PDA

View Full Version : Viper at Holidays

Lewis
03-06-2003, 09:23 PM
Here is my latest Dodge Viper renders ;).

I wanted this time something diferent than just studio lighting (but i have 2 images of that on my page in RED and Black version so you can check my WEB also). So i made this composition version of my VIPER. It's called Viper_on_Holidays :). Everything on this image is my work (background image is shot with my Olympus digital camera). I made environment HDRI also and wraped to imageworld so reflection are aslo REAL from that area (i took pictures from balcony of house and made panorama HDRI 3800*1200 wide).

http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/pix/2003/03/06-12528_tn.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/pix/2003/03/06-12528.jpg)

http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/pix/2003/03/06-12705_tn.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/pix/2003/03/06-12705.jpg)

http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/pix/2003/03/06-12857_tn.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/pix/2003/03/06-12857.jpg)

You also can check small animation here (nothig fancy - just test how is looking with camera movement) Fiel is 2.5MB DivX codec.

http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/pix/2003/03/06-12243_tn.jpg (http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/anims/Viper_zoom.avi)

cheers

lwscottk
03-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Sweet work as always Lewis. Personally I think you should hit delete and start all over again!... j/k'ing :)

Cheers,
Scott

Rory_L
03-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Putting a photo of a real car in front of your LW house model will fool no one! :D

Beautiful work, and sleek car!

But why a Viper? Why does no one want to model the Reliant Robin?

R

Capel
03-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Ok, after seeing your viper, i don't even want to look at mine. Thanks a lot, Lewis. Did you HAVE to model the exact same viper as me??? Just kidding, amazing work. Very clean model. WOW!:D

Gluge
03-07-2003, 02:41 AM
Definatly one nice model but the lighting looks kinda off..

the viper looks mat in many places...

and it looks grainy..... ?

not that I have any sugestions on how to fix this... 8*)

banshee
03-07-2003, 04:25 AM
Modelling is superb, as usual. Can't view your webpage though:( Not sure why. Could you post the red one here?

Lewis
03-07-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by banshee
Modelling is superb, as usual. Can't view your webpage though:( Not sure why. Could you post the red one here?

I just clicked at my WEB and it works ()you scared me that my web isn't working :))

http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/portfolio_2003.htm

Schwing
03-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Nice model. I agree with Gluge. There are no spec. highlights on you auto model. You think there would something, even if small and unabtrusive. The image doesn't pop. :)

Lewis
03-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys

Gluge - lighting is matched wih sun position at backgroud image (since i made that phote and i made panorama image form balcony) i know where sun was so i can say it's 98% sure that light is at same position where sun was :)

Car surface is reflective (i don't know why don't you see that isn't mat) but it's reflecting sky wich wansn't been cloudy so it' kinda just changed color to lighter black :). Anout specular you are right there is no of specualr at this car. I intentionaly turned it of 'coz i didn't like efect and i didn't have time to make specular texture to control it ;). I will probably render it again with specualr when i catch soem free time. Thanks for reminding me.

Grain is there beacuse image in background was JPG compresed so i wanted grain to match blurnes of image in biger resolutions (i rendered at 1600*1200 and if i don't add samll amount of grain it stands too much from background :)).

Thanks

Gluge
03-07-2003, 01:22 PM
I'm not saying it is mat or that the sun isn't in the right possition, but the sun isn't the only light 8*)

I think the sun is good, but it seems in need of some bounce light, like... the inter-fender... should not be that black 8*)
and the whole under side of the car... maybe this is just because it's not modeled etc... which I can definatly understand 8*)

but I'd definatly model the inter-fenders if they're not and get some bounce light on them.

Also the tires look a bit too smooth or evenly shiny to me.
too bad I don't have a digital camera I just shinned my tires a couple days ago... they're so shinny it's crazy... I sware they look too shinny 8*)

As for the Viper looking mat...

Car surface is reflective (i don't know why don't you see that isn't mat)

I said it LOOKS mat in places... I definatly realize it isn't mat 8*)
as the front, and many places of the car body look quite nice and shinny... but largely the whole side, or the door anyway seems to be lacking in much reflection, I assume this is just becasue it doesn't have anything to reflect? anyway, just looks off to me, maybe get another house over there to reflect 8*)

as for the grain, I think it looks good, definatly a good call, but I think it just really stands out on the door or the car where it's a real even grey.

definatly very nice tho... are we gonna get to see an interior? 8*)

Lewis
03-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Hi Gluge !

I uderstand your point - here is something to consider.

In this scene SUN is only light (AFAIK we don't have 2 sunds so i know only one ;))

Thsi is lit by one distant light (representing sun) and HDRI environmnet of panoramic image shoot there.

Car do have botom and iner-fenders are modeled but that part have just black surface and sine i used radiosity with one bounce (backdrop only) that's all wha ti can get :). I don't have time for 2 bounces at 1600*1200 :))))).

