PDA

View Full Version : Pixar demonstrates Hydra, an open source direct 3D visualization

robertoortiz
09-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Pixar demonstrates Hydra, an open source direct 3D visualization. Hydra is the high-scalability, multi-pass, OpenSubdiv-based rendering architecture that ships as part of the USD distribution. *Its first and primary “back end” is a modern deferred-draw OpenGL implementation with support for pre-packaged and programmable glsl shaders, but it is intended to support multiple back-ends, just as it already supports multiple front-end clients simultaneously, and Pixar has already prototyped an Optix-based backend for path-tracing. http://www.iamag.co/features/real-time-graphics-in-pixar-film-production/

prometheus
09-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Wasn´t hydra the name of the core engine, or the current newly implemented lightwave engine?

Surrealist.
09-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Well that is what they get for keeping it internal and not trademarking it. ;)

MichaelT
09-01-2016, 05:03 PM
That is truly a gift... wow

vonpietro
09-01-2016, 05:08 PM
hail hydra - sorry couldn't resist =)

MichaelT
09-01-2016, 05:11 PM
And under Apache license too... I said... hrmmm... can't shout over the busy feet from Autodesk rushing past me.

Rayek
09-04-2016, 02:12 PM
And under Apache license too... I said... hrmmm... can't shout over the busy feet from Autodesk rushing past me.

Loading that 52 million poly scene within two seconds - impressive. I want that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=311&v=x9ikzGQW0ys

My forecast: integrated into Blender within 18 months (conservative estimate).

MichaelT
09-04-2016, 02:27 PM
I think a good number of 3d developers will take this apart, and integrate anything useful. Question here is.. will LWG? Autodesk .. absolutely. They take everything they can.. and then some. Bugs included ;) Blender... yes.. but they aren't that quick usually. C4D.. absolutely... and probably quickly too. But you won't see it until next year. The Foundry... hmmm.. tough one... possibly, but I haven't really seen that they take from others that much.

zapper1998
09-04-2016, 03:41 PM
omg wow

fablefox
09-05-2016, 02:28 AM
I think a good number of 3d developers will take this apart, and integrate anything useful. Question here is.. will LWG? Autodesk .. absolutely. They take everything they can.. and then some. Bugs included ;) Blender... yes.. but they aren't that quick usually. C4D.. absolutely... and probably quickly too. But you won't see it until next year. The Foundry... hmmm.. tough one... possibly, but I haven't really seen that they take from others that much.

Blender is quite quick on popular stuff. This 2.8 dev while focusing on other stuff, might be a good time to incorporate this.

jwiede
09-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Blender is quite quick on popular stuff. This 2.8 dev while focusing on other stuff, might be a good time to incorporate this.

Perhaps, I suspect it all depends on how much further change/extension to USD definition/spec is expected before reaching "1.0".

fablefox
09-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Perhaps, I suspect it all depends on how much further change/extension to USD definition/spec is expected before reaching "1.0".

Could be.

But looking at PIXAR Renderman for Blender, I know anything PIXAR attracts a lot of people. Official or un-official, there could be easily a branch when the time is right.

safetyman
09-06-2016, 05:01 AM
Don't forget, the Blender devs have already implemented OpenSubDiv.