PDA

View Full Version : Axe vibration?

objuan
09-09-2016, 09:50 AM
I want to throw an axe into a big block of wood. (in LW, as well as at the Renaissance Fair)

What is the best way to have the axe/handle vibrate a little once it hits, and then settle? The part in the wood should not be vibrating.

I guess some sheared morphs is my first thought, but it seems like there could well be a better way? Especially if I wanted multiple axes that hit at different angles. Preferably a way that automatically dampens the vibrations realishly...

jeric_synergy
09-09-2016, 09:58 AM
1) Morph targets. The only issue might be that morphs always move in straight lines, but depending on the amplitude of the vibration it might be fine, ESP. with some motion blur.

2) Bone chain. Pick one axis and select them all, bend, and keyframe. For a realistic vibration (ie, <1 sec), just keyframe by hand. For a cartoony animation, set up the IK and animate the Goal by hand. You might be able to apply a Motion Modifier to the goal to make it easy to tweek the decay. I think there's one called "Oscillate" or like, that has decay options.

prometheus
09-09-2016, 12:41 PM
maybe shoot one particle on to your object that has object collision set to stick, that way you can throw the axe, wether or not that is feasable with rotation til it hits and does so properly with the axe blade I do not now at this time.
for vibration, I suppose that should only be on the shaft and not the blade since that is stuck firm in the wood, softfx (old fx system) on the blade perhaps with some wave operator?

or if particle dynamics isnīt necessary and if you keyframe the main motiont sort of, soft fx will work anyway ..and a little simpler to setup with skipping the particle dynamics.

Michael

prometheus
09-09-2016, 12:57 PM
bullet can also be an option with deforming body ofcourse.
not something that is related to axe vibrate..but showcase that this pin can be fixed an swing, and if you change some parameters it may work to look like a more vibrating thingy.

You may want to create a weightmap where you go 100% weight deform at the end of the axe, and less at the beginning of the shaft, it requires a lot of tweaking though I suspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCCRYSxyTbE&index=3&list=PLdaQ-nxd0g2dIu2-FMjBVkjBaF_7JJ9F4

bazsa73
09-09-2016, 01:54 PM
An axe doesn't vibrate when it hits the wood. The wood or tree rather, but the axe remains fix. An arrow would vibrate.

MonroePoteet
09-09-2016, 02:48 PM
I'd try using a 4-bone chain: 1 for the head (non-vibrating - IK not affected by descendents), 2 for the handle (1 short for the "neck", one long for the "handle"), and 1 for a "goal bone" for IK off the end of the handle. Use Oscillator (under the Graph Editor=>Expression tab) on the Goal Null with the Damping value set to something like 80% and cycle time to 1/20th of a second with the start frame set to when the axe impacts the stump / wood.

Sadly, I don't have facilities to try a sample scene at this time. Good luck!

mTp

jeric_synergy
09-09-2016, 03:28 PM
What mTp said, but with the added: the bones don't have to go all the way down the handle, they can start, say, midway, depending on the desired effect.

Looking forward to seeing it-- I'm hoping "super-cartoony" is the vibe.

-
Get it? Vibe?

prometheus
09-09-2016, 06:39 PM
An axe doesn't vibrate when it hits the wood. The wood or tree rather, but the axe remains fix. An arrow would vibrate.

You may be absolutly right, thankīs for correcting the errors of my ways :)
though if it has a rubber handle..it might, not sure they are out in the store yet though.
for the tree to receive the axe and vibrating, I reckon that has to be a thin small one, wouldnīt be much of vibration from the wall or axe blade or handle at all ..if it is a massive tree.

objuan
09-09-2016, 11:37 PM
I'm hoping "super-cartoony" is the vibe. - Get it? Vibe?

;DWacka wacka whacka! Where do you come up with this stuff? You cut me up. A real side splitter.

You are probably right that an axe wouldn't actually move much, but this one is going to cause I said so dang it. The target might shake a little too, we'll see...
Kinda ahead of myself for once, wont actually get a chance to play with this till I finish my current project. Look at me all preemptivising...

