PDA

View Full Version : 3d print bug lightwave 2015 stl export

samurai_x
09-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Not sure if this feature was removed in lw 2015.
In lw 11 there was a simple check when exporting to stl.
Now in lw 2015 exporting to stl doesn't check for errors anymore. Is it a bug?
It was a simple and nice utility for error checking within lw.

https://s12.postimg.org/u606l9a0d/3dprint_utility.jpg

Greenlaw
09-14-2016, 02:48 PM
You know, I've been wondering that myself recently. There have been an number of times when I exported an .stl from Modeler and I got an error when I submitted the part to my Form 1+. The printer's software managed to fix the error each time but Modeler never seemed to catch it on export. (I'm still not exactly sure what the error was.)

I didn't think about this till now but you can call up Mesh Repair manually by clicking the Mesh Repair button under Detail > Polygons. (I'll try this tonight with some of the parts that error-ed and see if it catches anything.)

samurai_x
09-15-2016, 08:41 AM
You're right its there in details tab. Thanks. So its not a bug but they just removed the automation during stl export.
I was using lw 11 just for that.

Greenlaw
09-15-2016, 09:55 AM
I don't know if the automation was removed but maybe something broke so it's not catching some/all errors? I guess this would be easy enough to test...will check on that in a bit.

Greenlaw
09-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I think the auto-check feature is broken in 2015.3. To test this, I created a box, copy/pasted it a couple of times, and exported that...the Mesh Repair interface didn't pop-up at all.

I don't think the feature was intentionally removed for 2015.3--in fact, Export STL and Mesh Repair have always been separate tools and the auto-check feature for the exporter was added later on during the 11 cycle. From what I recall, it was only supposed to call Mesh Repair when the exporter caught something wrong with the mesh. But it doesn't seem to be catching obvious errors right now.

I'll submit a report for this.

samurai_x
09-16-2016, 03:16 AM
Ok so its sort of a bug only with the stl auto check. Thanks for reporting. But I'm glad I can go back to lw 2015 and do a check mesh repair manually.
Its pretty useful for models acquired from the net.

jwiede
09-24-2016, 06:26 PM
Ok so its sort of a bug only with the stl auto check. Thanks for reporting. But I'm glad I can go back to lw 2015 and do a check mesh repair manually.
Its pretty useful for models acquired from the net.

LW should be running such checks on most import/export operations (incl. LWO save/load, IMO). Import/export is rarely a performance-sensitive area (a simple pref can disable in those rare cases where checking notably harms perf), and the benefits are huge considering how poorly certain LW tools react to garbage geometry (crashing can be very costly w.r.t. lost data), or the time/$-costs associated with export problems.

LW3DG need to expose optimized mesh diagnostic/repair APIs (currently unexposed, AFAICT) so importer/exporter authors can easily add support.