PDA

View Full Version : Octane for Lightwave Question - How do you rotate object in IPR?

unstable
08-20-2016, 11:29 AM
I had two questions, but I think figured out one. Apparently, if you're going to use an image for a texture in Octane, your object must have a UV map, otherwise you won't ever see the texture at all. The question I have that still remains is that I can't seem to find how to rotate an object in the IPR (other than rotate the camera in LW). I see numerous tutorials where the mouse cursor is on the IPR window and they rotate the object or around the object. I can only move the object up and down and from side to side by left clicking and dragging. Using the wheel, I can zoom in and out, but I can't find any key combination or mouse button combination that lets me rotate the object in the IPR. If you know how, please share that with me. Thanks

Ryan Roye
08-20-2016, 03:55 PM
I figured a video response is appropriate here; a clip from my Quick Start Guide to Octane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuUEpunqhD8&feature=youtu.be

Also, be aware that you don't always require a uvmap when using Octane... but if your object does not have one you will need to use what are called "projections", which is, in simple terms, the same as the standard ways that Lightwave applies textures to objects without uvmaps (planar, spherical, cubic, etc.)

Snosrap
08-20-2016, 08:53 PM
I had two questions, but I think figured out one. Apparently, if you're going to use an image for a texture in Octane, your object must have a UV map, otherwise you won't ever see the texture at all.

No, you don't necessarily need UV's to texture with images. All you need to do is use the Octane UVMAP node in Octane Utilities and plug it into the Normal Map input. Of course you still need a material and the Octane Texture Image node. In the Octane UVMAP node you can set the type of mapping including the LW T color layer if you already have something setup in the normal LW layers panel. At least that's what I recall as I'm not at my PC right now. :) The key is to use the Octane UVMAP node in Octane Utilities.

unstable
08-21-2016, 07:04 AM
I figured a video response is appropriate here; a clip from my Quick Start Guide to Octane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuUEpunqhD8&feature=youtu.be

Also, be aware that you don't always require a uvmap when using Octane... but if your object does not have one you will need to use what are called "projections", which is, in simple terms, the same as the standard ways that Lightwave applies textures to objects without uvmaps (planar, spherical, cubic, etc.)

Thanks very much for providing this video, but I don't think my Octane is working as stated. Maybe I have something set up incorrectly. I've attached 3 screen shots.
1. When camera is selected in the IPR I can pan up and down by dragging with the left or right mouse buttons. I can zoom with the mouse wheel. But I can't rotate. Also, you can see the blur I get if its set to scene focus.
2. Perspective view in IPR, I'm only allowed to zoom in and out with mouse wheel. No other movement is allowed. Even if I change the perspective view in LW and reload, the shot remains the same. Reset basically undoes zoom since that is the only thing I can do.
3. Target works exactly the same as perspective

unstable
08-21-2016, 07:19 AM
No, you don't necessarily need UV's to texture with images. All you need to do is use the Octane UVMAP node in Octane Utilities and plug it into the Normal Map input. Of course you still need a material and the Octane Texture Image node. In the Octane UVMAP node you can set the type of mapping including the LW T color layer if you already have something setup in the normal LW layers panel. At least that's what I recall as I'm not at my PC right now. :) The key is to use the Octane UVMAP node in Octane Utilities.

Again, I thank you both for providing some information regarding texturing in Octane. This probably sounds dumb, but while I understand the concept both you and Ryan state, I don't understand how to apply it. I'm looking now to see if I can find the details in documents or videos. For example, I can't seem to find the right combination for the node set up that works to displays the image. I found the Octane Projection node which has settings such as box, spherical, perspective, etc. that I think Ryan mentioned but I haven't found another node that accepts its output. I'm such a puttz. I'll keep looking thanks.

Ryan Roye
08-21-2016, 08:04 AM
2. Perspective view in IPR, I'm only allowed to zoom in and out with mouse wheel. No other movement is allowed. Even if I change the perspective view in LW and reload, the shot remains the same. Reset basically undoes zoom since that is the only thing I can do.

Octane for Lightwave currently does not match the perspective view of native Lightwave Layout, Octane's "perspective" is independent of this for the time being, essentially when your mouse cursor is within the viewport of Octane's IPR, the perspective controls are identical to native Lightwave.

unstable
08-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Okay then at least that explains what I'm experiencing. As for the texturing. If I go into Octane standalone I can add a Texture RGB Image node and add an image. I connect it to a Diffuse Material node and then the Diffuse Material node to my object. In the Diffuse Material node I set Projection from Wrap to spherical and my image appears on the object. However, the closest I find to this using the LW plugin is the Octane Texture Image which only has a Border Mode selection that contains Wrap, Black, White, Clamp or Mirror and I connect this node to Octane Diffuse Material node there is no project property to set. If I use a projection node I can't connect the Octane Texture Image node to it, nor can I find any node that will accept the Octane Projection node's output. It won't let me connect it to any other node.

unstable
08-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Ha... finally figured out how to do it. I didn't realize Snosrap was indicating the UVMap node connected to the Normal input of the surface, even though that is exactly what she said. This makes no sense to me, but it works and that is all that matters for now. thanks to both.

