PDA

View Full Version : Clip Maps using transparent alpha channel. Cthru?

RyanJohnson
12-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Dear Lightwave Newtek General Discussion Forum Participants,
(Whew!)

I have a question concerning the ability to see through the cutout area of a clip mapped two-sided polygon with an alpha channel used in the transparency channel of the surface properties. Maybe there is even a better way to create what I'm trying to achieve.
I have a picture of tree. I want to put that image on a surface and remove the background of the image. When I create that effect using the method I now use, (as I described earlier), I cannot see through the background area of the clip map in Layout in order to see what i am doing in my juxtapositioning of my objects in order to create my "perfect composition".
I have figured I must place my images or clip maps from background to foreground in order to get everything placed where I need it.
Can I avoid this? Does anyone understand what i'm even talking about? Do I have a choice, or do i need to accept this the way it is? Is there another way?

Thank You,
Ryan

Dodgy
12-12-2003, 05:54 PM
You could make your objects semi transparent using the transparency slider in the surface panel, until they are perfectly placed, than turn it back off again...

Matt
12-12-2003, 05:56 PM
This thread from the old forum may help . . .

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/37758.html?

RyanJohnson
12-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks, I think that's simple enough. The tutorial was helpful too. It seems as though the object in the tutorial was transparent. I appreciate the help!