PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Smart IBL software?.

cove
08-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Is there an alternative modern equivelent to Smart IBL lightwave plugin
[free or paid for]?
Link http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/
I like what this software does but but im having issues with it.
Or is there a way to create a single layout scene set up equivalent to a Smart IBL scene
so i can then manually add the background and enviramental images.

prometheus
08-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Is there an alternative modern equivelent to Smart IBL lightwave plugin
[free or paid for]?
Link http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/
I like what this software does but but im having issues with it.
Or is there a way to create a single layout scene set up equivalent to a Smart IBL scene
so i can then manually add the background and enviramental images.

you have this ..which also allows you to paint in the Illumination and lightspots..though I think it is a bit expensive.. otherwise if sibl isnīt working for you ..manuallyyou can add lightprobe (hdr,exr) images by environment lightprobe, though it should be working so I am not sure what problem you got with it?
You can use any hdr image from sibl libraries ..by manually adding them in the environment/lightprobes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_gmlFZftm8

Schwyhart
08-18-2016, 01:42 PM
HDR Light Studio is great, but is WAY overpriced.
https://www.lightmap.co.uk/

cove
08-18-2016, 03:28 PM
you have this ..which also allows you to paint in the Illumination and lightspots..though I think it is a bit expensive.. otherwise if sibl isnīt working for you ..manuallyyou can add lightprobe (hdr,exr) images by environment lightprobe, though it should be working so I am not sure what problem you got with it?
You can use any hdr image from sibl libraries ..by manually adding them in the environment/lightprobes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_gmlFZftm8

Thanks prometheus and Schwyhart for video and link to
"HDR Light Studio".
Looks to be a great programme but as you say its expensive.

Will look into your suggestion to use environment lightprobe.

As far as Smart iIBL not working for me.
It would take to long to explain all that ive done to try and get this software to work properly.
Would be better if i reinstalled Smart IBL and took screen shots of the various error messages i get.
Will not be able to do this till tomorrow [Getting late here].

cove
08-19-2016, 06:25 AM
Update to Smart IBL issue.
Here are the images of the error messages i get.

After reinstalling Smart IBL I then reinstalled and opened up ibl edit software which fortunatly opened up without any
previously added changes.
Then set the Smart IBL plugin file location and the Smart IBL images location and loaded in, individually, each of the
image sets in the Smart IBL image folder.
After doing this i then saved an empty layout scene then clicked on the Smart IBL icon.

Although i did get an error message this first time of opening
Smart IBL it did result in the Smart IBL panel opening up.
Double clicked on an image and a normal Smart IBL scene opened up in layout.
Given there was an error message during this first startup i then
saved the the scene with all its Smart IBL content and setup so i had
a scene to load and could then add image textures manually.

Then cleared scene and saved another empty scene and clicked on the Smart IBL icon again but this time i got the
sequence of error messages as shown in the posted images.

I mention the following in case it matters---
When you use Smart IBL i think it automatically adds some info to the Lightwave Config file.
Could the faulty startup of Smart IBL be caused by a previous faulty installation which is recorded in the lightwave config
and subsequently any reinstallation will always be faulty.
If so would uninstalling Smart IBL software and then go through the procedure to delete the present Lightwave config file
then simply restarting Lightwave would then creat a new config file with no reference to Smart IBL.
After doing this and reinstalling Smart IBL would i then see Smart IBL open up normally.
Thanks for any info/comments in reply.

spherical
08-19-2016, 09:31 PM
You could look at the Layout config file, probably at the top or bottom, for code related to sIBL and delete it. Otherwise, rename your present Layout config, start Layout, it will create a new config, and go thought the sIBL steps again to see if that makes a difference.

cove
08-20-2016, 04:27 AM
You could look at the Layout config file, probably at the top or bottom, for code related to sIBL and delete it. Otherwise, rename your present Layout config, start Layout, it will create a new config, and go thought the sIBL steps again to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks spherical for advice on the Lightwave config file.
Yesterday i recieved Advice from Lightwave tech support, who looked at my post here, that amounted to the same things that
you have suggested. But you have suggested an alternative way to deal with the config file.
Tech support said i could delete config file and provided instructions on how to do this but after restarting Lightwave ill need
to reset all my plugins again in the Edit/Configure Menues/menue column].
Your suggestion to simply rename the config file on the face of it seems an easier and quicker way to deal with the config file.
But not shore if i will need to reset all my plugins again as above.
I have one more thing i can try to get Smart IBL working if that fails then ill have no other choice but to go the config root.
Will try renaming file first and see what happens.
If i try the config root then ill know if this option has worked as even though ive uninstalled Smart IBL there remains the
Smart IBL title in the Edit/Configure Menues/menue command column].
If i see this title is not there then ill know all references to sIBL have been cleared and hopefully will after reinstalling Smart IBL have
a normal sIBLE startup panel.
Ive already set up images, from a new folder with selected image files, in sIBL edit software.
It looks as if all i need do in sIBL preferences is point it to the same folder as sIBL edit and hopefully both software should tie in
together and work ok. Just have to wait and see.

spherical
08-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Renaming is essentially the same as deleting. Layout won't find what it is looking for, so will create a new one. Renaming allows you to retain the file for later use. You could then go in and edit the renamed file, removing lines that sIBL may have placed there, and save it as the filename that LightWave wrote originally in order to test if things work better without starting over from scratch each time.

cove
08-21-2016, 04:29 AM
Renaming is essentially the same as deleting. Layout won't find what it is looking for, so will create a new one. Renaming allows you to retain the file for later use. You could then go in and edit the renamed file, removing lines that sIBL may have placed there, and save it as the filename that LightWave wrote originally in order to test if things work better without starting over from scratch each time.

