PDA

View Full Version : Any way to set existing points to a specified radius?

DelendaMaximus
09-10-2016, 07:09 PM
Is there a key (or other way) to set a group of points to a specified radius around a specified axis?

I'm thinking of a variant of the 'v' (Set Value) key...

Thanks,
DM

hrgiger
09-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Not that I'm aware. Could you just create a cylinder at the desired radius and hit k to kill the polygons and leave the points behind?

DelendaMaximus
09-10-2016, 07:20 PM
hrgiger,

Thanks for the quick reply - yup that would work but I'm dealing with an existing point set.

I stretched instead of sized and something got kinked and I didn't see it when I saved... Oh well, looks like I will have to rebuild it.

Cheers,
DM

ernpchan
09-10-2016, 07:21 PM
You could clone array the points.

If you're into scripting you could write a script to do this.

js33
09-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Just make a disc where you want the existing points to be and simply drag each point to match the disc then delete the disc. Of course make the template disc with the same number of points you want to line up.

JoePoe
09-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Make a tube (high poly most likely) with the desired radius on specified axis..... then heat shrink.

Before..... 134448 After.... 134449

prometheus
09-10-2016, 08:57 PM
why not just use bg conform, specify a radius circle in a background layer aligned in the axis you want, switch to the point layer but keep the background layer as background layer selected, run BGconform or simply use heatshrink mode normals and use 1005

daforum
09-11-2016, 01:35 AM
hrgiger,

Thanks for the quick reply - yup that would work but I'm dealing with an existing point set.

I stretched instead of sized and something got kinked and I didn't see it when I saved... Oh well, looks like I will have to rebuild it.

Cheers,
DM

If you do have to rebuild it there is a direct way to conform points to an object: use Spray from Pictrix.
http://www.pictrix.jp/?s=Spray&submit=Search
Check the QT demo to see what can be done...

Hope it helps.

erikals
09-11-2016, 02:58 AM
why not just use bg conform, specify a radius circle in a background layer aligned in the axis you want, switch to the point layer but keep the background layer as background layer selected, run BGconform or simply use heatshrink mode normals and use 1005

yep.

hypersuperduper
09-11-2016, 03:09 AM
You can use a nodal displacement in layout to lock points to a specified radius and then save transformed. A sphere is easy Normalize position vectors, multiply by desired radius, Done. If you want a ring, just multiply the x y or z value of the position vector by 0 before you normalize. A cylinder is probably not too hard but will involve some basic trigonometry.

Edit: or use heat shrink and save yourself the trouble.