PDA

View Full Version : Oculus Rift - Medium

Zerowaitstate
09-14-2016, 10:01 PM
1 HR Model session stream, in site to interface for 3d modeling in VR

This is exciting stuff, While still new (unreleased event) I am hoping this should silence a lot of the nay sayers

I will be attending the Oculus connect conference in October and hope to get hands on with this.

https://www.facebook.com/oculusmedium/

Danner
09-15-2016, 05:58 AM
Modeling in vr is really cool. The tools are evolving quickly but they still have a ways to go. If you haven't tried making anything in VR you have no idea how incredibly precise dimensions are. When you import a model that looked fine in a render you'll most likely notice scale errors unless you modeled every single thing to actual measured scale. any small error in proportions is very easy to spot. I haven't tried Medium it seems like it's the most advanced of the bunch. Too bad it's an Occulus exclusive and I own a Vive.

Zerowaitstate
09-15-2016, 08:33 AM
I agree what you saying the exciting stuff is that its iterating so fast.

i do a lot of work with the devs of Janus VR and really push them to get the granular control of modern day 3d apps, the idea is simple the ui dev is hard, in sence VRE is pushing 3d back in to early days of 3d Graphics.

Markc
09-15-2016, 11:59 AM
How are we supposed to use 'Medium' when the Oculus Touch has not been approved for sale :grumpy:

Julez4001
09-15-2016, 07:16 PM
How are we supposed to use 'Medium' when the Oculus Touch has not been approved for sale :grumpy:

co-sign ... have a rift and not touch except a remote and joystick not the same

Zerowaitstate
09-16-2016, 09:35 AM
AS i understand it medium will come with the Touch controllers.

Markc
09-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Any dates on that :thumbsup:

Danner
09-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Rumors point to late november for the Touch controllers, but their credibility is suspect when it comes to shipping dates.

Zerowaitstate
09-16-2016, 08:38 PM
i sure it will come out before LW Next :P

Dillon
09-16-2016, 11:12 PM
Oh my gosh...

I just realized ... if we could get LW modeling w/ 3rd Powers LWBrush (and just about every other tool) in a VR modeling environment .... I think it would be the killer app. LW Brush controlled with an Oculus Touch controller. Does anyone else get incredibly excited about this idea?

pinkmouse
09-17-2016, 04:31 AM
...Does anyone else get incredibly excited about this idea?

No, not really. ;)

Photogram
09-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Oh my gosh...

I just realized ... if we could get LW modeling w/ 3rd Powers LWBrush (and just about every other tool) in a VR modeling environment .... I think it would be the killer app. LW Brush controlled with an Oculus Touch controller. Does anyone else get incredibly excited about this idea?

Oh yes really!

pnelson
09-21-2016, 05:45 PM
I met the Oculus Medium team at San Diego Comic Con and they let me play around with Medium.. Was quite addictive to model in 3D space..

I totally geeked out and didn't want to stop!

jasonwestmas
09-21-2016, 08:35 PM
I get excited experiencing CG in the rift not working in it.

samurai_x
09-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Does anyone else get incredibly excited about this idea?

Most artists, who have never gone to a gym, will realize how tiring it is to do modelling in vr in an hour.
They'll quit and go back to using vr on mindless fps games.
How many people quit Pokemon GO after the hype? Millions every month. They got tired of walking.

Danner
09-22-2016, 06:01 AM
The one I've tried is Kodon (a basic Vive 3d modeling app) you can establish an object as a table to match your real life desk height, then you can sit down and model and put your hands or arms on your real table and it matches the virtual one so you can use it to rest now and then. The tools are very basic but the way you interact with stuff is so direct and natural that is much easier to make stuff on it than say sculptris. And yes VR is much more physical and you do get tired, I know I do in games, it's not an entirely bad thing but some are a true workout. I get tired of standing up mostly and sometimes of wearing the headset.