with hypervoxels, a setup without voxels as someone requested is quite pointless...why not just add sunsky themself, the scenefile with the voxel work I do not wanīt to share..itīs just a use mostly of my work, not something you learn much from.

Sharing tips and tricks on how to do it is something else..and that I can gladely do if I got the time.
So sharing scenefiles and sharing knowledge is something I rather keep a bit differentiated ..unless it is necessary with a scene object file.

Prince Charming
09-19-2016, 02:11 PM
where did I ever mention and criticize you in the very first post I quoted you? maybe you perceive my "You" as personally you,, where I ment generally if one adapts a sort of state of mind?
Oh..tell me where I did post scenefiles then ..rather then focusing on where I didnīt.
If you cant find them I could get back to you and inform you.

My post was never a critic against you, just some thoughts around what One may have as a state of mind and what One may expect...somewhere in that post you must have taken offense..but I donīt know where?

It was not that offensive, but I dont really think I am a glass half empty type of person. I always just try to be as fair, honest, and happy as possible. Does not sharing your scene file make you a "glass half empty" person?
I was not trying to be offensive either... I was just giving you my honest opinion. Did not mean for you to take offence, but sometimes the truth hurts ;)

prometheus
09-19-2016, 02:20 PM
It was not that offensive, but I dont really think I am a glass half empty type of person. I always just try to be as fair, honest, and happy as possible. Does not sharing your scene file make you a "glass half empty" person?
I was not trying to be offensive either... I was just giving you my honest opinion. Did not mean for you to take offence, but sometimes the truth hurts ;)

yeah..I appreciate your feedback, but truth is from your perspective and what you think you know...You always have to consider what you write and say, I know you often are frank, but I also see you painting yourself to a corner of being not polite..political correct, by being frank in a way that it may be perceived as non courteous or rude, maybe to fast to judge and react to strong on things?
When you go out and write..that someone is the most selfish among all here in this forum, you should really take that in to consideration if that statement truly is true right? if you think so without any good assertments based on the feeling you have..you should really just shut up and keep it for yourself before you loose more and more respect by others here.
Then again..you simply might not care..then I rest my case.

I know Ivé been sharing scenefiles, and trying to help people out with stuff, and giving a lot of tips and tricks...so what You perceive as selfsish regarding my obstinance by keeping my hard work for myself as being selfish, that I do not recognize, and takes offence of strongly.
So the question is if your response simply was because I must have offended you..or if your respons simply is a matter of long build up of recognizing me as selfish?
Anyway...I guess I will have to take a closer look on what I wrote that upset you.
I honestly donīt believe you on this..."Did not mean for you to take offence, but sometimes the truth hurts"

And not sharing my scenefiles..no that doesnīt make me feel like a half glass person, should I release all my harddrive content for everyone perhaps? and if I am not..I am half glass person? weird.
Ivé been asked for lot of scenefiles, some I choose to share..some I donīt, and it is my choice only, as it is for you to share your youtube vids..with knowledge and not scenefiles..itīs up to you and I would never consider calling you selfish for removing them nor has I.
Itīs good though you do have a sense of self knowledge as your title prince charming says :)

prometheus
09-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Ha..to lighten social conversations up a bit.
the coach of New York rangers about swedish player Hagelin..
He is a great player and I love the guy, but in powerplay..he stinks (truth hurts ..huhh.)
https://www.nhl.com/news/tortorella-says-hagelin-stinks-on-power-play/c-17696

Prince Charming
09-19-2016, 03:08 PM
I have to add one more thing here because it needs to be said IMO.

Nelson Mandela is no person you want to be quoting. His legacy is a creation of propagandists, and he sold out his own people and became a western puppet at a time when his people could have finally gotten rid of the colonialist who were enslaving them, but instead they let him out of jail and used him as a literal puppet to contain the situation. This guy you are quoting is a traitor to his people, and the sad part is "education" has taught american people, and south African people a fictional version of reality. Thats what an "education" and some good propaganda will get you.