Snosrap
08-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Ha... finally figured out how to do it. I didn't realize Snosrap was indicating the UVMap node connected to the Normal input of the surface, even though that is exactly what she said. This makes no sense to me, but it works and that is all that matters for now. thanks to both.

Yep it has nothing to do with normals but it has to be linked there to trigger the evaluation. :)

juanjgon
08-22-2016, 02:05 AM
Hi,

The UVMAP node is a tool to add a UV map to the object at scene extraction time, very useful for example to work with displacements that only can be rendered over UV mapped objects, but you have also available the Octane projection node, that can be used to apply textures over objects without UV maps. The projection is computed at render time.

https://docs.otoy.com/Lightwave3D/?page_id=456

-Juanjo

zapper1998
08-22-2016, 03:18 AM
where is, appendix 2???

tk

Ryan Roye
08-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Hi,

The UVMAP node is a tool to add a UV map to the object at scene extraction time, very useful for example to work with displacements that only can be rendered over UV mapped objects, but you have also available the Octane projection node, that can be used to apply textures over objects without UV maps. The projection is computed at render time.

-Juanjo

In layman's terms:

The UVMap node is needed for when you are dealing with objects that need to deform (to prevent texture sliding whilst deforming). As mentioned, surface displacements from Octane also require either this or an actual UVMap to function.

The Projection node is more flexible than the UVMap node, and every individual texture can have individual projections.

If it is a non-deforming object and does not require surface displacement, projections should be used over the UVMap node. You do have the option of using both at the same time.

unstable
08-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Some more good information on this from Ryan and Juanjo, thanks so much. I got the projection node working properly now as well. Thanks for your time everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, on

unstable
08-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Oh, one more question. Is it normal to lose all textures even when saving the object in layout? For example, using a LW texture in layout I can close Layout and it will prompt to Save and Exit. With Modeler open, it will update the object and when I save, it saves the texture to the object. This doesn't happen in Modeler when using Octane textures. I've noticed if I save a scene with Octane textures and later open a model that is used in that scene in Modeler, I get numerous prompts saying no Octane plugin is found or something to that effect. Is this normal? Just point to me to the right direction if it is not so I can find it. Thanks

juanjgon
08-23-2016, 02:26 AM
Oh, one more question. Is it normal to lose all textures even when saving the object in layout? For example, using a LW texture in layout I can close Layout and it will prompt to Save and Exit. With Modeler open, it will update the object and when I save, it saves the texture to the object. This doesn't happen in Modeler when using Octane textures. I've noticed if I save a scene with Octane textures and later open a model that is used in that scene in Modeler, I get numerous prompts saying no Octane plugin is found or something to that effect. Is this normal? Just point to me to the right direction if it is not so I can find it. Thanks

Nope, this is not normal at all. The Octane nodes and textures should be available in the Modeler. Is your modeler sharing the same config files like the Layout? It seems that the plugin is not installed in the Modeler?

-Juanjo

unstable
08-23-2016, 04:51 AM
Nope, this is not normal at all. The Octane nodes and textures should be available in the Modeler. Is your modeler sharing the same config files like the Layout? It seems that the plugin is not installed in the Modeler?

-Juanjo

I did not install the plugin in Modeler. According to the install instructions https://docs.otoy.com/Lightwave3D/?page_id=39 you only install it in Layout. I will check to see if the same config is being used.

juanjgon
08-23-2016, 05:07 AM
Yes, install the plugin in the Layout should be enough, but the Modeler must share the same config files.

-Juanjo

unstable
08-23-2016, 05:16 AM
Yes, install the plugin in the Layout should be enough, but the Modeler must share the same config files.

-Juanjo

Okay, I got things squared away now so the textures save with the object. Thanks for the help. I did not have to install the plugin in Modeler. Once installed in Layout properly, it took care of the Modeler issue. I had copied the octane.dll and octane.dat files to my bin directory. I copied my original tbb.dll to a backup folder before overwriting but must have been interrupted, because I never overlaid this file. Once I overlaid this file with the tbb.dll that came with Octane, it resolved the issue. Its interesting that the only place I found this instruction to overlay the tbb.dll was on the screen where you download the plugin and not in the documentation. At any rate, thanks for the help.

juanjgon
08-23-2016, 05:28 AM
Great! The plugin docs are not updated yet with all the new Octane 3.0 features, but the install instructions have been updated some time ago:
https://docs.otoy.com/manuals/products/lightwave-3d/v3/getting-started/installing-octane-for-lightwave/

Thanks,
-Juanjo

jscott1172
01-20-2017, 02:51 PM

I'm new to Octane and Nodes.
I'm trying to add an image texture to the floor of my scene but it's not showing up in the preview window.

I've tried following you but I need help.
What am I doing wrong?

Here's my scene:
https://render.otoy.com/forum/download/file.php?id=58992&mode=view

Snosrap
01-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Well for starters check mark the box next to Edit Nodes to activate nodes on the Surface Editor panel. :)