PDA

View Full Version : NDI Bandwidth use

DStoneburner
09-15-2016, 04:23 PM
I have recently upgraded to an 8000 and AE 2 on my 460s. Here is my scenario. College Soccer field - 3 cameras on a 460 AE2. Program streamed back to main control room using a Blonder Tongue MPEG2 encoder-multicast, into router, into ESPN encoder, streamed to ESPN3. Output to ESPN3 is dedicated bandwidth no issues there. At the soccer field I also have to stream for my international audience directly from tricaster. At the main control room I route the program video to a 3play for replay, then NDI that back to Soccer field. A little delay, but works. So using NDI, I tried sending 2 of my cameras and program feed NDI to my 8000, then their outputs directly into router, then into 3play. That way I have all angles, but I also need all audio to cut a highlight reel. So on the subnet, I have 18mbs stream back to main control, 2-4mbs for international, and then 4 NDI 1080i sources with audio. In theory it worked, but the video coming back from soccer to 8000 was too choppy and the audio was compressed and robotic. So I ended up just being able to take one camera with audio from the field and send back the replay. So from 4 to 2 NDI 1080i sources on the subnet. I'm not sure where my bottleneck is. So I thought I would ask how much bandwidth a 1080i source with audio uses. I still need to work with my network guys, but won't be able to till later next week.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

David

John Freedom
09-15-2016, 05:20 PM
We did a football game Saturday. It have 3 NDI 1080i cams (video and audio) and an audio mixer output all plugged into a TC Mini at the stadium.

A TC 460 at the studio end grabbed the signals. We sent the output of TC460 back to a computer at the stadium (for the announcers to see the show with NDI Monitor).

My IT guys gave me a chart. Bandwidth was 160,000 kbits/sec. They set up a 1Gigabit connection point to point with some fiber in the middle. It worked great!

See the attached file.

Radio_TVPat1982
09-16-2016, 06:04 AM
John if you dont mind sharing how did you convert the cameras from SDI/HDMI to NDI? Connect Pro?

DStoneburner
09-16-2016, 09:47 AM
We did a football game Saturday. It have 3 NDI 1080i cams (video and audio) and an audio mixer output all plugged into a TC Mini at the stadium.

A TC 460 at the studio end grabbed the signals. We sent the output of TC460 back to a computer at the stadium (for the announcers to see the show with NDI Monitor).

My IT guys gave me a chart. Bandwidth was 160,000 kbits/sec. They set up a 1Gigabit connection point to point with some fiber in the middle. It worked great!

See the attached file.

Thanks for the information its a great start.

DStoneburner
09-22-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm still having trouble with NDI between my 2 systems. So I've done 3 games so far since my first post. The first game I dropped an NDI source so I only had 1 1080i source coming from the field to main control room and 1 NDI source going back from 3play 425. Still choppy video playback. So then the next game I thought if I took everything down to 720, maybe it would use less bandwidth. Last Sunday worked pretty good, only a few video freezes here and there, acceptable. But last night it was unusable at 720. The NDI going from the field to main control room seemed to be ok, just the audio went out of sync. The NDI going from the 3play to the field TC 460 was choppy and freezing most of the time. I am going to try and do a bandwidth test with our IT guys next week, but in the mean time I have another game this Saturday. It seems to me that there might be a bug in the NDI update for the 3play 425. It honestly worked better before NDI. Any thoughts?

kanep
09-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Few questions. Was the choppy playback on the 3PLAY also appearing on the interface of the 3PLAY itself? Just want to make sure you aren't having hard drive issues where the system it having problems with media playback.

As for your network, here is something to try. Set the Ethernet interfaces in the TriCaster and 3PLAY to be forced to 1 Gigabit speed instead of auto-detect. Then see if they stay connected to the network. If they loose connection, then your network cables are substandard and that is probably what your problem is. What kind of Ethernet switch are you connected into?

DStoneburner
09-23-2016, 02:45 PM
The playback wasn't choppy on the 3play. I'll take a look at the network adapters. Our switch is a gigabit in the control room but the path from the field may hit some switches that I'm not sure of. Cables are good. Newtek mentioned that 720 and 1080 NDI content can be 50 to 100 mbs. Which is a starting point for me to have discussion s with the IT department. Thanks