PDA

View Full Version : Proxima B-New exoplanet found recently, extremly close to earth (considering)

prometheus
08-24-2016, 06:14 PM
Well..guess pandora has been discovered :)

Proxima-B, was discovered just the other day 24 august, 4.2 lightyears away, that is nothing :) finding a planet near the closest star we got except for the sun is exciting.
Seems it has potential for life, though proxima C, which is the star it orbits, seem to be a red dwarf.. and they believe it may be in the habital zone.
could also be some krypton thing :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxima_Centauri_b

Michael

jasonwestmas
08-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Very cool! 4.2 lightyears away but very nice to know about it.

MarcusM
08-25-2016, 01:21 AM
But propably this planet not rotating and is very close to star (5% distance Earth to Sun). Also radiation is to extreme for life exist.

Its interesting how that star looks from that planet. Proprably half sky.

prometheus
08-25-2016, 04:44 AM
But propably this planet not rotating and is very close to star (5% distance Earth to Sun). Also radiation is to extreme for life exist.

Its interesting how that star looks from that planet. Proprably half sky.

Radiation too strong, do we know that, it is a red dwarf...was there data of it or did the scientist mentioned this? I havenīt checked it all up...but since you mention it?

well..how the star would look? something we in our lifetime will ever get to know, unless intelligent beings are there and sends out some images to us :) would only take som 4.2 years perhaps.
I wonder if scientist will be able to have resources someday to by certainty be able to verify if this planet has water, that will be interesting, not sure the current tools today could analyze it..I think not, but if they get better tools in a near future.
I reckon there would be a huge red disc covering the sky.

MarcusM
08-25-2016, 05:10 AM
Radiation too strong, do we know that, it is a red dwarf...was there data of it or did the scientist mentioned this? I havenīt checked it all up...but since you mention it?

well..how the star would look? something we in our lifetime will ever get to know, unless intelligent beings are there and sends out some images to us :) would only take som 4.2 years perhaps.
I wonder if scientist will be able to have resources someday to by certainty be able to verify if this planet has water, that will be interesting, not sure the current tools today could analyze it..I think not, but if they get better tools in a near future.
I reckon there would be a huge red disc covering the sky.

There is something like astronomical spectroscopy. They know the chemical composition from light reflected from atom. For sure everything depend from device sensivity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_spectroscopy

When we are in space, this is very interesting about most mysterious star:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gypAjPp6eps

erikals
08-25-2016, 06:56 AM
MarcusM:  When we are in space, this is very interesting about most mysterious star:

yes, i recall that one, a quite fun watch  http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

prometheus
08-25-2016, 09:44 AM
yes, i recall that one, a quite fun watch  http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Wtf?
yeah, seems spectacular, leīs see what the data and new scientific findings say, and letīs not jump to conclusion that it is somekind of new type of lightwave:)

ianr
08-25-2016, 11:00 AM
So now all the one's that are Beating Up on GAIA (Mother Earth)
will have an Haven in their heads to run to.
Blame off... let's go to another place to POOP ON!
We are not that far evolved to be trusted with another World.

Ask Professor Lovelock he'd tell yer

kopperdrake
08-25-2016, 12:29 PM
The only reason we'll ever get to another planet will be down to pure greed, no matter how it's dressed up.

erikals
08-25-2016, 01:35 PM
The World's Governments would never tell us about intelligent alien life anyway.

as the world religions would collapse... :o

prometheus
08-25-2016, 03:47 PM
The World's Governments would never tell us about intelligent alien life anyway.

as the world religions would collapse... :o

I would say that some may talk about it, but if the religion is strong in that particular country, you may be right in that there would be forces working against it, but I believe there are also
scientist that would like to reveal it if there was something, the question is if they would be cut off.

James Woods is watching..

