PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush Core

samurai_x
09-09-2016, 12:47 AM
No news after the initial announcement.
Stripped down, streamlined version bundled with a wacom?
Intuos 3D ($199.95 USD)
Definitely buying at that price even if my two wacoms still work.
https://www.facebook.com/Wacom/videos/10153718263246691/

http://www.cgchannel.com/2016/09/pixologic-unveils-zbrushcore/

erikals
09-09-2016, 02:50 AM
might get it if it has FiberMesh.

still, looks good.

Julez4001
09-09-2016, 05:09 AM
Zbrush has been a great addition (mostly replacement for character creation) to LW Modeler for me.

I use 3D coat for UV layouts and very specific retopo.
I do think LW Modeler at this point should have a great UV editor/creation tool versus adding sculpt tools.
Zbrush does everything I need and more. I think the next version should have new UV tools and handle very heavy meshes faster.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14263966_10209330865805311_6811289023575673025_n.j pg?oh=6b031df0a35c89f8bf4c32b7b9f1074e&oe=5877CC7Fhttps://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14199339_10209305812658998_5286247098722824112_n.j pg?oh=efe8fb448ac8bf7a5d8dc8d937761545&oe=583FF7EC

hrgiger
09-09-2016, 05:35 AM
How much faster do you need Zbrush to handle dense meshes? I've worked with 50+ million poly meshes and its still fluid.

Julez4001
09-09-2016, 07:30 AM
No I am talking about Lightwave handling dense meshes in Modeler.

prometheus
09-09-2016, 07:45 AM

he..that one sure needs improvement, just working with drag texture falloffs and trying to deform rock segments, well..you could try 50-80000 polygons, above that it isn´t usable in terms of respons speed, and you may definitely want a bit higher for getting more detail in there, I have dropped using drag texture because some other issues as well..lack of normal deformations being one of them, so I rather just go at it with blender sculpting.
Sad though since I could really use the lightwave procedurals ..they are so many and quite good ones too, so I would have to render out images instead from that and use with blender sculpting..but it makes them static and non tweakable.

hrgiger
09-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Ah yes. No argument there.

wyattharris
09-09-2016, 02:26 PM
The ZB Core announcement sounds very cool. Still no details of course but I have a feeling many of my friends will jump on this offer.

I was lucky enough to get in on ZB while it was still $499.

samurai_x
09-13-2016, 05:56 AM
Mudbox is 10 bucks a month now. So renting 4 years is less than the cost of a zbrush license.
Wonder if its EOL.

hrgiger
09-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Mudbox is 10 bucks a month now. So renting 4 years is less than the cost of a zbrush license.
Wonder if its EOL.

I think you mean wonder if they XSI'd it.

MichaelT
09-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Hardly surprising, given the control over the market Zbrush have. Probably doesn't help that Blender is surging as well, that is one tool they cannot buy/kill.

Exclaim
09-13-2016, 10:19 AM
They say they haven't/will not, but I think they don't know what to do with it. Both 3D Coat and Zbrush do what Mudbox does, cheaper, faster, better. And then of course, there is Blender.

bazsa73
09-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Mudbox's functionality has been fused into the Maya borg, isn't it?

jasonwestmas
09-13-2016, 12:31 PM

not fully

gamedesign1
09-13-2016, 09:32 PM
They say they haven't/will not, but I think they don't know what to do with it. Both 3D Coat and Zbrush do what Mudbox does, cheaper, faster, better. And then of course, there is Blender.

I really love Blender's sculpting tools, its just a shame that it doesn't come with retopo tools. I am thinking of buying Retopoflow though which looks good. Anyone here used it?

dballesg
09-14-2016, 01:09 AM
its just a shame that it doesn't come with retopo tools.

