PDA

View Full Version : Blackmagic Design ATEM

fgolman
09-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Does anyone know if the Blackmagic Design ATEM switchers have NDI capability?

Looking to do something very simple that even a TriCaster Mini would be overkill.

Thanks!

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications

SBowie
09-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Not directly, but unless you need to preserve confidentiality, describing your requirements might evoke some creative solutions from the brainy crowd here. :)

fgolman
09-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Use the Telestrator application for markup of a broadcast product I'm involved with.

The idea of turn-key, with single RU impact is appealing. The price point is the major thing, though, along with likely extreme simplicity. Only really needs one SDI input and composited (with Telestrator) output.

Anyone have any thoughts ... anyone?

Thanks!

Fritz

AElli
09-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Vmix HD $60 and a capture dongle. Plugged into a recent spec laptop / PC / Mac

A.

Edit, scrub the dongle if you running NDI you won't need it..

fgolman
09-01-2016, 12:51 PM
We want to eliminate any more PCs in the mix. This would be for a rack mount, 24x7 application that should not be dependent upon a PC (other than for configuration and the telestrator itself).

Fritz

PIZAZZ
09-01-2016, 02:42 PM
We want to eliminate any more PCs in the mix. This would be for a rack mount, 24x7 application that should not be dependent upon a PC (other than for configuration and the telestrator itself).

Fritz

Good luck to find a Telestrator that isn't PC based.

fgolman
09-01-2016, 04:24 PM
No, not the telestrator (which I noted would be a PC or tablet). Just don't want to run a PC to have to be the interface with SDI, network, etc.

Depending upon pricing, the new IP output gear may do the trick.

I'm also going to see if the developers of the product can incorporate NDI natively ... which of course would be the best solution. But that may be more than is possible in a short time.

Fritz

kanep
09-01-2016, 09:35 PM
The issue you are going to find with any IP based format is that a PC is going to be part of the solution. You need a PC to help with managing the network stack among other things, if you want to avoid the PC, then you are going to have to stick with SDI point to point connections which don't require any networking.

fgolman
09-02-2016, 07:37 AM
I think everyone is misunderstanding. I was looking for a simple, appliance-like, rack mount way to handle the video. I realize that there will be a computer somewhere in the mix.

Perhaps the new IP line might do the tick, depending upon price.

However, the best way would be for the developers to incorporate NDI natively in my application. However, I don't know if that's a possibility at this time given the constraints they're under.

Thanks,

Fritz

SBowie
09-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Just to wrap my head around this, the reason our Telestrator (http://www.newtek.com/software/telestrator.html) doesn't completely meet your need is because you need to recombine the telestrator's paint output with the background video - and then output that as ... SDI, HDMI? Am I on the right track Fritz?

AElli
09-02-2016, 01:10 PM
You mention price point in your opening couple o' post.
If your looking for a hardware solution, not a PC then your gonna have to stump up the bucks.. The atem is a great entry into video mixing but it's feature set is why it's priced low in the market place. I don't think you'll find a solution to your needs if your looking at a TVS budget.

If you go PC with a SDI decklink card you could then NDI your telestrator in and SDI it back out using NDI connect..
Maybe install the decklink card in the PC running telestrator ?
if you don't want to have another PC around.
Also there are PC cases available that allow for rack mounting.

A.

fgolman
09-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Steve, yes, that's it.

There's extra gear no matter what. Want to eliminate it all (save for the actual telestrator PC).

The more I think about this the more I'm going to be pushing developers to work with NDI natively.

Our software would be both sending the program feed output to the telestrator via NDI and then pulling the telestrator graphics back (via NDI) in for compositing with the program feed that we're currently running in our application. It's now output as SDI via a Bluefish 4:4:4 card.

Fritz