PDA

View Full Version : NDI for arm devices.

AElli
08-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Is there a vers. of NDI for arm devices like a raspberry pi, or odroid etc.

I'm thinking it would be great to use them for receiving NDI over IP and playing the stream
through its HDMI output.

Is anyone aware of anybody using / working on this idea ?
( Providing the answer to my first question is yes )

A.

AElli
08-27-2016, 03:14 AM
Can anyone chime in here ?? Interested to know if NDI is available for ARM Single board computers.

A.

kanep
08-29-2016, 07:25 PM
The NDI SDK has files for Linux OS and some of them are ARM based. Being the Raspberry PI is a low power system, I'm not sure if it has the processing power to deal with NDI. Someone else might know better the answer to that.

AElli
08-30-2016, 03:08 AM
Hi Kane thanks for reply.. The pi runs a quad core 1.2 ghz arm cortex and the odroid a 2.0 ghz quad core arm. so I believe they could if the SDK can support them. The idea is to use them NDI to HDMI.

livepad
09-05-2016, 07:03 AM
Hi Kane thanks for reply.. The pi runs a quad core 1.2 ghz arm cortex and the odroid a 2.0 ghz quad core arm. so I believe they could if the SDK can support them. The idea is to use them NDI to HDMI.

The NDI SDK does not currently provide ARM receive of NDI (only send).

AElli
09-05-2016, 11:52 AM
The NDI SDK does not currently provide ARM receive of NDI (only send).

Thanks for your input, unfortunately that puts a damper on my idea of using them as ndi-hdmi display devices. A strange choice to support sending as i cant see it being easy to get video into one of these boards .
A

kanep
09-05-2016, 03:05 PM
NDI send can be used for any internal graphics as well (video clips, titles, stills, effects), it goes beyond live video inputs. I'm sure that receiving supported will be added in time.

knitehawk
02-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Opening up the Raspberry PI to NDI receive would be incredible and add to the diversity of the possible products (as well as drastically reduce cost of development) i can think of MANY uses for this for industrial, residential and military applications. Not just low cost monitors for live video (that in itself would be a major change.) send is great but they really need to get both sides on the ARM. I am waiting (seriously every update i'm crossing my fingers.) I would be happy with live thumb nails and size restrictions. Really ANY NDI receive on a PI i would be ecstatic!!

rebotnix
03-10-2017, 01:46 AM
I agree, we are embedded developer as well and i see a great potential for boards like nvidia TX1 vs. TX2. TX2 has an octa ARM core. I do not see ARM libraries yet in the SDK. Where are they? The best would be if there is an agreement for certified developers who can work on crosscompiling the libs. If Newtek do not want to open their libs, please think about an certified developer program.

That would boost the development time and spread NDI standard much faster.

What do you think?

matt.beghin
11-07-2017, 06:31 AM
I totally agree, that would be incredibly useful !

chuckbak
04-10-2018, 04:10 PM
I totally agree, that would be incredibly useful !

Just following up to see in the time elapsed if ARM support has been added?
Specifically looking for 'receive' on ARM but willing to start with 'send' if supported.

thardie
04-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Just following up to see in the time elapsed if ARM support has been added?
Specifically looking for 'receive' on ARM but willing to start with 'send' if supported.

I tried yesterday to build the NDI_Recv sample. I got it to run on a raspberry Pi 3, but it only receives Metadata and Audio, no video. Seems so close. Any idea when video will be supported?

magdesign
07-17-2018, 02:52 PM
I tried to compile the new NDI SDK ( 2018-06-25 @ r90694) on RPi Debian Jessie, but I get following error:

NDILIB not found: arm-linux-gnueabihf
Makefile:31: recipe for target 'all' failed

tried all sorts of installing the gnueabihf, does anyone have an idea?

P.S.
NewTek should ask these guys to get help for the ARM video codec: http://www.techlife.sg/
They are amazing on such things....

ProjectileObjec
07-23-2018, 06:17 PM
I am also deeply interested in this SDK update.

gareylui
12-17-2018, 05:59 PM
looks like once your work going to close with Newtek product's feature. They will give you a dead silent................

rich99
03-06-2019, 12:58 PM
I tried yesterday to build the NDI_Recv sample. I got it to run on a raspberry Pi 3, but it only receives Metadata and Audio, no video. Seems so close. Any idea when video will be supported?

Same for me, did you manage to make it work?

paulglave
06-24-2019, 10:23 AM
So. This oneís rearing itís ugly head again. Raspberry Pi 4 is now with us with considerably more grunt. Do we think itís viable as an NDI receiver now?

mjgraves
06-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Given the history of legal issues with Newtek and the GPL, NDI is not included in FFMPEG. That makes NDI on Linux more challenging. That would likely impact NDI on ARM SBCs like RPi4.

Sienna does offer NDI Monitor for Ubuntu. It costs around $180 each, sold in bundles of 5. It requires an Intel CPU. Does not run on ARM.

They say it requires a host with Passmark score of 2800 or better. I can say from experience a Celeron N3450 (Passmark = 1843) does not handle 1080p60 playback. It drops frames. It can handle 1080p30.

SBowie
06-25-2019, 11:18 AM
So two things about this - first re: Raspberry Pi:

I'm told that, with all due respect to marketing, Rasberry Pi is still rather slow, and unlikely to run NDI well even with a really good great implementation. See reference below:

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Sysbench-CPU-test-640x336.png

More broadly speaking about ARM development: The NDI SDK already exists on ARM CPUs for NDI sending, though it's not as fast as we would like. NewTek is very interested in hearing from anyone who wants to work with us on optimizing the codec on ARM CPUs, the results of which would be made available for all in our usual manner. (As a footnote, I'm told that experience with NEON assembly is probably required.)

ddv2005
06-26-2019, 12:53 PM
I believe that new Rasberry Pi would be able decode NDI because NDI use SpeedHQ codec that very similar with MPEG2 that can be software decoded by Rasberry Pi 4. But I am not sure that Rasberry Pi can display decoded stream because it is more than 480Mb/s.
Also NDI Embedded SDK can receive raw NDI video stream on ARM. And in theory it is possible to decode raw stream by open source SpeedHQ codec implementation. is't it?

ddv2005
06-26-2019, 02:50 PM
I just make a test to decode full hd SpeedHQ2 video on Raspberry Pi 3 via ffmpeg and it can decode video at 26-30fps. It is mean that Raspberry Pi 4 would be able to decode NDI 1080p60 video even without NEON optimizations.

mjgraves
06-26-2019, 02:51 PM
oh, never mind.

livepad
07-01-2019, 12:08 PM
Is there a vers. of NDI for arm devices like a raspberry pi, or odroid etc.

I'm thinking it would be great to use them for receiving NDI over IP and playing the stream
through its HDMI output.

Is anyone aware of anybody using / working on this idea ?
( Providing the answer to my first question is yes )

A.

Is this the droid you are looking for ?

NDI Monitor for Raspberry PI. follow @ndi_cloud on Twitter for updates

http://sienna.tv/NDIMonitorPI.png