RetopoFlow has a free repository in GitHub:

Retopoflow GitHub (https://github.com/CGCookie/retopoflow)

Cheers
David

gamedesign1
09-14-2016, 07:21 AM
RetopoFlow has a free repository in GitHub:

Retopoflow GitHub (https://github.com/CGCookie/retopoflow)

Cheers
David

gamedesign1
09-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Does anyone know who made it?

gamedesign1
09-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Don't worry found 'em

calilifestyle
09-14-2016, 01:14 PM

Question about Mudbox. Is it getting updated? I'm was just wondering it I don't see anything different about it. I was testing it out but couldn't figure out few things. Does it have UV mapping and if so is easy to set up. haha i know sorry.

bobakabob
09-15-2016, 01:28 AM
Mudbox is a nifty app, useful when you need to uv assets in a hurry. You can apply auto uvs if necessary which are similar to guv tiles in Zbrush and export in FBX. Unlike Zbrush it has photoshop style layers and can paint directly onto models without having to go through the ZB procedure of ramping up resolution for poly painting then back again.
I usually texture in ZB which is especially great for organic models but lately enjoyed using MB for its simplicity and speed painting and projection mapping onto hard surface models. I like the logic of the ZB interface, but the MB equivalent is simplicity itself.

Schwyhart
09-15-2016, 08:12 PM
The ZB Core announcement sounds very cool. Still no details of course but I have a feeling many of my friends will jump on this offer.

I was lucky enough to get in on ZB while it was still $499.

I bought it when it was $399...Sold it for $700.

vonpietro
09-15-2016, 09:25 PM
a friend mentioned that zbrush has amazing decimate abilites - that are much smarter than qem loss in lw.

hrgiger
09-16-2016, 02:38 AM
a friend mentioned that zbrush has amazing decimate abilites - that are much smarter than qem loss in lw.

It does. And it will preserve your UV's if you enable that option.

50one
09-16-2016, 02:43 AM
I refuse to buy, watch or be within 100 yards from anything that hose "Core" in its name.

It does. And it will preserve your UV's if you enable that option.

I have to agree, even me with my constant rfusal to learn Zbrush I preety much figured out how to use this and redused some of my 3D scans(couple of million polys) to 75k for instance, super fast.

Julez4001
09-20-2016, 03:21 PM
http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2016/9/2/new-intuos-3d-tablet-bundles-zbrush-core

"In order to ensure an all-inclusive 3D solution, Wacom brought together industry leaders Pixologic®, Shapeways® and Sketchfab® to integrate hardware, software and 3D printing and publishing services," states Tom Kopinski, Senior Manager of Creative Market Strategy at Wacom. The Intuos 3D’s natural and intuitive pen works seamlessly with Pixologic’s powerful ZBrushCore® software, built from the same ZBrush® foundation that top professional film and game studios have been using for their 3D creations for years. The battery-free, cordless and pressure-sensitive Intuos pen combines with ZBrushCore to emulate the same feel and feedback one gets when working with traditional brushes, markers or ceramic tools.

samurai_x
09-22-2016, 08:53 PM
https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01LEINLAM/takelog04-22/ref=nosim/

http://cgtracking.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160908_zbrushcore_1.jpg

c.1
09-22-2016, 10:32 PM
If Pixologic sticks to it's ZBrush upgrade protocol it would be foolish to not latch onto Zbrush Core, despite the somewhat tainted name.

dickbill
09-23-2016, 08:40 AM
I like the logic of the ZB interface
It's not the case for most people. I would really, really, really enjoy a totally reworked ZB interface that makes some sense.

ZB Fibermesh is great, but LW FiberFX too, although I had great difficulty to comb that many hairs in LW. I exported the ZB fibermesh guides as LW curve but then I actually froze LW on memory issues when I tried to use these curves as guides.134546
That is the object I try to move to LW. I used Goz for the character, it exported and populated the LW surface editor's Node perfectly. I generated a displacement map in ZB that I plugged in the Bump map of LW. That worked well except as I said FiberFx didn't like that many hairs.

hrgiger
09-23-2016, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't say most people dislike the zbrush interface. People who use it regularly don't want to see it change drastically. There are always workflow improvements that could be made but for the overall design, I certainly would not like to see it completely reworked. Personally I love it. Its completely customizable and it allows me to work the way I want to.

