PDA

View Full Version : Convex hull projection?

jeric_synergy
08-25-2016, 10:52 PM
In this situation:
I'd like just the OUTLINE of the background object to be sliced into the foreground object, along the Y axis.

There was a recent thread on this, but I was unable to locate it. IIRC this is a type of "convex hull" problem.

How might one approach this?

Tnx.

Ztreem
08-26-2016, 01:46 AM
I would flatten the spiral object i Y axis "v" key. Then try to merge all polys into one with all polys of the spiral selected and shift+Z. Then the drill command in Y axis to slice the plane.

MonroePoteet
08-26-2016, 08:27 AM
Yes, copy the coil into another layer, flatten the coil with "v" and Y=0, then Merge Polygons with default settings to make a single outline poly. I had no luck with plain Drill on the Y axis, but using Extrude to make a columnar object from the outline and then Solid Drill worked fine.

mTp

jeric_synergy
08-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys! #aflw I just had a similar thought to #3 there (before reading, that is), will try soon as I'm back to my machine. :thumbsup:

I wonder if I need to even Merge Polys if I just make a long enough extrusion and only use the simple part as a Solid Drill. We shall see.

And, with such a mechanical process, this is ripe for scripting.

jeric_synergy
08-27-2016, 10:32 PM
Huh. Regular Drill worked fine.... I need to try again w/a more convoluted object: