PDA

View Full Version : Show/Hide Polygon Selection

gamedesign1
09-11-2016, 08:54 AM
Hi All

Is there a way to show/hide polygon selections via a shortcut or lscript, instead of having to open the Display panel each time?
I often need to have a polygon selection active but not have the selection visible while I am working.

jeric_synergy
09-11-2016, 09:43 AM
??? I didn't even know you COULD have a Selection active and Hidden at the same time.

Or do you mean the Vuport visibility options? IDK, but that's a good question. You might check the LScript SDK/dox for such functions.

For what operations do you need to do this?
+++++

Oh, there it is in DISPLAY OPTIONS. Hmm.

You might want to REPOST this in the Scripting section. FWIW, sometimes control of the interface got rather short shrift in the scripting capabilities. :(

FWIW, you can leave the Display Options panel open while you work.

++++
http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscript/Lscript%20Index.html

++++
Maybe a real scripter can chime in here, but I suspect COMMANDINPUT is the thing you want. IIRC it is an interface between LScript and the C SDK, and allows LScript to execute short C fragments. If there is no explicity visibility controls in LScript, it's possible they exist in C, and this might be how you get at them.

Of course, you might want to get all newfangled and go with Python.

gamedesign1
09-11-2016, 09:51 AM
??? I didn't even know you COULD have a Selection active and Hidden at the same time.

Or do you mean the Vuport visibility options? IDK, but that's a good question. You might check the LScript SDK/dox for such functions.

For what operations do you need to do this?
+++++

Oh, there it is in DISPLAY OPTIONS. Hmm.

Yeah I just mean the selection visibility, not the polygon visibility. Sometimes I need to control certain parts of the geometry without affecting others, but having the selection showing is very distracting. Especially when selections show backfacing as well.

I can't see anything in LScript that allows me to control the selection display.

jboudreau
09-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Hi All

Is there a way to show/hide polygon selections via a shortcut or lscript, instead of having to open the Display panel each time?
I often need to have a polygon selection active but not have the selection visible while I am working.

Hi

The only thinng I can think of right now is you could either set one of your viewports to independant visibility and turn of polygon selection or you could go into your display options under layout tab and go under polygon selection color and change it to a color that is close you your object surface but exactly so it acts like a ghosted effect. (So it's just slightly visible)

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

gamedesign1
09-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Hi

The only thinng I can think of right now is you could either set one of your viewports to independant visibility and turn of polygon selection or you could go into your display options under layout tab and go under polygon selection color and change it to a color that is close you your object surface but exactly so it acts like a ghosted effect. (So it's just slightly visible)

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

Hi thanks for your suggestion :) I am not sure that will actually make things much more time saving as I would have to change that color everytime I was working on a different surface. I think I will just have to use the polygon selection switch in the display panel and stop complaining about it haha

Thanks though guys :)

Ma3rk
09-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Hi All

Unless I'm misunderstanding, with the polys you want to hide selected, simply hitting the minus key will hide them & keep them from being affected.

jboudreau
09-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Unless I'm misunderstanding, with the polys you want to hide selected, simply hitting the minus key will hide them & keep them from being affected.

yes he wants to hide the selection display not the polygons themselves. For example if you select a bunch of polygons then go into display mode and click off display polygon selection. The polygons are still selected but you don't see them, so he can still manipulate them, move rotate stretch ... but when he wants to select something else he has to go back into the display options panel and check back on display polygon selection so he can see what he is selecting. The problem is with going back and forth to the display panel. He needs a hot key that he can press that works like a toggle switch off and on.

I completely understand why he wants this, I've wanted this myself quite a few times. The polygon selection display can really get in the way sometimes.

Thanks,
Jason

jeric_synergy
09-11-2016, 10:45 AM
I spent 'wayy too much time looking in the LScript and C dox, and I didn't see anything. Doesn't mean it isn't there, somewhere, hidden in the programmerese.

jboudreau
09-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Hi thanks for your suggestion :) I am not sure that will actually make things much more time saving as I would have to change that color everytime I was working on a different surface. I think I will just have to use the polygon selection switch in the display panel and stop complaining about it haha

Thanks though guys :)

Yeah you are right, Okay here is a work around I just thought of it's not ideal but it works. Set two of your viewports to be perspective. Make sure independent rotation is not set on both viewports. now set one of the to have independent visibility on and turn off what you want, polygon selection, normals etc. Use the other viewport to make your selections and the 2nd viewport to see what you are doing without having polygon selection in the way.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks,
Jason

- - - Updated - - -

I spent 'wayy too much time looking in the LScript and C dox, and I didn't see anything. Doesn't mean it isn't there, somewhere, hidden in the programmerese.

