PDA

View Full Version : How to make a studio backdrop / landscape scene?

pekka varis
08-24-2016, 02:57 AM
Hello!

See this video I made with lightwave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK0CdN7Y91A

This video was a succsfull project, and customer was very pleased.
Today he ordered a new project :)
There is a kind of "landscape" scene with 3D object, like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6416182/Screenshot%202016-08-24%2011.47.31.png

Sorry I have never learned the way of embedding images on this forum!

Now I would love to hear about how you guys do a effective and good looking "studio backdrop landscape"

You know the one with soft shadows on ground but no shadows on the "horizon". I guess the curved huge backdrop or BALL is still the way to go, but what kind of lights / light do you use? How do you make it fast to render?

I have this own setup that I used fot the above video, but I feel it is very clumsy and shadows on the backdrop horizont is possible problem.

Please share you thoughts!!

erikals
08-24-2016, 04:41 AM
Looks Great!  :king:

as far as light type, not sure, i'll let someone else answer that, depends on the look.
either spot lights or area lights, mainly, i guess.

as for curved background, yep, that's how you go about it   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ-iPdoOxKE

erikals
08-24-2016, 04:52 AM
also have a look at Matt Gorner's Studio Lighting examples
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131275-Studio-Lighting-Setups-Lamborghini-Aventador

bit on that, and misc other related things >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv-OwTJFcxI

erikals
08-24-2016, 05:06 AM
HDR Light Studio is nice, but is $450

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh63mOwYc0Y

prometheus
08-24-2016, 06:01 AM
a proper cyce is what you need in the background, and set the lighting appropiate to that, so for instance only dome light is affecting the areas where the cyce becomes the ground, area lights and others set up so it is a bit above the product and cast itīs hard shadows on the floor, and also perferably towards the cam if you can.

a trick is to use a distance dissolve on a very large ground plane, and let it fade away in to dark or white, that way you will not have a sharp cut off in the background, and it will not pick up any shadows or light either, only lights and shadows on the ground...until the ground dissolves.

you could use a spherical type of cyce or half dome as well as erikals showed, and you can exlude lights from it, and actually turn up luminosity on the cyce, though you would probably need to exclude that object from being active in a radiosity scene.

raw-m
08-24-2016, 06:17 AM
I've made something similar recently where I've needed to change backgrounds and colours, so I've done the comping in AE and done separate shadow passes. I've also experimented with Shadow Density and Shadow Catcher on the ground, with varying degrees of success. LW is not particularly strong at passes for me, so interested in other techniques.

pekka varis
08-25-2016, 04:58 AM
Thanks guys! I start now to study this, and post here my resluts within one week!

erikals
09-03-2016, 09:53 AM
bump,
just one thing, as an alternative to HDR Light Studio, you could use this ($60) plugin from Oliver Hotz >
it's $60, but includes many other great plugins as well.

https://vimeo.com/163164294

pekka varis
09-05-2016, 07:19 AM
Thank you everyone helping me here!!

I have got it this far now, see the attached image.

Background is made from large half ball, as you guided me. The colour is Y gradient.

The item itself is lighted with one area light + textured environment gives a little reflections, blurred by noise texture.

2 problmes arose:

If I use Distance Dissolve, then the textured environment start to "glow" through. That is seemingly the meaning of dissolve - it makes objects also transparent as it makes them out of focus? I did not needed this Distance Dissolve feature after all since my background object was so huge that the GRID texture on ground faded away just by itself! There is not even a transparent gradienton it..

Then another, more serious problem was from about noise. I am blurring the environment reflection on my metal surface by bump noise. Since reflection blurring gave me horrible noise on fast renders, so I blurred a bit the texture environment image itself and added noise on bump channel of my material. I got some nice "matte" blurred metallic feeling. But textured noise is always best only on some projection angle and I was missing a uniform, fast noise solution on my bump channels. All the fractal noise methods I tried made a kinda FROSTIC look. You know there are some pattern always on those fractals. I would need a fractal (or artifical anyway) uniform type of noise for my metal surface. How can this be done without the seemingly visible frosted look..

Anyway, now I am rendering on 2 passes and I am fine with this, I shall move on animating the project.

prometheus
09-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Thank you everyone helping me here!!

I have got it this far now, see the attached image.

Background is made from large half ball, as you guided me. The colour is Y gradient.

The item itself is lighted with one area light + textured environment gives a little reflections, blurred by noise texture.

2 problmes arose:

If I use Distance Dissolve, then the textured environment start to "glow" through. That is seemingly the meaning of dissolve - it makes objects also transparent as it makes them out of focus? I did not needed this Distance Dissolve feature after all since my background object was so huge that the GRID texture on ground faded away just by itself! There is not even a transparent gradienton it..

Then another, more serious problem was from about noise. I am blurring the environment reflection on my metal surface by bump noise. Since reflection blurring gave me horrible noise on fast renders, so I blurred a bit the texture environment image itself and added noise on bump channel of my material. I got some nice "matte" blurred metallic feeling. But textured noise is always best only on some projection angle and I was missing a uniform, fast noise solution on my bump channels. All the fractal noise methods I tried made a kinda FROSTIC look. You know there are some pattern always on those fractals. I would need a fractal (or artifical anyway) uniform type of noise for my metal surface. How can this be done without the seemingly visible frosted look..

Anyway, now I am rendering on 2 passes and I am fine with this, I shall move on animating the project.

distance dissolve assumes you should have a clean backrund color..in this case, not much else.

pekka varis
09-06-2016, 01:36 AM
All right, I think I got a grip on this scene.

I made trial & error a nice turbulense noise that is uniform enough. It also looks more metal because it got that lightly "stained" feel on it.

About the orginal problem, the control over lights & shadows on this kinda dessert-studio-backdrop scene:

I do now a non coustics rendering with one area light.

Then I make a caustics + textured environment rendering, without the backdrop half-ball:

Then finally I compose this in AE:

The caustics + textured environment layer is luminosity mode, 20% opacity.

This way I can also move infographics texts behind my object, and I can control colors :)
The 2 pass rendering is great thing! I also found that rendering times are fast and nose is gone..
I like LW so mucH! Thanks all you people on this forum!!

pekka varis
09-14-2016, 01:56 AM
Here are my latest renderings of this project & this same setup..

I know they are a bit "boring" but I am sure that customer likes the look!