PDA

View Full Version : Gemona and IKBoost

gar26lw
08-22-2016, 03:59 AM
Can IKBoost be used with Genoma preset rigs or do you need to do a specific rig for IKboost workflow ?

thanks

Ryan Roye
08-22-2016, 10:47 AM
Yes, but IKBooster setups cannot be saved into a genoma rig directly. You have to set IKBooster up after layout genoma builds the rig.

If the rig structure does not change, you can transfer IKBooster setups from one identical rig structure to another by copying the IKBooster instance (geometry tab's custom object list), and pasting it onto a layout genoma rig that was just built. The ikbooster property must be applied to the same item in the heirarchy for this to work. In this way, the IKBooster setup only needs to be performed once.

gar26lw
08-22-2016, 05:40 PM
thanks Ryan. That copy/pase is a nice feature!

So is the IKboost workflow valid for genoma rigs that ship with LW with IK/FK blending?

I've tried to find info on this but all I find regarding IKboost predates genoma. Was the genoma system intended to be used with IKboost?

Excuse my ignorance :)

Ryan Roye
08-22-2016, 08:51 PM
thanks Ryan. That copy/pase is a nice feature!

So is the IKboost workflow valid for genoma rigs that ship with LW with IK/FK blending?

I've tried to find info on this but all I find regarding IKboost predates genoma. Was the genoma system intended to be used with IKboost?)

Since IKBooster is a part time IK system, it works with everything you have direct control over...

For genoma1: You'll want to set the IK nulls to move mode so you can click-drag them in the direction of your current view (aka screenspace controls).

For genoma2: The nulls of the rig can be manipulated with IKBooster. I recommend locking the skeleton heirarchy so that IKBooster doesn't select constrained bones it can't control (the bones aren't meant to be manipulated directly anyhow). Setting the shoulder and upper arm nulls to quaternion will make your FK manipulations work more smoothly as well. You can gain click-drag rotational functionality by adding child nulls to the FK and/or IK nulls, allowing you to manipulate both rotation and movement at the same time without switching modes, and use the CTRL key as a way to toggle how this manipulation behaves.

In general, IKBooster should always be applied to the topmost item in a rig heirarchy. In the case of Genoma, that's the master null.

erikals
08-23-2016, 12:42 AM
Great info! Thank you Ryan!  :king:

gar26lw
08-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Setting the shoulder and upper arm nulls to quaternion will make your FK manipulations work more smoothly as well. You can gain click-drag rotational functionality by adding child nulls to the FK and/or IK nulls, allowing you to manipulate both rotation and movement at the same time without switching modes, and use the CTRL key as a way to toggle how this manipulation behaves.
By nulls I assume you mean the fk controls for the arms in the genoma rig?

Could you elaborate on the adding of child nulls? Why would you need to add these?
Is the ctrl key toggle a hidden feature of Ikboost?

Apologies, I'm on an iPad atm and don't have ability to test out what you mention.

Thanks for the reply Ryan.

Ryan Roye
08-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Could you elaborate on the adding of child nulls? Why would you need to add these?
Is the ctrl key toggle a hidden feature of Ikboost?

This video demonstrates the concept:

https://youtu.be/I08HdlT45No

Basically, when you create a child null or bone in an IKBooster hierarchy, you are able to use it as a pivot constraint on the fly. Note that the example uses a child bone, but what type of object you are manipulating does not matter. Holding down the CTRL key will temporarily toggle "fix" points off to allow you to move your rig unconstrained. This concept of rig modification while animating is what makes IKBooster so powerful, as you are never stuck with a setup that may not work in all scenarios.