PDA

View Full Version : What image formats do you use?

BeeVee
08-29-2016, 07:21 AM
Hey all,

Just wanted to gather feedback on what image formats you use. This is a multiple choice poll so tick all you regularly use. There are a maximum of 18 fields in forum polls so I'm not checking for 24/32 or the varieties of EXR/DPX. If you choose Other, please post saying which of the choices you use (including script output, which I neglected to add).

B

BeeVee
08-29-2016, 07:37 AM
To the user that put OpenEXR, is that from the LightWave output list or from Mike Wolf's OpenEXR?

B

mummyman
08-29-2016, 07:49 AM
added my vote. .EXR from exrTrader

Markc
08-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Png and OpenEXR (DB&W)
Is it too late to add the two options for EXR to the list (LW and DB&W)

Ztreem
08-29-2016, 08:25 AM
png and exr from LW

Tartiflette
08-29-2016, 08:41 AM
PNG, HDR and OpenEXR here, from EXRTrader.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

BeeVee
08-29-2016, 08:41 AM
I edited the poll and put in external Image Filter (the DB&W EXRTrader, etc.). I don't know if anyone can change their votes?

B

netizen
08-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Currently, moving all to lossless png as it allows storing of additional gamma and chromaticity data. Still outputting to TGA, JPEG, and BMP but mostly because of compatibility issues. Really keen to move to something with better support to faithfully store a Higher Dynamic Range. Long term probably BGA or JPEG XR. I would prefer to use a single open lossless format for everything.

jwiede
08-29-2016, 10:04 AM
PNG, OpenEXR (DB&W).

Snosrap
08-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Why BeeVee - are you guy's thinking about dropping some? Also, where are you guys at in the development of the new LW?

Norka
08-29-2016, 10:57 AM
This reminds me, is there a way to sh!tcan the ones I never use from Save As format list? Does one of the cfg files have this somewhere? Yeah, life would be a little easier only having a handful in list...

bazsa73
08-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Hi BeeVee! Can you ask Matt if he can ask Robb... maybe. Perhaps. Never mind.

jeric_synergy
08-29-2016, 11:06 AM
This reminds me, is there a way to sh!tcan the ones I never use from Save As format list? Does one of the cfg files have this somewhere? Yeah, life would be a little easier only having a handful in list...

Excellent question: I use maybe five. A screenful of possibilities is not helpful.

BeeVee
08-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Yes, it's very easy. Go LightWave_2015.3\support\plugins\input-output and move the ones you don't want to a folder outside the structure. It does mean you won't be able to load images in the formats you remove.

B

js33
08-29-2016, 12:58 PM
The LW3DG can get rid of the Alias, DPX, SGI and SUN formats or put them in a legacy list. Those companies obviously no longer exist. Not sure what the DPX is for. Was that an old Fusion format?

erikals
08-29-2016, 02:56 PM
aaand... wait for it... Gif!

(for gif anims etc, not in LW though)

:)

robertoortiz
08-29-2016, 03:35 PM
As a designer I use every day vector formats with my Lightwave content.
If Lw could save true vectors in Formats like like .SVG, and .AI it would help me a lot.
We save a lot of content also on .PDF

For endering work I use PNG and I have used .exr for rendering.

erikals
08-29-2016, 04:05 PM
:i_agree:

jeric_synergy
08-29-2016, 04:39 PM
That doesn't seem possible: how do pixels become vectors?

Ztreem
08-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Celshaded images could be vector graphics. I mean the 3D objects are already vector objects. But a full blown GI render is matbe harder to convert to a vector image?

Support for vector graphics as textures would be nice as well. Imagine a texture that you could zoom into without getting jaggies in the boarders for example a clipmap.

jeric_synergy
08-29-2016, 07:22 PM
Support for vector graphics as textures would be nice as well. Imagine a texture that you could zoom into without getting jaggies in the boarders for example a clipmap.
Pretty sure DB&W has one of those. Check 'em out: get out yer wallet!

BeeVee
08-30-2016, 02:31 AM
Denis Pontonnier made an SVG loader...

B

Ztreem
08-30-2016, 03:33 AM
Denis Pontonnier made an SVG loader...

B

Cool, I had missed that one... seems like its only 32 bit though. :oye:

fishhead
08-30-2016, 05:47 AM
checked OpenEXR and EXRtrader, also the occasional TGA (like the lower footprint at times - am oldschool, you know...)
Still would sometimes like to use IFF (The Amiga one - as it allows for real 2-Bit images and the like...) but everybody thinks these are MayaIFFs nowadays and thus it tends to confuse most younger folks around... :-\

Chris S. (Fez)
08-30-2016, 05:57 AM
Pretty sure DB&W has one of those. Check 'em out: get out yer wallet!

I don't believe so. Adding the ability to use .ai files (which is technically .pdf), like Max, would be amazingly useful.

Norka
08-30-2016, 06:53 AM
As a designer I use every day vector formats with my Lightwave content.
If Lw could save true vectors in Formats like like .SVG, and .AI it would help me a lot.
We save a lot of content also on .PDF

For endering work I use PNG and I have used .exr for rendering.

