PDA

View Full Version : Rig

THIBAULT
09-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Good evening, I like to know if there is a rig library for LW (walking, running, etc.)
Thank you in advance

allabulle
09-16-2016, 02:55 PM
As in BVH format of motion capture data library? Or do you mean rigs (bones and nulls, skeletons) tailored to specific animation tasks or complexities?

THIBAULT
09-17-2016, 12:08 AM
Thank Allabulle, i'm interesting by BHV i suppose. Totaly newbee with character animation. I just want animated human in architectural animation.

MonroePoteet
09-17-2016, 08:17 AM
I'm a total novice at BVH integration, but here's Carnegie Mellon's animation library of BVH files:

http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/

and the "Daz-friendly BVH release":

https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/cgspeed/motion-capture/daz-friendly-release

and the text description of all the files:

https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/cgspeed/motion-capture/cmu-bvh-conversion/bvh-conversion-release---motions-list

I'm sure there are more expert members who can advise you better, but my minimal experimenting uses the Mocap_BVH_Setup plugin with a Bone Scale Factor of 0.01, add a dummy Bone to the geometry so you can use Properties=>Use Bones From Object to select the imported rig's parent object, disable the Bones for manipulation (select all bones, CTRL-r), fit the rig to the model (and vice versa if required), re-rest the bones (select all bones, "r"), and play.

MUCH easier said than done in my minimal experience. Good luck!

mTp

THIBAULT
09-17-2016, 08:20 AM
Many many thanks Monroe !
much appreciated

Ma3rk
09-17-2016, 10:54 AM
Thank Allabulle, i'm interesting by BHV i suppose. Totaly newbee with character animation. I just want animated human in architectural animation.

I've always had issues trying to use the BVH data in LW but don't think I tried MonroePoteet's steps.

Perhaps a bit of an expensive route, I have had very good results with Smith-Micro's Poser. The Pro versions of Poser give you the Fusion plug-ins allowing you to directly import a Poser scene into Layout. It does come with some basic poses and animation presets, but it's actual animation tools are odd and a bit frustrating to work with compared to Lightwave. For simple stuff they're workable enough though. After importing a Poser scene, you can't do any animation manipulation directly within Layout, only scaling & general placement; you have to go back to the original Poser scene to make any changes. However, with a bit of Save As... and copying of image files, you can break out the models that are then entirely Lightwave. I've had pretty good luck doing this then rigging using Rebel Hills RHiggit tools.

RebelHill
09-17-2016, 11:20 AM
There's really 2 ways to do it...

First is the quick n dirty, pretty much as MP states... load the bvh, refit it it to your desired character mesh as best you can, rebind, and let it go. You'll get foot slide, or other "scale errors" where the proportions of the recorded motion dont match the proportions of your given character mesh, but if all you need is something basic, it can do just fine.

Second is the fully retargeted setup, where you'll need a rigged character mesh, and some form of retargeter to get the source motion properly applied. If you want to do this all in LW, then as mentioned, my RHiggit toolset has all the necessaries for it, another option is to take your character meshes, and put them through something like the mixamo service, where you can get some basic autorigging and good retargeting from their motion library, importing the finished things into LW (via fbx) when they're done. Either way here, there's cost involved, and also some manual work which'll require you to get to grips with some workflow on the LW side itself (not dificult nor long winded once you have the hang of it).

prometheus
09-17-2016, 04:26 PM
You could start easy by importing bvh files on to daz figures and get some from the libraries that was linked before, the problem may be to view them all and find the right ones, and not all of them seem to fit properly even though it is said to have been processed to fit genesis figures.
to clear animation in daz ..go to edit/figure/clear animation/clear figure pose..that will reset the animation and you can try other bvh files.
exporting with fbx to lightwave and you will have the animation there.

You could also pose things yourself and add o anim blocks, or use provided walk cycle that is within the animate block..you have one forward cycle block which you can drag to the animate timelinde, you do have to bake animate to studio keys by right clicking in the animate toolbar and select bake to keys...otherwise your animation will not come through.
the walk cycle has some uggly feet offset, there is an icon of a shoe/heel, click on that and correct offset to something about 20 degrees.
You can also look the hip so the figure walks in place, by selecting the hip and lock translation x-y-z

More fun but more advanced would be to follow Rebelhills stuff, or checkout nevron motion for retargeting, and maybe get motionbuilder.

allabulle
09-19-2016, 09:15 AM
So, there. :)

I'm sorry I'm that late to answer but I was busy. But you've got plenty to chew now anyway.