PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a new Plugin

gamedesign1
09-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Hi All

I had an idea for a new plugin, but I wanted to check if one exists like it already.
There are a lot of incremental saving tools that allow you to save stages of your progress.
But one thing that I find annoying about that is when that object is already part of a scene.
I save incrementally and it adds "...v001" etc on the end. So when you open that scene the new model is not associated with it. You then have to replace object to update it.

I would like a plugin that saves my current object and then also saves a backup version with a date stamp or increment on it, eg MyObject_[datestamp].lwo. But you still stay with the your current object in modeler. So then I can do the special backup save when I get to a point in my modeling where I think I might like to be able to go back to that stage.

Does anything already exists that does this and if not would anyone else find that useful. I know I would.

gamedesign1
09-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Think I have found something that already does it. Going to try it now.
http://artstorm.net/plugins/saveincbak/

EDIT: Yep it was just what I wanted :)

jboudreau
09-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Think I have found something that already does it. Going to try it now.
http://artstorm.net/plugins/saveincbak/

EDIT: Yep it was just what I wanted :)

Hi thanks for the link to the plugin. There's also other ways you could do something similar.

You could use the built in auto save object options in the general options. Set it to every 1, 5 minutes etc then Set your content directory where you want this to be saved. This will create a backup folder, where you will see a folder named the same as your object (for example if you saved your object as ball.lwo (It will be called ball_modeler.

In that folder you will have another folder named with the date and time (for example if you saved your object at say 11:00am on September 06, 2016 (the folder would be called 20160906_1100)

and in that folder will be your lightwave object with the same original name.

Another thing you could do is set up a backup directory (or Archive Directory) where your objects are going to be saved. Use the save incremental in Modeler. This will save all your versions V001, v002 etc. When you are done with your object then just save the latest version as your master copy and later move all the V001 V002... versions in the backup folder.

These were some of the ways I worked. (I'll be using the plugin from now on which makes it a lot faster workflow) The only problem though is this plugin is just for modeler so if you wanted to do the same thing in layout you can't so you could use some of my methods for layout.

Thanks for sharing
Jason

gamedesign1
09-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Hi thanks for the link to the plugin. There's also other ways you could do something similar.

You could use the built in auto save object options in the general options. Set it to every 1, 5 minutes etc then Set your content directory where you want this to be saved. This will create a backup folder, where you will see a folder named the same as your object (for example if you saved your object as ball.lwo (It will be called ball_modeler.

In that folder you will have another folder named with the date and time (for example if you saved your object at say 11:00am on September 06, 2016 (the folder would be called 20160906_1100)

and in that folder will be your lightwave object with the same original name.

Another thing you could do is set up a backup directory (or Archive Directory) where your objects are going to be saved. Use the save incremental in Modeler. This will save all your versions V001, v002 etc. When you are done with your object then just save the latest version as your master copy and later move all the V001 V002... versions in the backup folder.

These were some of the ways I worked. (I'll be using the plugin from now on which makes it a lot faster workflow) The only problem though is this plugin is just for modeler so if you wanted to do the same thing in layout you can't so you could use some of my methods for layout.

Thanks for sharing
Jason

No problem at all :)
Thanks for your suggestions. I don't often need it for Layout, but there are times that I do.
Juts found this link, will try it later https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/save-and-backup/

rustythe1
09-06-2016, 09:23 AM
actually if you have layout open at the same time it will update the one in the scene for the new one as long as you re save the scene after saving the object in modeller (as long as your hub is updating correctly)

gamedesign1
09-06-2016, 10:12 AM
actually if you have layout open at the same time it will update the one in the scene for the new one as long as you re save the scene after saving the object in modeller (as long as your hub is updating correctly)

Yeah thats not what I wanted though. I don't want the model in my scene to be the one called myObject_v0000023.lwo. Do you know what I mean?

samurai_x
09-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Can't believe I missed this from Johans site. I always used his conform to uv plugin for fixing characters before.

This saving method is absolutely superior.