As far as selling zbrush licenses from one user to another, it is no longer possible as of August 2015. Now licenses are only transferable in the case of corporate acquisition.

gamedesign1
09-23-2016, 10:44 AM
......Its completely customizable and it allows me to work the way I want to.

Do you mean the interface is totally customisable?

hrgiger
09-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Do you mean the interface is totally customisable?

Yes.

bobakabob
09-23-2016, 04:00 PM
The ZB interface makes perfect sense in time and like any app it helps to spend some time with the tutorials. Even just diving in there you can have fun, though take care to press that "Edit" button if you want to work in 3D.

A lot of people make sweeping statements suggesting it's a pain to learn, but ZB is so innovative and deep, it requires a UI that complements this. Once you figure out the right workflow to suit your needs you can customise easily.

I wouldn't be without ZB for modelling and texturing, and it perfectly complements LW (and other 3D apps in general such as Maya).

samurai_x
09-30-2016, 09:31 PM
http://livestream.com/pixologic/events/6387612

I'm sold. Most of the stuff they showed are the stuff I use in zbrush proper.

samurai_x
09-30-2016, 09:39 PM
Damn 3d manipulator xyz in zbrushcore. Goodbye stupid translate tools in zb4

https://s18.postimg.org/rjwswbhbd/gryo.jpg

hrgiger
09-30-2016, 10:29 PM
New version of Zbrush will be 4R8. Now with the gizmo, new brush options, vector displacement brushes, and real time booleans.

samurai_x
09-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Yeah no zb5. The big thing shown was the gizmo and the booleans. zb booleans will replace meshfusion for me.

samurai_x
10-01-2016, 07:16 AM
Comparison chart.

http://zbrushcore.com/features

For 195usd with wacom its a nice bundle.

bobakabob
10-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Looks like an advanced demo... A good intro to ZB but it doesn't appear to compare to the real thing. Not bad for all the sculpting fundamentals such as dyna mesh and insert mesh and the resolution limit doesn't seem too restrictive. However, no uv tools, no fibermesh, limited masking, basic poly painting (whatever that means), no texture map support (does that mean no colour normal and / or displacement maps or that you just can't import maps with objects?).
FBX is a huge timesaver as it automatically links assets to maps but that's missing too. Couldn't find info on Zremesher but there's certainly no decimation.

The real time booleans in the next version of ZB sound really interesting, a great step forward. Dynamesh booleans are good but negative booleans still presently involve quite a lot of clicking from panel to panel and don't feel so intuitive.

jasonwestmas
10-01-2016, 06:46 PM
New version of Zbrush will be 4R8. Now with the gizmo, new brush options, vector displacement brushes, and real time booleans.

I think the lack of a typical gizmo made kept me in other modelers for some stuff. Glad that made it in.

gamedesign1
10-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Looks like an advanced demo... A good intro to ZB but it doesn't appear to compare to the real thing. Not bad for all the sculpting fundamentals such as dyna mesh and insert mesh and the resolution limit doesn't seem too restrictive. However, no uv tools, no fibermesh, limited masking, basic poly painting (whatever that means), no texture map support (does that mean no colour normal and / or displacement maps or that you just can't import maps with objects?).
FBX is a huge timesaver as it automatically links assets to maps but that's missing too. Couldn't find info on Zremesher but there's certainly no decimation.

The real time booleans in the next version of ZB sound really interesting, a great step forward. Dynamesh booleans are good but negative booleans still presently involve quite a lot of clicking from panel to panel and don't feel so intuitive.

With no uv tools or auto retopology I'm not sure if it's worth buying. Blender and retopoloflow is a good combo if you are worrying about auto retopology and it's free + a little bit.

samurai_x
10-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Uv tools in zb? Eek! I use 3dcoat which is waaaay better. Same for retopo tools and painting. The way 3dcoat intergrates via live link with photoshop is also undervalued.
Zbrush is the best at one thing, sculpting. Zbrushcore will be good enough since it exports to obj, vrml(with textures I assume).

