PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Green Screen Area Clean - Any Ideas?

Schwyhart
08-30-2016, 11:12 AM
My team and I have just converted our infinity wall (white wall) into a large green screen.
We will be adding tracking markers on it soon, but I wanted to asked if anyone has ideas to keep it clean.
One problem we had with the infinity wall is keeping the floor clean of shoe scuffs.
We could ask people to take off their shoes, but then what's the point of having a full body shot, because we wouldn't want shoe-less people in the shot.
Another suggestion a team-member had was booties, like doctors and nurses wear in hospitals, but again this defeats the point.
I had an idea to use furniture pads on the bottom of their shoes, which might work. We haven't tried it yet.
And yet another idea was to do a layer of polyurethane on the floor, but I think it'd have too much glare.
Which, by the way, the picture below is right after it was painted, so it was wet. After it dried, there are no glares/white areas.

So, any other ideas?

m.d.
08-30-2016, 11:41 AM
Always gonna be an issue keeping it clean....

Best case scenario is a green fabric overlay with foam backing, usually from a greenscreen setup and lay that on the floor. The foam backing keeps it stiff and unwrinkled

Otherwise just use caution, stay off when not in use...keep shoes clean while in use, and occasionally repaint.
Even though you just put all that work in, you have to think of the floor area as a constant spot for maintanence

squarewulf
08-30-2016, 02:45 PM
We repaint our cyc wall maybe once every two months when in heavy use, it's impossible to keep clean and actually its more of a hassle to keep it clean than it is to re-paint it. I know that chroma-paint can be expensive but if you just buy some green paint instead of the special stuff it saves tons of money and effectively gives you the same result.

m.d.
08-30-2016, 06:08 PM
regular paint mixed with a bit of sand to remove gloss, is just as good or better than chromakey paint

Whelkn
08-30-2016, 08:24 PM
as a compostior My whole shot plus sanity has been saved by s speck of dirt on a green screen giving my something to track. Soo Don't keep it toooo clean.

Schwyhart
08-30-2016, 09:19 PM
Yeah, my supervisor bought video paint. It's $300 for a 5 gal bucket. I told him we could have bought similar at Home Depot.

danielkaiser
08-31-2016, 03:09 AM
Take a sample to your local Home Depot or paint store, they have color matching systems that will give you the formula to use anytime.

ianr
09-01-2016, 10:42 AM
just Lurve that +1000% chuckles