PDA

View Full Version : Surfaces and Presets not displaying Properly

Exzo
09-04-2016, 01:59 PM

Heyguys. I am hoping that someone can help me out here. I am having a weird issue with my preset surfaces and how they are being rendered. They are being displayed much darker than they should be or just out right not displaying properly at all. Now the last time I used Lightwave was about 2 months ago before classes got out at my college and everything worked fine then. But hoping on the Lightwave to use it the other day I was finding that many of my surfaces werent looking well the way they should. Thinking It was my pc I tried another computer I had and the same issue occured. Both Pcs are running windows 10 and I am using Lightwave version 11.6.3. For an added bonus I tried using my buddies oud Win7 pc to the same issue. I was able to find some images of what the surfaces and presets are supposed to look like as well as the result I keep getting when I try to load them. Occasionally while loading the surface it will display properly for a sec before becoming the weird black mess that it does.

If you need any more information to help you help me please let me know. I can post specs of the 3 computers I used. Most of the surfaces were acquired from 3dxzy.pro before the website went down and others were ones that I made and are having issues. I cant seem to find any correlation between them. All the images uploaded are of the 3dxyz presets. I can upload more if needed. about 40% of the presets I have no longer display properly on the computers. And I cant really think of anything that I have changed on these machines other than regular windows updates and video card updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pinkmouse
09-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Colour Space settings?

Exzo
09-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Colour Space settings?

I just tried messing around with settings and sadly with no change or affect as to what is happening to the surfaces. I even tried a fresh install of 11.6.3 just to see if that would but sure enough the same issues persist. certain surfaces and presets just display wrong. 134313134314

Like the two images of the wood preset. The image on the left is whats happening to me now. it looks like a black metal texture. while the image on the right is how its supposed to display. And how it always did display until just recently. Like i said i haven't used lightwave in about 2 months and I haven't changed anything since then. Thats why I am confused as to why this is happening on my machine and the two other ive tried.

gerry_g
09-04-2016, 05:42 PM
In the node editor is the image mapped to the correct uv map -'Preset UV Map'- cos if it isn't it might end up looking black ?, colour space being non linear would only make it over saturated

MonroePoteet
09-04-2016, 06:56 PM
What kind of lights / illumination / global illumnation are you using?

mTp

Exzo
09-04-2016, 09:31 PM
In the node editor is the image mapped to the correct uv map -'Preset UV Map'- cos if it isn't it might end up looking black ?, colour space being non linear would only make it over saturated

The node setup is set the original way the creator of it is setup. When playing with the db&w tools schlick node and setting the strength to zero it will make the surface appear properly. But only on that frame. The moment the camera moves or you change frames it goes back to displaying the weird metal black texture. The beauty render scene has one light and its a distant like with 0% light intensity and 5% ambient and set to affect diffuse, OpenGL and Specular. I originally saw this surface issue in a new scene I was working but didn't play with any lights yet. That's why I started using the beauty render scene as a baseline because I never had any issues with it before when testing out surfaces.

Image one is of just opening the surface with the nodes set up the way the author made it. Image 2 is of me turning the strength down to zero to zero the surface before any changes made. and the last one is of the light properties.

JoePoe
09-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Absolutely a UV thing (gerry_g)!

And the thing is.....there ain't one. There's no UV associated with the polys making up the object with the logo in it. (The two UVs listed are for other polys)
Change the map type to spherical for the color and bump image nodes and all will work fine. Or make a UV.

Edit: The "Preset UV Map" UV that gerry_g mentioned (afaik) is for a different demo scene using LWO Preset_Ball_10cm_v8 .... etc.

gerry_g
09-05-2016, 03:12 AM
I had v4 of the demo scene loaded, kind of academic really as if you intend to use the texture on anything you would have to select the name of the map on your actual object to make it work anyway, is it not the case that the node you are using requires some sort of second input or alpha to knock out the metallic aspect to give a multiple material like lookr, I see nothing in that wood texture file that warrants the use of that node or produce a result in the way it is intended to be used

Exzo
09-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Absolutely a UV thing (gerry_g)!

And the thing is.....there ain't one. There's no UV associated with the polys making up the object with the logo in it. (The two UVs listed are for other polys)
Change the map type to spherical for the color and bump image nodes and all will work fine. Or make a UV.

Edit: The "Preset UV Map" UV that gerry_g mentioned (afaik) is for a different demo scene using LWO Preset_Ball_10cm_v8 .... etc.

Wow thank you so much. That fixed the issue with my wood surface presets. The thing was when I downloaded those thats how they were always setup. So thats how I used them and they always worked before. But some of my other textures are still appearing black. Like olive oil and others of the sort like certain colors of glass and milk. My biggest concern is why they worked before and why are they not working now.

Like here is what the olive oil is supposed to look like. And the result I am getting why loading the preset. Its like this with a few other presets too just very dark. And they appear this way on a few other computers. And they worked and loaded fine a few months ago. Similar to wood surface you guys just helped me fix.

JoePoe
09-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Wow thank you so much. That fixed the issue with my wood surface presets. The thing was when I downloaded those thats how they were always setup. So thats how I used them and they always worked before. But some of my other textures are still appearing black. Like olive oil and others of the sort like certain colors of glass and milk. My biggest concern is why they worked before and why are they not working now.

Like here is what the olive oil is supposed to look like. And the result I am getting why loading the preset. Its like this with a few other presets too just very dark. And they appear this way on a few other computers. And they worked and loaded fine a few months ago. Similar to wood surface you guys just helped me fix.

Scale. :)

The scene with the nice color is using a sample object more like the size of what the arrow is pointing to.
Your scene is using the object on the right. Scale counts for many settings including Absorption in Dielectric.
On the big ball you're using try dialing it way down. Like 3 or 4..... or even under 1.
The smaller object will work with the preset default of 80.

(with the more see-through stuff don't forget about the "Inside" surface. I gave it the same Olive Oil surf instead of the solid grey with the "Lightwave" on it.)

..... and Absorption at 1, and the default inside.

jeric_synergy
09-06-2016, 06:35 PM
JoePoe, that's some good help. Thanks for being such an asset to the community!

JoePoe
09-07-2016, 11:15 AM
JoePoe, that's some good help. Thanks for being such an asset to the community!

Thanks Jeric. Appreciate it. Wish I could hang out here more often these days.

The irony though is, I just came back to say.... The Milk Texture. I have no frickin' clue! :D. Guess I need to brush up on Sigma node.

JoePoe
09-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Re: Milk

Sigma1 works great!
The big (only??) difference between Sig1 and Sig2 is Translucency vs Transparency. Still, best I could do with 2 is more of a frosted white look.
But Sigma1 is spot on to the preview.

Exzo
09-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Scale. :)

The scene with the nice color is using a sample object more like the size of what the arrow is pointing to.
Your scene is using the object on the right. Scale counts for many settings including Absorption in Dielectric.
On the big ball you're using try dialing it way down. Like 3 or 4..... or even under 1.
The smaller object will work with the preset default of 80.

(with the more see-through stuff don't forget about the "Inside" surface. I gave it the same Olive Oil surf instead of the solid grey with the "Lightwave" on it.)

..... and Absorption at 1, and the default inside.

Thank you guys so much for the help. this helped fix my issues I was having. I only wish i knew why they worked before and then changed for some reason. But again thank you guys.