Education is a weapon... that is for sure.
http://mayihlomenews.co.za/the-mandela-deception/

Its so crazy how unintelligent, and out of touch with reality many of these "educated" people are.

prometheus
09-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Back to focus on the topic..
From the article.
"Create an article explaining a tool or sharing a technique and offer it up to a magazine or site. Not only could this be a great way to share your knowledge and a self-promotional tool, it can also be a nice additional source of income. "

Here is where educational sharing is needed to find out the secrets of getting additional source of income, care to share? :)

This..qoute...
"Once you’ve put in some time answering posts and you’re ready to take it to the next level, start tackling questions you don’t know the answer to. Try and solve another artists’ problem and if you come up with the answer, not only have you helped someone, you’ve learned something new in the process. How cool is that?"

I have found that rewarding too, as long as it does get solved and not taking days to solve, this is very rewarding and you engage some brain cells to overcome the issues and find solutions, and if it helps others as well as improves on your own problem solving..thatīs just great.

erikals
09-19-2016, 04:40 PM
this is what could be called,
The Absolute Progress

while sharing often won't give back results directly, it gives results indirectly.

so if you want to do it to move forward in the industry, this will not always be so.
i never sought that anyway, so no problemo, but for those who do, true, you often won't get something back, directly.
job offers also of course comes down to following the societies' rules and playing "nice"   (+relativity and all that)

but by sharing you move the world forward, and ultimately people of the world will benefit from this,
maybe not you directly, but maybe your family, or someone you know. it's inevitable. it's progress. Absolute Progress.

-----------------------------

William, thanks, i thought it was nice info, and a fun read.  http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

I remember when I first started working with Bezier curves, and after a day of struggle, I swore I would never touch a computer again.

wingzeta
09-19-2016, 04:50 PM
I just want to say, I pretty much got started in Lightwave learning from William Vaughan's videos, and I can still hear his relaxed, monotone, delivery in my head when I do certain things in LW. For me, he is the "Bob Ross" of LW instruction. I am thankful he decided to share his knowledge. I still think that "24 hours of training" series was a great format, and go in search of those videos on youtube whenever I can't remember some rarely used tool or technique he covered. I think they should still all be on the LW website, with the out of date ones in a "legacy" category, because a lot of the knowledge is still relevant. Next time LW3DG knows the interface is locked in for the next few versions, they should do another series like that.

Anyway, thanks William!

WilliamVaughan
09-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the interest in the article. Sharing knowledge may not be for everyone. For me it has been very rewarding on an educational level as it has helped me understand the things more than if I didn’t stop to share.
I enjoy sharing things I’ve learned and can’t imagine not sharing things I learn. I get very excited when I work out a new technique or learn a new tool and instantly want to share. It’s this desire to share that has probably pulled me towards teaching over the last 20+ years.

Back to focus on the topic..
From the article.
"Create an article explaining a tool or sharing a technique and offer it up to a magazine or site. Not only could this be a great way to share your knowledge and a self-promotional tool, it can also be a nice additional source of income. "
Here is where educational sharing is needed to find out the secrets of getting additional source of income, care to share? :)

Most magazines and several online sites pay for tutorials, articles and content. Some pay per word and some have flat fees. Sites and magazines are always looking for good content.

@erikals- Love your share… Absolute Progress… nice!
@wingzeta- Happy to hear the videos have helped… I enjoyed putting those together.

I have a couple new articles in the works that I'll be sharing in the future. more to come.

paulhart
09-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Just to chime in, I too have learned a tremendous amount from William Vaughan videos across the years. I also share short explanations, screen shots, short videos about areas of concern, etc. I also feel that I learn, when I share with others, and am immensely enriched by the sharing by others. While I have bought RHiggit Pro, the videos he offers were instrumental in my development and choices. Good positive stuff. Thank you.

