PDA

View Full Version : Fusion - bandiing in Z depth ?

madno
09-17-2016, 08:02 AM
Hi,

I exported a multilayer exr from LW. It included the Z depth.
Viewing that in Fusion results in banding issues
(the screenshot has an sRGB LUT applied to make the effect more pronounced. But a similar issue is visible with linear gamma).

I remember there was something about normalizing the Z path but I am not sure about it anymore.

Maybe somebody has a hint?

vonpietro
09-17-2016, 09:23 AM
prob an 8bit vs 16bit issue

50one
09-17-2016, 10:13 AM
prob an 8bit vs 16bit issue

Fusion zdepth can be a dick sometimes especially with exr! Try exporting 16bit tga or png and everyrhing will work fine.

Edit: there's also a case where you can't preview the colour on screen as it goes way beyond the 8 but spectrum, so you might be fine doing DOF or turning that into World position pass in fusion even tho it looks wonky, but if not then go with separate file that is not EXR.

aquinde
09-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Are you using EXR Trader or the LW native exporter?

If using EXR Trader you may want to mess with the settings in the Processing tab of the Depth channel. It took me some time to figure out that the Minimum and Maximum fields refer to distance in Meters from the camera.

Maybe its similar in the LW native exporter?

madno
09-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys.
I am using LW native. Seems everything is ok. Got the Kat Meyers LW to Fusion training which helps.

I noticed that Layout crashes when trying to save an exr at high resolutions. Memory went to 21 GB (64 GB installed) during the "post render" process (the part when you already see the render in the preview but the continue button is still grayed out) then "do you want to create a crash report" appears :-(