Dang.. this just now reminded me of Swift3D for LW, which I used to use all the time, to make flash animations and interfaces etc, and it did export AI too, which was nice... wow.. that really takes me back. Just went to erain.com... go check it out... they went boobs-up. :-(

BeeVee
08-30-2016, 06:56 AM
TGAs are uncompressed meaning they leave a larger footprint. PNGs have the ability to specifically code 1-bit images (black/white) and 8-bit images (max 256 colours) - it really is a great format. I just wish people would agree on an animated version so we can have true colour animated PNGs. There are competing "standards"...

B

raymondtrace
08-30-2016, 07:14 AM
That doesn't seem possible: how do pixels become vectors?

I believe Adobe Dimensions had this sorted out a decade ago. It could render out shaded EPS/AI files, where each graded tone of an object's curved surface was a closed path/shape. You can still achieve the same effect today by extruding/lathing a 2D to 3D shape in Illustrator and then "expanding" its appearance.

S0nny
08-30-2016, 07:57 AM
I can't live without any of the FP 32bpc due to the heavy pp or comp, as for the rest I really don't use anything other than png or jpgs for really fast vpr previews. A better layered exr implementation for extra buffers would be great though.

Julez4001
08-30-2016, 11:09 AM
What is the difference between LW OPENEXR and DB&W OPENEXR?

BeeVee
08-30-2016, 12:02 PM
The LightWave OpenEXR saves out EXR files. The EXRTrader saves out EXR files with *loads* of options :)

B

BeeVee
08-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Interested to know why anyone uses the LW_PShop24/32 (psd) saver? I see there are 13 votes for it. AFAIK, it doesn't offer anything over a standard PNG file, and the file size is larger. What's your reason for using it? Or is it simply that you use the layered image output that contains buffers, but didn't get down to the end of the list?

B

fishhead
08-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Interested to know why anyone uses the LW_PShop24/32 (psd) saver? I see there are 13 votes for it. AFAIK, it doesn't offer anything over a standard PNG file, and the file size is larger. What's your reason for using it? Or is it simply that you use the layered image output that contains buffers, but didn't get down to the end of the list?

Well, in my case it was just chosen to quick - in my case I meant the layered output... :-\ Sorry for ruining the result that way...
In regards to TGA - well, footprint compared to EXR´s is rather small, depending on bitdepth of course. And its faster when its compared to PNG...

BeeVee
08-30-2016, 03:01 PM
No worries - Glad it wasn't chosen "on purpose" :) And yes, TGA is smaller than EXR, but considerably more limited - it does load quickly though, which was the original intention for back when people that wanted images rapidly paid for SCSI III hard disks at great expense (I know, I was one of them...).

B

raw-m
08-30-2016, 03:11 PM
Yes, it's very easy. Go LightWave_2015.3\support\plugins\input-output and move the ones you don't want to a folder outside the structure. It does mean you won't be able to load images in the formats you remove.

B
Great tip, thanks! Means I can clean out a good 90% of the ones I select by accident after an f9!

Pngs, exrTrader and LW exr's for me.

Cageman
08-31-2016, 05:23 AM
PNG and OpenEXR (exrTrader).

BeeVee
08-31-2016, 09:06 AM
The LW3DG can get rid of the Alias, DPX, SGI and SUN formats or put them in a legacy list. Those companies obviously no longer exist. Not sure what the DPX is for. Was that an old Fusion format?

DPX is a digital intermediate format introduced in 2015, and shouldn't really be used for output (see p1081 of the manual). SGI has a vote. I'd like to know what the two "other" votes are for :)

B

Kryslin
08-31-2016, 11:08 AM
PNG and JPEG here, though I have used EXR/HDR, TGA, and TIFF - I have some older game editing programs that don't like PNG32.

The ability to set an output Q (currently fixed @ 1.0) on Jpeg would be nice - since I use it mainly for preview images sent to clients...

jeric_synergy
08-31-2016, 08:01 PM
The ability to set an output Q (currently fixed @ 1.0) on Jpeg would be nice - since I use it mainly for preview images sent to clients...
What is 'Q'? Some sort of presentation curve?

Kryslin
08-31-2016, 11:56 PM
Q is the quality of the image, how much loss is acceptable; Q=1 is nearly lossless. Q = 0.85 is usually suitable for presentation via the web.
(GIMP, my main image editing app, calls it Q, anyway. It's called Q in the JPEG definition, too...)

an 800 x 600 jpeg @ q = 1.0 is around 300K; the same at Q = 0.85 is around 90K.

However, for final frames, no loss, it's PNG32, and EXR.

jeric_synergy
09-01-2016, 12:22 AM
Ahhh. I thought it might be the gamma curve.

Isn't there a Q in JPG that is ACTUALLY lossless? Zero image compression, data compression only?

Kryslin
09-01-2016, 09:50 AM
I think that this what the 1.0 setting is supposed to be, but not all jpeg codecs support completely lossless jpeg compression...