PDA

View Full Version : Retreive corrupt model?

objuan
09-13-2016, 07:29 PM
I had a crash and now my model is points only, all on one layer. I have a significantly older version saved.

However, I could have sworn that some people once helped me to find some more recent versions of a model stashed in the Lightwave folders somewhere. Did I just dream that? Any ideas on trying to save a recent model?

lertola2
09-13-2016, 09:37 PM
If you have auto save objects turned on in the general preferences then there will be a folder called backup in your content directory that will have backups saved for you.

VermilionCat
09-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Also worth checking \AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub

objuan
09-14-2016, 06:33 AM
I'm feeling rather noobish today. :[

Where is this \AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub folder?

If you activate the auto save objects, does it right over your existing object automatically, or create a big long list of new ones, or what?

Thanks for the tips guys.

VermilionCat
09-14-2016, 06:56 AM
If you are using Windows then it's located in user folder where my documents are. It's hidden so change the folder settings accordingly. If you are on Mac I don't know.

lertola2
09-14-2016, 07:03 AM
I have never hard of the \lwhub folder. Maybe that is a PC thing.

Auto save objects does not touch you object. It will create a new copy of the object every time it saves. The copies are in a folder called Backkup which will be in your content folder. The backup folder has a folder named the same as the object. In that are sub folders named for the date and time when the object was saved.

objuan
09-14-2016, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys.

Super odd! My crash happened yesterday around 6pm. I rebooted, opened up my scene file, camera move and lights are in there but nothing else to look at it. I opened up my object in Modeler, just points on the first layer. I cry for a while. Spend a bunch of time trying to find these answers the last time I asked them, then give up on life to the point I watched America's Got Talent, it was that bad. This morning I close everything, and reopen it, and it's good to go. So weird! But I'm happy.

Time to activate auto save...

Cheers

jeric_synergy
09-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Time to activate auto save...
Yup. That's the take-away here.

Note that the nature of autosave is that eventually if will fill up any partition-- might take years, but there it is. If you're wondering how you're losing disk space on that smallish partition, it can be contributing to that problem.

lertola2
09-14-2016, 11:49 AM
I should also point out that there is a bug in auto saving for scene files. Auto save scene works correctly after initially opening a scene file. But once you save the scene incrementally or use the save as command to save the scene with a new name auto save scene no longer works. So if you want auto save scene to keep functioning you should close and re open the scene after every incremental save. Note that auto save objects works perfectly in both modeler and layout.