I can make doors refelct hoses form other part of street and few other trees but then it would look like ther eis no wall and doesn't match camera angle :). Whe i put camera more up i get reflections (moustly red roofs of houses) but then my backdrop image looks out of place since that wall is 1-2 meter tall (from left to right) adn i was standing under wall when i was taking photos :). So i can fake reflections by moving reflections m0ore up but i mor elike realistic than fake :).

I know you mean that I didn't model interior and i'am hiding that in this images but hey you are wrong :P. Look here - i showed interior at WIP of this car ;). I tend to model everything what i can see on my references (BTW i never saw Viper closer than 20 meters - once in my life :))

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=650

Gluge
03-07-2003, 03:39 PM
There are OTHER ways to get some bounce light besides upping the rad. settings...

try some good old fasion spot lights with some shadow maps, that's almost all I ever use, throw down a dozen or so.... it's not rad. but you might be pleasently surprised with how good it can look sometimes 8*)

Yea I know what your saying about the reflections... I'd like to see it in a different enviroment though where there was more for it to reflect, that angle and shot seems strange, it'd be cool to see it like in downtown LA with a bunch of tall buildings around.

I know you mean that I didn't model interior and i'am hiding that in this images but hey you are wrong :P. Look here - i showed interior at WIP of this car . I tend to model everything what i can see on my references (BTW i never saw Viper closer than 20 meters - once in my life )

I knew you modeled the interior to a degree... I would just like to see it 8*) though yea, it does seem like your kinda avoiding showing it with these strange angles...

... all I remember about vipers is they're CRAMPED 8*)

Matt
03-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi Lewis

I've always admired your modelling skills, very precise, I like that!

I don't want to ask you to give away all your secrets, but what processes / tools do you use in modeler when taking on a car like that?

Is it all spline patches, or SDS, or both!

The thing I really want to know is how you create those subtle surface run-outs and radiusses on door splits.

But that would be asking too much!!

:)

Lewis
03-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Hehe Gluge i know few ways to fake radiosity but that's just isn't same :). Even 5 boxy area lights comes closest to real radiosity it's still diferent and not cool ar right radiosiry. I don't need to fake it 'coz i used radiosity lot of times and manged to tweak it fairly well to have 1600*1200 meduum Enhanced AA under 2 hours render :). I just don't use 2 bounces wich will maybe gain more to realism but comparing much more time and very small amount of difference (in this case) mybe isn't wort :). I will try few more tweaks, thanks for your imput.

I do agree that this car would be best in soem crowd city like L.A. or NewYourk but i spend 5-6 hours searching soem images in reasonable resolution and find nothing abouve 800*600 :(. IF you can shoot me few images in USA it would be great. I just used what i have :). I would love one Night shoot of city streets in L.A. with lot's of lights :)

BTW did you looked at that interior shoots of model or not ? I see you stil winig about want to see interior :).

Read again wha ti said about camera angles.

Matt - Thanks, i made interactive car tutorial on modeling Ford Mustang Cobra so you can see all my modeling at work there :). Just go to LWG Forums (http://www.lwg3d.com) and check interactive tutorials area.

All parts are SubDs - every thisn is 4/3 point polygon.

I'am not sure that i understand question about "subtle surface run-outs and radiusses on door splits", could you please explain me more (my English is not that good :)).

cheers

Epita
03-11-2003, 09:46 AM
WOW

yet again another great model from lewis. you rock!

Epita

Lewis
03-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Update, and now it's final i think :).

New light setup, more pronounced reflections, real evironment behind camera is more visible on car now, new tyres surface and specular on car like suggested on that red viper shot posted in cgtalk.com thread and few minor things ;).

cheers

The ripper
03-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Nice model Lewis but there're few things I find weird...
the white specular doesn't look right, front/rear lights glasses look too saturated and too opaque, the rims look dull and tires too clean.

These are just my opinions though.

Gluge
03-15-2003, 04:07 PM
I agree that those white specs look off, and the wheels definatly look dull, but I think they're probably supposted to be dull-ish.. maybe just a little less dull...

I think the front / rear glass isn't over saturated tho... the front little side blinker looks fine to me, though could maybe be a bit shinnier... rear glass looks ok... but it looks a little painted on / flat... I don't know maybe it needs to be less opaque..

I think the tires are fine tho, and personaly think they could have the glossyness increased some.. but it all depends on how shinny, etc. you want them I guess 8*) the whole car is clean though so I definatly don't think the tires should be dirty... IMHO, it's the rims that always get dirty frist.. well and a bit of dirt spray onto the body from the tires... 8*)

Anyway, I think it looks MUCH better all shinny like that and is great how it is now anyway. 8*))

Lewis
03-15-2003, 08:41 PM
Yeh i know it's not perfect guys but i don't like dirty cars ;). It sure would be more belivable if is dirty but i didn't see much dirty rendered cars (The Ripper your P206 also isn't dirty if i remeber - right ;)). Since this was just modeling job i'am satisfied that i find time to make any renders at all ;).

Thanks for comments you've been helpful.

Freak
03-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Sweet!!

I just wish you had of done a 2003 model.....
1992, is so yesterday.... :)

Regardless, you are the car king....