PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell render no longer supporting Lightwave

pghcgi
08-24-2016, 10:57 AM
In case anyone was considering upgrading, I got this message yesterday.

"Lightwave will no longer be supported in new Maxwell 4. And it will be expected to use GPU and CPU based rendering in 2017. In earlier versions you will be able to choose between GPU or CPU rendering.

Best wishes!"

AndyUno1
08-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Thank you for this. You just saved me a bunch of money.

fishhead
08-25-2016, 02:52 AM
Hmm, actually I did not know that it had supported LW in the first place... So never really was interested finding out more about it... :-\
Has there been any w-i-pīs / tutorials on how to use it with LW / reviews, or even just demo images from LW-Maxwell posted around here?

ianr
08-25-2016, 03:23 AM
Now more wriggleroom for RedShift

Snosrap
08-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Apparently just no market-not surprised. I tried the demo and wasn't all that impressed.

50one
08-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Kinda weird goven the fact that it initially started as a render engine for lightwave, 2007?

rustythe1
08-25-2016, 03:31 PM
they saw LW next render engine and threw the towel in, also odd as you think they would try to steel back octane adopters as the engine has grown at a high rate,

seghier
08-25-2016, 09:52 PM
are you asked them ? i didn't receive anything

AndyUno1
08-26-2016, 08:27 AM
Here is the response I received on Facebook.

pghcgi
08-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Interesting Andy, it sounds like there is a possibility? I sent a direct message to support regarding if Lightwave would be actively supported in version 4, as we were considering a purchase, and Next Limit is offering a nice discount to buy before the end of August. I quoted the message I got back from Juan Antonio Bernáldez, Support and Quality, Next Limit Technologies.

3dworks
08-26-2016, 01:31 PM
i forwarded this message to the beta team, problem seems to be that currently there are just *very few* LW customers to justify further development. also i guess they don't see any LW developments for a long time. i made a point about enhanced GPU speeds maybe generating more interest in our community which is by tradition very speed oriented. also i told them that next LW release is maybe about to be ... ehrm ... soon to be released. just my guess. let's see what happens. i was an addicted maxwell user since version 1, but switched over to octane for exactly that speed reason some time ago. but as i used maxwell a lot in the past it would be great to continue to have that option within LW for *highest* quality renderings, supported by latest hardware and upcoming LW versions. if only LW would release their update soon.

cheers

markus

MichaelT
08-30-2016, 06:03 AM
Hmm.. that does warrant a more ample response from LWG. Once companies drop support, it will be much harder to get them back. That said, I didn't even know they supported LW to begin with. So there is some blame on their part as well I think.

rustythe1
08-30-2016, 08:59 AM
well as stated above it did start out for lightwave, I assume it was for a bridge for realflow which also only had a lightwave plugin first (but now looks like they are moving more towards cinema 4d) to allow you to render the particles, spray and whatever more natively.

Alopex
09-27-2016, 02:05 AM
Really sad to hear this. Just bought Lightwave, LWCAD and Maxwell :'(

DarkLane
09-27-2016, 04:44 AM
I canīt get really worked up about this too much since Iīve owned Maxwell Render 2.7 and 3 and have used it just fine with LW for the past decade. The changes to maxwell are generally limited and I found not much difference in quality between 2.7 and 3. If 4 wonīt support LW, Iīll just keep using 3 and be happy with the results.

meshpig
09-27-2016, 05:03 AM
I canīt get really worked up about this too much since Iīve owned Maxwell Render 2.7 and 3 and have used it just fine with LW for the past decade. The changes to maxwell are generally limited and I found not much difference in quality between 2.7 and 3. If 4 wonīt support LW, Iīll just keep using 3 and be happy with the results.

How have you managed over time, the licence being locked to the hostID of a given machine?

djwaterman
11-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Can we still purchase the Maxwell plugin for LightWave? They no longer have it as an option on their site.

Snosrap
11-14-2016, 07:59 PM
Can we still purchase the Maxwell plugin for LightWave? They no longer have it as an option on their site.

Why would you want to.

samurai_x
11-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Why would you want to.

Exactly. Its like watching paint dry.
If people need unbiased renderer there's octane for lw. Its still slow for interiors but faster than maxwell ofcourse.
But for archiviz in lw to get the most quality kray is still relevant.
For jobs that only pay 200-300 bucks per render there's Unreal.

Ryan Roye
11-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Octane is not slow for interiors, but it does require a certain amount of light to be present in order to provide a fast noise-free result. An optimized Octane interior scene makes a heck of a difference. Both sides of this render used 100 samples and required 16 seconds to process (1x 780 TI), they both use the exact same settings, but the right side benefits from light balancing techniques.

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/OctaneRender.jpg

Perhaps in the future it'll become unnecessary to light-balance a scene enough to clear noise quickly for interiors, as it would add some convenience to Octane's workflow for sure.

samurai_x
11-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Let me rephrase that. Its not slower than maxwell. It is slower than a lot of other renderers out there.
Kray would eat octane alive for interiors. Talking evermotion quality renders not talking about toon quality renders.

antoniomitalia
05-30-2019, 02:43 PM
Hi guys, so what is the best renderer for LW? what are you using?

Markc
05-30-2019, 03:08 PM
LW2019 native renderer or Octane (cuda).

pixym
06-01-2019, 10:42 PM
Octane Render, but you have to use Octane materials…

artzgo
06-02-2019, 02:32 AM
Octane is not slow for interiors, but it does require a certain amount of light to be present in order to provide a fast noise-free result. An optimized Octane interior scene makes a heck of a difference. Both sides of this render used 100 samples and required 16 seconds to process (1x 780 TI), they both use the exact same settings, but the right side benefits from light balancing techniques.

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/OctaneRender.jpg

Perhaps in the future it'll become unnecessary to light-balance a scene enough to clear noise quickly for interiors, as it would add some convenience to Octane's workflow for sure.

the picture is not available,
you can prepare a simple scene explaining what you are writing about optimized Octane interior?