Letīs listen to those washing machine sounds again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9G5lrxTF6k

erikals
08-25-2016, 03:56 PM
scientist that would like to reveal it if there was something

ha! :hey:

yeah, we all know scientists can't help themselves!  :D

djwaterman
08-25-2016, 07:49 PM
Scientist would absolutely tell us, science does not keep secrets, plus they could care less about the collapse of world religions, which wouldn't happen anyway.

safetyman
08-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Let's go over there and consume all that planet's resources to refill ours. Our planet is more important and we are the chosen ones... we are the prominent species... we must spread throughout the universe and stomp all that stand in our way so that our way of life is maintained. That is all.

meshpig
08-26-2016, 05:26 AM

I doubt amidst the mere 50 suns in a 16p radius, too many mere earth-like planets will amount to the discovery of formidable alien intelligence.

meshpig
08-26-2016, 05:32 AM
... plus they could care less about the collapse of world religions, which wouldn't happen anyway.

You mean it couldn't happen because already has?

RebelHill
08-26-2016, 07:07 AM
Let's go over there and consume all that planet's resources to refill ours. Our planet is more important and we are the chosen ones... we are the prominent species... we must spread throughout the universe and stomp all that stand in our way so that our way of life is maintained. That is all.

^ this.

ianr
08-26-2016, 08:46 AM
"There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He's told us not to blow it
'Cause he knows it's all worthwhile" Etc.

By the late Dearly Missed...

let the children boogie....

prometheus
08-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Who am I to judge scientists or aliens, or even think I know better, but..
regarding that weird star, and dyson spheres...to me the first thoughts would be..huh..what a massive amount of work, material and energy to build such sphere, at least something that is anything similar to what artists depict it, at least given the forms depicted, I mean...why would there really be necessary to have some sort of continuous structure that is connected, instead of simply enourmous accumulators, or solar factories arouud a star, or just in some trajectory paths.
It is intriguing to think about what those dip distortions are, could be what I said without it all being some kind of dyson sphere we see depicted.

Collided planets, fractured to assymetry, weird spinning trajectories and various gravitational pulls that is chaotic? seems huge if I understood it correct though, larger than our planet right?

prometheus
08-26-2016, 04:53 PM
You mean it couldn't happen because already has?

it will take more than the latest 300 years or some more to collapse religious views that has been around for many thousands of years, but slowly we may get there, I wonder how many still is living in flat world? :) or earth being the center of the universe.

djwaterman
08-26-2016, 10:38 PM
Religions are very good at adapting scientific discoveries into their belief system, they'll even use them to correspond with some interpretation of the texts, and it becomes a tool to strengthen their argument. You can't win when fighting ghosts. Plus, forget the old religions, there are new ones popping up to replace them, specifically using some aspect of science to add credibility, these are marketed towards the huge numbers of people that have fallen away from traditional religions, we get many types of new age beliefs, affirmation, body healing, the universe will give you what you want if you tune your emotions to your desires, all that vague stuff that is basically the same thing without the churches and temples. The average person is always going to go for the beliefs that provide comforting answers that correspond to their own notions of self, and science just tells you how it really is and none of it is particularly comforting to our notions of self.

edit_Although the technology from science is comforting to our physical material existence, so there's that.

Megalodon2.0
08-27-2016, 12:27 AM
to me the first thoughts would be..huh..what a massive amount of work, material and energy to build such sphere,

That's why they wold use advanced nanotechnology and have nanobots do the work. The energy required would be harnessing the stars energy and the materials required would be massive amounts of asteroids and comets and planets in their solar system.

I wonder how many still is living in flat world? :) or earth being the center of the universe.

Oh believe me... there are MANY who believe that the Earth is the center of the universe. And they've proven it. They're on Facebook too. A very sad bunch.

http://www.theprinciplemovie.com/

prometheus
08-27-2016, 05:26 AM
The average person is always going to go for the beliefs that provide comforting answers that correspond to their own notions of self, and science just tells you how it really is and none of it is particularly comforting to our notions of self.

Sadly that seem to be the mechanism in the process that religion imposes, it seem to sort of pray on our deepest desires as well our deepest fears..to a point it is very hard to resist..so no wonder there is so many people following it, but ellaborating on that would be too much of breakin forum rules.

Michael