PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everybody

>X<
12-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Hi all,
I am new here and i find your work amazing. Plus i thought i'd have a go myself, however, i just cant do it :(. I have looked at some of the tuts here but i just can't do it.

Are there any n00b friendlt tutorials you know of.

Thanks >X<

siproductions
12-13-2003, 05:11 PM
Welcome!!! You will be making great images in no time if you work at it. This is the best list of tutorials that I have seen. http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm Have fun and always keep waving.:)

WizCraker
12-13-2003, 08:21 PM
If you cant follow these (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html) I don't know what to tell you other than make sure you read the manual.

toby
12-14-2003, 12:35 AM
no, don't read the manual, STUDY it.

>X<
12-14-2003, 06:48 AM
OK.. reading the manual looks like a good start, lol.

Nemoid
12-14-2003, 07:10 AM
Welcome!
You could also buy Dan Ablam inside Lightwave 7 (8 is incoming though). good book to start for noobs at all.

marc
12-14-2003, 12:10 PM
I would suggest that you start by setting a goal that you would like to achieve, e.g. "a gnome walking down the street" or "an ancient city in the mountains". Anything you might think is challenging yet feasible.

With this goal in mind you can use the manual and tutorials to teach you how to solve the problems that you encounter on your way. Personally I tend to forget what I learn from tutorials unless I apply my newfound knowledge in my own project.

Marc

mamurphy
12-14-2003, 12:47 PM
As someone who is a relative noob, I would suggest you learn the functions of each tool in Modeler and Layout.

Make sure you study the Manual and try to use each tool as it explains them.

Check out
www.suture.net
This is an outstanding site for understanding a lot of the basic (and not so basic tools) in modeler.

Make sure you get in and play with each tool so you can see how they react to your mouse clicks and pulls.

Some of the tutorials on Newtek's site may seem difficult, but most of them go over basic modeling and layout functions and theories before they get too deep into the hard stuff.

Also check out
www.3dgarage.com
and
www.3dtrainingonline.com
Youcan download some great free tutorials from Dan and Larry where they talk you through from basic to intermediate functions.

That's just two sites, there are a LOT more. Just do a search for LW tutorials on the web...

I've also found that looking at other peoples posts and critiques(wireframes/full renders) is a good way to learn how to build a clean mesh and get a good render.

Last but not least, 3rd party books: The Inside Lightwave series is a must, and check out Jeremy Birn's Digital Lighting and Rendering. It has a lot of good lighting techniques and color theory for beginners.

milkman
12-14-2003, 03:39 PM
www.3dbuzz.com - register, go to the downloads section, and theres some good free video tutorials on lightwave (and many other 3d packages!)

marc
12-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Last but not least, 3rd party books: The Inside Lightwave series is a must, and check out Jeremy Birn's Digital Lighting and Rendering. It has a lot of good lighting techniques and color theory for beginners.
Yes, that's a very helpful book. It'll definitely help you with lighting and composition. Actually, i was reading it just an hour ago.

Also I can recommend a book that I found very helpful regarding camerawork and editing: Joseph V. Mascelli The Five C's of Cinematography Silman James Press, 1965

Not exactly new but many of the rules explained here are still valid. The five Cs are Camera Angles, Continuity, Cutting, Close-Ups, Composition. The examples are a bit dated but I for one learned quite a lot with this from this book.

Marc

mamurphy
12-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Holy Cow!

i was just at
www.dvgarage.com
and the "observations", "Tutorials", and "Critiques" movies they have are tremendous.

They aren't exactly lightwave specific but the technique and theory can be applied universally.

They pay special attention to detailing with "grunge maps" on the specularity, bump, and reflection channels.

These can be very useful tutorials for putting a lot of those finishing touches on renders.

adboy
12-16-2003, 07:54 AM
real basic one here and will get u going nicely

http://www.btinternet.com/~realism3d/blood.htm

>X<
12-16-2003, 10:17 AM
i'm looking a the manual but there so much to read...
i've also got to revise for GCSE's so first of all i'll revise then when my GCSE's are done in may i will then (try to) study the manual in hope to achieve a little knowledge on the program.

for now, i think i will follow the blood tutorial becuase i like to jump into things straght away. I'll get round to the manual when i have more time on my hands.

thanks >X<

p.s thanks for the help, and the blood tut :p :D

archiea
12-17-2003, 03:45 PM
trust me, thought, at least go through dan's Inside book... its good to generally touch over everything. that wasy you don't limit yourself down the road....

An area that so many people don't take time for in 3D is in learning ... and personal hygene:rolleyes:

riki
12-17-2003, 09:48 PM
It's pretty simple really once you get started. Check my modeling tuts below.