Snosrap
09-19-2016, 10:01 PM
I love sharing my knowledge! What little there is. :)

jeric_synergy
09-19-2016, 10:33 PM
But, they both sharing their views...for free.

LOL. :ohmy:

--I was going to write "Well, THAT went downhill quickly", but yours is better.

jeric_synergy
09-19-2016, 11:12 PM
I wanted to share a new article I wrote for Pixel Fondue that just went live this morning. Check it out here:

https://pixelfondue.squarespace.com/blog/2016/9/6/giving-back-to-move-forward

Thanks William!!!

(But DAMN that is a terrible font: I can barely read it. /whine #firstworldproblems )

bazsa73
09-20-2016, 12:52 AM
Time to share something. Great article William, always enjoyed your tutorials.

(the font is really horrible)

jeric_synergy
09-20-2016, 01:22 AM
(the font is really horrible)
It's NOT just me. ;)

bazsa73
09-20-2016, 02:36 AM
It's NOT just me. ;)

That was the first thing I noticed. :)

Spinland
09-20-2016, 02:47 AM
Great stuff William, and thanks for...well, sharing it. ;D

WilliamVaughan
09-20-2016, 05:46 AM
Apologies for the font issue... didnt see it. Should match the rest of the site now.

Spinland
09-20-2016, 06:37 AM
Apologies for the font issue... didnt see it. Should match the rest of the site now.

You Da Mang. :rock:

erikals
09-20-2016, 06:43 AM
indeed, i still launch William's LightWave tutorials several times a month.  http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

allabulle
09-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Since the font is corrected (much better now, thanks!), I'd like to point out that the massive purple banner on top of the site leaves an uncomfortable small space to read on a laptop with 1366x768 display resolution. On my Android tablet, though, the banner scrolls up with the rest of the page. Anyway, leaving more than a third of the screen for a banner that stays there all the time is not ideal, I think, for the user experience. Just a suggestion, mind you. Oh, and thanks again for the article.

WilliamVaughan
09-20-2016, 08:24 AM
Since the font is corrected (much better now, thanks!), I'd like to point out that the massive purple banner on top of the site leaves an uncomfortable small space to read on a laptop with 1366x768 display resolution. On my Android tablet, though, the banner scrolls up with the rest of the page. Anyway, leaving more than a third of the screen for a banner that stays there all the time is not ideal, I think, for the user experience. Just a suggestion, mind you. Oh, and thanks again for the article.

Others have mentioned it and they are checking in on changing the header

allabulle
09-20-2016, 08:30 AM
Others have mentioned it and they are checking in on changing the header

Thanks. That would be great.

jeric_synergy
09-20-2016, 09:12 AM
LOL, William, now we just can't stop.

Coincidentally, shortly before I saw this I had already shared an interesting tidbit. It feels good. ;)

Spinland
09-21-2016, 06:24 AM
LOL, William, now we just can't stop.

Coincidentally, shortly before I saw this I had already shared an interesting tidbit. It feels good. ;)

Yep! I very much appreciate the tips, insights and direct help I've received both from William and from this group over the years. I would gladly share any tips or tricks I've come up with on my own—as soon as there are any. Compared to most of you goons on here I am still so very much a LW n00b, even after all this time. ;D

pnelson
09-26-2016, 10:41 AM

I think the spirit of the article isn't about getting something from sharing your knowledge but more along the line of thinking where you will be happy in a job. Most artists love making art.. If they don't think about where they want to be, they will find them selves moving up the management ladder and doing everything but the art...

Spinland
09-26-2016, 12:07 PM
I think the spirit of the article isn't about getting something from sharing your knowledge but more along the line of thinking where you will be happy in a job. Most artists love making art.. If they don't think about where they want to be, they will find them selves moving up the management ladder and doing everything but the art...

Yeah, this resonates. When you cast your proverbial bread upon the equally-proverbial waters, if you're doing so while monitoring your ROI I respectfully submit you're doing it wrong.