PDA

View Full Version : UV map help needed

madno
09-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Hi,

trying to create a UV map for a selected single polygon of an object.
Goal is, that the polygon vertices fit the UV space edges.
I tried with the different map creation tools but with no luck.
LW manual says a lot about mapping, but to me it's still not clear how to solve the above challange.

If I move the vertices manually in the map, then the object itself is affected which I don't want.

???

EDIT:

After further experimentation, I found out that unweld seems to do the trick.
Unweld that polygon -> manually move vertices in map view.

But is there a way to get the result without the manual fiddling?

MichaelT
09-16-2016, 12:42 AM
I would say use an atlas... but just make sure you have selected the polygon you want an UV for. Then you can drag around the UV points just fine.

madno
09-16-2016, 01:53 AM
Thanks.

hrgiger
09-16-2016, 02:37 AM
If you want to fill the entire UV space with a single polygon than use the Set UV Value command. U refers to from left to right and V refers to bottom to top. So selecting points and setting it to U and 0% will align your points on the left side of the UV space, 100% will set them to the right. Setting V and 0% will set them at the bottom of the UV space and V and 100% will align them to the top.

JoePoe
09-16-2016, 07:19 AM
Hi,

A) moving a point in UV space should not move it on the object. That's weird.

B) Filling space..... Select the poly and use "New Quad Poly Map", under UV texture > More > Poly Map >.... Does the fitting for you :boogiedow.

bobakabob
09-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Hi,

A) moving a point in UV space should not move it on the object. That's weird.

Yes, never experienced that... I've not yet had to unweld polys before shifting them around in UV space. When might this be necessary?

MichaelT
09-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Yes, never experienced that... I've not yet had to unweld polys before shifting them around in UV space. When might this be necessary?

I've actually experienced that once or twice. But this is not something I normally see. It might be a bug actually.

Snosrap
09-16-2016, 12:32 PM
madno - to me it seems that the "root" of your trouble is a poor process of developing your scene. It looks like you are creating some kind of desk with monitors - it may be best to create those as separate items as they are in the real world and assemble your scene in Layout. If you create all your objects separately at 0,0,0 it's a lot easier to UV and in most cases you may not even have to UV as you could just use planar/cubic mapping.

Danner
09-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Creating each thing in it's own layer is a good idea, but for game assets the more stuff you can fit into a single image and single UV, the better.

madno
09-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Hi,

thanks for the valuable tips.

To Snosrap:
Yes and again yes. I don't do 3D on a daily basis and feel the lack of experience all the time.

Anyway worked so far (WIP - and all the free space is for text to be added later).

Snosrap
09-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Wow! What is it?

madno
09-16-2016, 10:39 PM
It's the machine park for printing newspapers :)

Snosrap
09-17-2016, 02:02 PM
It's the machine park for printing newspapers :):stumped: Whatever that is.