Thanks for the ideas guys!

jeric_synergy
09-10-2016, 12:35 AM
In RL, it may be that the axe HANDLE doesn't vibrate a lot, but in cartoons there's a well-established trope that an axe hitting something very hard transmits a vibrating shock to the wielder-- in my mind, the canonical example for some reason is Yosemite Sam.

bazsa73
09-10-2016, 03:26 AM
You are right guys. In cartoons the axe vibrates.

Ztreem
09-10-2016, 08:10 AM
Actually I think the handle will vibrate in real life even if it will not be visible to the human eye. But if you would film it in super slow motion you would notice a vibration I'm sure.

ianr
09-10-2016, 09:30 AM
Objuan,
For reference I remember an thrown Axe 'ladder'
scene that Kirk Douglas ran up in the 1958 film 'The Vikings'
shot in colour. He was fit it was real, a belter of a scene!
You could if you wish, throw this scene into your editor of choice
to scrub. BTW the shot is by Jack Cardiff who was a DOP god.

JoePoe
09-10-2016, 10:18 AM
It vibrates. Most of the time the "stick" can appear pretty rock solid. Slow motion, of course is a different story.

But a less than perfect throw........ see here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whid_hg97rY) at :46 (the second axe thrown).

MonroePoteet
09-10-2016, 11:54 AM
RE: "real life", sometimes CGI exaggeration is fun anyway for style and humor. Of course, you can add the cartoony "springboard" sound as well as the "fakey" oscillation! :)

mTp

jeric_synergy
09-10-2016, 12:37 PM
And the classic "character inherits vibration and jitters away on ground w/o moving feet".

In my mind it's all Yosemite Sam. Maybe some Elmer Fudd.

objuan
09-10-2016, 01:24 PM
Kirk Douglas ran up in the 1958 film 'The Vikings'

IanR I remember that scene. Ever read The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson? One of the greatest books ever, no doubt.

objuan
09-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and enthusiasm guys! Pretty sure my final will disappoint when I get to it.

Any one know where to find a good springboard doorstop sound effect?

pinkmouse
09-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Just twang a ruler balanced on the edge of your desk. :D

MonroePoteet
09-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and enthusiasm guys! Pretty sure my final will disappoint when I get to it.

Any one know where to find a good springboard doorstop sound effect?

You could do a Google search on "springboard sound effect" - there seem to be a number of them in YouTube and other sources:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=springboard+sound+effect&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1

mTp

Axis3d
09-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Or one of my favorites: the Jolt! motion modifier plugin. You can set a frame for an Event to go off (in this case, the end keyframe of the axe hitting something). I've set it to only affect one of the rotation parameters (depends how your axe is modeled).

https://youtu.be/7HqXauN1clg

jeric_synergy
09-10-2016, 07:22 PM
I know exactly the kind of doorstop you're talking about... :thumbsup:

daforum
09-11-2016, 01:45 AM
Or one of my favorites: the Jolt! motion modifier plugin. You can set a frame for an Event to go off (in this case, the end keyframe of the axe hitting something). I've set it to only affect one of the rotation parameters (depends how your axe is modeled).

I like the animation! :)
Did you weightmap the handle so only that part vibrates?

jeric_synergy
09-11-2016, 08:53 AM

NICE! That was a Worley thing, n'est ce pas?

prometheus
09-11-2016, 07:28 PM
FI flabby may also work for this, just use a weightmap where it should vibrate, set a high velocity and not to much amplitude, frequence not needed, set an envelope in velocity channel to have it stop vibrating in the end.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/fis-flabby/

bazsa73
09-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Objuan,
For reference I remember an thrown Axe 'ladder'
scene that Kirk Douglas ran up in the 1958 film 'The Vikings'
shot in colour. He was fit it was real, a belter of a scene!
You could if you wish, throw this scene into your editor of choice
to scrub. BTW the shot is by Jack Cardiff who was a DOP god.

I remember that too! Epic battle.