I did the same thing, couldn't find it either

Thanks,
Jason

prometheus
09-11-2016, 10:47 AM
sORRY..
I missed intitial request of shortcut for it.

the workaround would be to keep one viewport in a modeling session with show polygon selection of, and another with, and switch viewport when needed.

jeric_synergy
09-11-2016, 10:57 AM
:headslap: D'oh! -- Use WEIGHT MAP FALLOFF.

No need to select the polys or points if they have a weight map applied, and the tool you are using has w.map falloff.

jboudreau
09-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Try something like this

Thanks,
Jason

jeric_synergy
09-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Which operations in particulare are we talking about?

jboudreau
09-11-2016, 11:28 AM
What do you mean?

jeric_synergy
09-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Sorry.... I was wondering if the OP was using basic tools, or more advanced stuff.

I think you have the winning workflow here, but am looking at the tools to see which ones do/don't have FALLOFF: W.MAP options>

NO = Axis Translate (weak!) (NO to all "Axis..." tools: "Axis Center"??? What's that?)
YES= Move
YES= Drag
NO = Rove (I'm the only one that uses ROVE anyway....)
NO = Tweak ([email protected], I shoulda been using Tweak more...)
YES= Dragnet
YES= Magnet
YES= Shear
YES= Stretch
YES= Rotate
NO = Bend (!!!)
YES= Twist
YES= Vortex
YES= Taper and Taper Constrain

Most of the olde tools have w.map falloff, most of the new tools do not.

++
Weirdly, I got ONE auto-incremented weight map auto generated and thought "Great!" but just the one : first one called "Weight", then "Weight 1", then it busted. Too bad. I think a script that automatically generates incremented w.maps would be helpful. Sadly, selecting w.maps still blows chunks-- how could this be so completely lame??? :devil:

IMM, You should be able to get a w.map with a lame-ish name w/one button push (and a better name with a little more work), and you should be able to SELECT that w.map's members with one click in a scrolling list.

gamedesign1
09-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Yeah I really like the idea of having the two windows open with the two different display settings, that works great :)
I was actually creating Parts for each polygon selection so I could select them from the Statistics without having the selection highlighted. So this is similar to the weight map idea in a way. I am mostly using LWBrush tools at the moment for character modelling and they don't have the option to use a weight map falloff.

Thanks guys for your suggestions :)

Exception
09-13-2016, 09:34 AM
Maybe a silly answer, but what about making the selection, then hit '=' to hide everything but the selection, and then deselect? If you only have the selection in view, that's the only stuff you can edit. Alternatively copy paste the object into the background and have it as a background layer to still see the other geometry?

jeric_synergy
09-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Of course that would work, but it seems a very artificial WAY of working. Being able to see the entire model, in the foreground, is a huge difference.

But hey, it might suit the OP. And, it can probably be scripted so it's all one button push.

gamedesign1
09-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Maybe a silly answer, but what about making the selection, then hit '=' to hide everything but the selection, and then deselect? If you only have the selection in view, that's the only stuff you can edit. Alternatively copy paste the object into the background and have it as a background layer to still see the other geometry?

Thanks for your suggestion but normally I need to see the whole model while working. For example when I am making clothes for a character or getting eyelids to sit nice and close to an eye ball.

gamedesign1
09-13-2016, 11:09 AM
Of course that would work, but it seems a very artificial WAY of working. Being able to see the entire model, in the foreground, is a huge difference.

But hey, it might suit the OP. And, it can probably be scripted so it's all one button push.

I wish I could set it up on a button, but I can't find that check box in the SDK :(

erikals
09-13-2016, 12:49 PM
thought about making an AHK script that did something like this,
-on keypress [x]
-open properties
-click winpos x=150 y=250
-close properties

...it would be an ugly hack... :o

jeric_synergy
09-13-2016, 01:16 PM
I wish I could set it up on a button, but I can't find that check box in the SDK :(

Not what I meant (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist): what I meant was:

COPY ORIGINAL LAYER TO EMPTY LAYER
PUT IN BG
HIDE ALL BUT SELECTED

is probably a scriptable sequence. But not worth it. Plus, if you're subd modeling, the edges might get funky.

Go with the 2 vuport solution, young padawan.