PDA

View Full Version : tweak tool symmetry not working properly

prometheus
09-12-2016, 01:46 AM
I have a nightmare case of the tweak tool not working with symmetry, neither in lw 11.6.2 or in 2015.3
and yes, I have deleted one half, made sure the mid axis edges is on zero value for x axis..merged points etc.
I have repeated this several times..with new geometry with no luck.

it is appearent when getting close to the middle line, and you can see how it highlights not equal when hovering over with the mouse.
all other stuff works drag, move, drag snap etc.

Danner
09-12-2016, 02:11 AM
This might not help at all, but the only thing I can think of would be to make the model smaller, as you get away from the origin precision is worse.

prometheus
09-12-2016, 03:52 AM
This might not help at all, but the only thing I can think of would be to make the model smaller, as you get away from the origin precision is worse.

I was fiddling with some eyewere model, some centimeters wide, when I discovered all this. ..again nothing wrong with other modify tools.
Now..I did as you suggested and made it even 1 um, still same errors and it highlights it all with assymetry.
So I thought...why not go the outer way, if the first is wrong :) so I scaled it to 500 meters, and Now it worked, the symmetry is now correct when using the tweak tool..so thanks for the suggestion here..even thought it was the other way around, I wonder where the precision starts to loose it though.
Might need to file a bug for it all.

I tried some changes in the genera options and symmetry tolerance but no luck on that.

Danner
09-12-2016, 09:00 AM
I forgot to say that too small also produces errors. This happens in other cases. Have you ever had two points apart and just can't zoom in enough to see them up close? This happens when the distance is small between the points and they are far away from the center. More than a bug it's a limitation of the engine, if it's any consolation other 3d apps suffer from the same thing. I am guessing that it's not the size of the object itself so much as the distance away from the origin relative to the distance they are from each other. In your case you made the object bigger, so the distance between points is larger now, relative to the distance from the origin. If this makes no sense I'll have to make a diagram.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2016, 09:33 AM

prometheus
09-12-2016, 04:31 PM

Not working...no effect with the tweak tool, scaling object to over one meter however works to avoid tweak giving errors in symmetry mode.

I tried some changes in the genera options and symmetry tolerance but no luck on that.