PDA

View Full Version : where have all my poly's gone?

jin'a
12-13-2003, 06:11 AM
What's happening? I'm part way through making a high poly character and I opened my object up today and there are no poly's just as mass of points? Is there anyway to rectify the situation? Or do i have to start all over again?

here is a screen capture of what modeller looks like...

Axis3d
12-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Are you sure you didn't change any display settings in Modeler? For instance, hit 'd' to open Display Properties - under the Layout Tab, is Show Surfaces unchecked? If so, you will not see any polys.

Under the Polygon Statistics, does it show that there are still polygons in the object?

Ezequiel
12-13-2003, 11:00 AM
I may not be a modeling wizzard but
I'm afraid that there is no solution other than making it all anew

But it's strange.
As far as I can see your model looks very interesting. You seem to have a clear idea of how things work in Modeler.
Maybe you touched your "k" key with all the layers active (with no intention at all) and killed all the polys in your model, and then closed your object.:(
I'm sorry to be the bringer of the bad news,
But I'll give you some advice to be a little more helpfull.
When working in a program like LW Modeler, it is always recommended first to take your undo levels to 128 and then to save your objects like in a "stages" way, i.e.: when you finish your head save as head finished.lwo, then torso, finished.lwo, then armsfinished.lwo and so on. It would be also a good idea to save a copy of the object and always before closing it take a look at it to check for "strange" things like this one.
I hope this help in future projects,

Ezequiel

jin'a
12-13-2003, 02:33 PM
thanks for the help...I'm pretty sure that I didn't press k, as there are still some polygons in the model. Well I guess I'll just start over...never mind!

mkiii
12-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Before you give up all hope, take a look in your hub temp folder - assuming you have been using the hub, and have either sent the object to layout, or have autosave turned on, then there will be a copy or two of the object in there.

EG my folder is here:-
C:\Documents and Settings\md\Local Settings\Temp\lwhub

Ezequiel
12-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Heeyyy!!!! Coooolllll!!! Didn't know that,
Thanx Mkiii ;)

Ezequiel
12-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Heeyyy!!!! Coooolllll!!! Didn't know that,
Thanx Mkiii ;)

Ezequiel

WizCraker
12-13-2003, 08:03 PM
And while you are at it you might as well upgrade to 7.5c as that is a Free download.

meshmaster
12-15-2003, 07:55 AM
to always save backup copies with different names about every half hour or more...

jin'a
12-15-2003, 01:55 PM
I love you mkiii!

Thankyou, thankyou....etc

wow, never knew the hub kep a memory of the objects...very useful

Wade
12-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Do saveyour work every 30 min. or so change the name by adding the date and time - Model of dude 12 15 03 304pm.. - Model of dude 12 15 342pm.... Very helpful if you need to revert to an earlier setup.

wgreenlee1
12-15-2003, 02:07 PM
7.0?wtf?