If these are printed using vrml format then zbcore must support textures even base colors. Good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf6R3ByLAiY

samurai_x
10-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Live again
http://livestream.com/pixologic/events/6387612

jasonwestmas
10-02-2016, 02:31 PM
I love these summits! I always learn something, great people.

samurai_x
10-02-2016, 08:54 PM
The jewelry maker from wisconsin was hilarious. I think his name was Tomas. Can't imagine living in a far off place like that for 3 years, with your mom even.
His designs were awesome though.

Squaresoft presentation was jawdropping.

Did they record the presentations?

jasonwestmas
10-02-2016, 10:41 PM
The jewelry maker from wisconsin was hilarious. I think his name was Tomas. Can't imagine living in a far off place like that for 3 years, with your mom even.
His designs were awesome though.

Squaresoft presentation was jawdropping.

Did they record the presentations?

Yup, they are all recorded. I used to live in Wisconsin. The North Western part is quite barren though beautiful. I prefer the East coast near Lake Michigan.

OlaHaldor
10-03-2016, 12:13 AM
I looked at the feature list (and restrictions). Considered it for about two seconds, then went with ZBrush 4R7 instead. 20% off was a good deal too. More money from the get go, but can also yield far less frustration because of limitations. Even though I will use it at home for my own projects on a hobby basis, I'm quite confident the lack of things like FBX I/O, ZRemesher etc. would be infuriating and frustrating.

A Pixologic support rep also said that if Zbrush 5 comes out within a year after purchase of 4R7, I will get it for free. Epic win!

samurai_x
10-03-2016, 04:17 AM
Yup, they are all recorded. I used to live in Wisconsin. The North Western part is quite barren though beautiful. I prefer the East coast near Lake Michigan.

No offense. But I could never survive living in places where theres not much to do. Australia drove me crazy when places closed early as 7pm. Living in places like ohio, minnesota and areas near those areas are for easy going people.

jasonwestmas
10-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Im not into crowds. I have enough intensity going in my mind to keep me occupied.. Thats why i do 3d animation things. :)

hrgiger
10-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Im not into crowds. I have enough intensity going in my mind to keep me occupied.. Thats why i do 3d animation things. :)

+1.

People... most of the time I'm ok without.

samurai_x
10-03-2016, 09:41 PM

Its not about that.
Its about basic necessities, quality and fast service, convenience, infrastructure, 24 hour everything. Once you're used to them, it gets annoying to experience the opposite. Slow, laid back, not my thing.

warmiak
10-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Then you would hate Europe where everything closes early , especially on weekends - I have seen small towns in Nebraska with better service hours than places like Berlin.

jeric_synergy
10-09-2016, 10:28 AM
IOW, people having a life instead of sacrificing all to the almighty dollar, yen, or euro.

warmiak
10-09-2016, 10:42 AM
For some people sacrificing whatever they sacrifice to dollar or euro is "having a life" and you know what , who are you to argue otherwise ?

jeric_synergy
10-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Working in a convenience store so some pasty wad can get a burrito at any hour of the night is not having a life.

JohnMarchant
10-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Then you would hate Europe where everything closes early , especially on weekends - I have seen small towns in Nebraska with better service hours than places like Berlin.

Depends on where in Europe you are talking about. UK has 24 hour shopping in big stores and many others are open very late in the evening. Try Spain, they close at 1/2 PM for siesta and are meant to open again at 5 till 8/9 PM if you are lucky, that is a PITA.

dballesg
10-10-2016, 04:04 AM
Try Spain, they close at 1/2 PM for siesta and are meant to open again at 5 till 8/9 PM if you are lucky, that is a PITA.

John please stop saying things that are not true. That only happens on small shops in small towns. In a city like Murcia you have supermarkets like El Corte Inglés that opens up to 22:00 p.m. and dont close at mid day.

And I bet the excellent weather, food and livestile we provide in this country is not such a PITA.

Hasta luego!

JohnMarchant
10-10-2016, 04:15 AM
Well i agree but its not like El Corte Ingles or Al Campo is in every town. My comparison compared to other countries like the UK is spot on, im not saying its bad, it just takes getting used to.

bazsa73
10-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Shopping is disgusting.