Had to go the delete config root.

Looked at "LWEXT2015.3-64" file and was not shore wether this was the file i should re-title.
In this file there were 7 lines of text 4 of which had "sIBL" mentioned in the line of text.
Again i did not know wether to delete all 7 lines of text or just the 5 with "sIBL".

I then followed the advice and instructions given by Lightwave tech support to delete the Lightwave config file.
Tech support had also asked me to reply back to let them know wether the sIBL issue had been resolved.

Have copied and pasted the reply i sent to tech support so you can see exactly what happened after deleting config file restarting Lightwave and trying sIBL again.

Quote.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
sIBL update. Good and bad news!.

Followed your instructions to delete Lightwave 2015.3 config file.
This removed the aIBL title from the edit/edit menue layout/configure menus/Command panel.
I reinstalled Smart IBL and the software did open up with a normal start up panel which asked you to provide an sIBL folder name and the address of the same folder.
After doing this then clicking ok the software then came up with a message that it could not find a reflection image file and repeated this message 15 times [for each
and every image in the sIBL folder].
Once id got passed this part the sIBL panel opened up ok showing most of the images from the folder [3 images did not show].
Nevertheless an sIBL scene did open up after id selected an image.
I cleared the layout scene.
I then placed an charactor object into layout and saved the scene then clicked on sIBL. Again i had to click ok 15 times [could not find a reflection image] but did end
up with a complete sIBL scene including the charactor object.
The point of having the charactor object in the scene was to see if rotating this charactor or rotating the background scene wether any varying lighting effect would be seen on the figure itself.
Unfortunatly the figure remained flatly lite and i saw no change what so ever.
This established that there are missing image files.

I then used the sIBL edit software to load in all the image files in my SIBL folder and with each file i loaded sIBL edit showed that it loaded a reflection image file. I thought job done but no!.
When i then loaded a new sIBL scene i got exactly the same opening message window "could not find a reflection image" for each and every file.
Very reluctently ive now given up on sIBL software and have for a second time deleted the lightwave config file.

This is a double blow for me because when i originally installed the sIBL software [I managed to get it working with hardly any issues] and saw the "desert roadway scene" i instantly new
what objects i wanted in the "desert roadway scene"
2 Harley davidson motorbikes plus male and female riders.
I created a lightwave scene that showed the the 2 figures casually by there bikes parked just slightly off the "Desert Highway road.
The way the sIBL scene lite the bikes and figures was just great.
I thought with a bit more work on the motorbikes to make them look a bit dirty ,as the bikes looked to new/clean, i could have an image that would be good enough to go into the Lightwave gallery.
This for now at least cannot happen.
I do still have a saved a Lightwave/sIBL scene so can still make efforts to recreate the original sIBL/Desert Highway lighting.
So alls not lost.
Anyway thanks again for helping me through this sIBL issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
End quote.

All i can say is thanks to you and others for providing helpfull advice. cove.

cove
08-24-2016, 05:15 AM
Decided to try and get sIBL working just one more time but used a slightly different way than previously.
After about 4 weeks of trying to get sIBL to work with very little success i finally made it. :)
The main cause of failure was to do with the third party image collections as after loading some of the images into
sIBL is when i had issues read on for more info on this.

Here is my root to a successfull and usable Smart sIBL.

Download sIBL software [version 182] and Starter's sIBL-Collection [4 image sets].

sIBL software
Direct link
http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1316465879

Starter's sIBL-Collection [4 image sets]
Direct link
http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/how_it_works.html

Copy sIBL plugin file [Smart_IBL.lsc] into your Lightwave programmes plugins folder then open Layout and install this plugin from same location.

You should now have an extra Additional tab at the top of your layout window with "Smart sIBl" inside it.

The first time you open sIBl you are asked to provide a folder name ["Starter's sIBL-Collection"] and an address of the stored image files.
For the address click on your "Starter's sIBL-Collection" folder and select the next folder down called "sIBL-Collection"
[There is a further folder inside the one just mentioned titled exactly the same. Im pretty shore that it is the first folder you need to sellect.
You may need to try both individually].

You should now have 4 image files showing in the sIBL window.
After clicking on an image then clicking ok you will be asked to save a scene file. After doing this a normal sIBL scene should open up with all sIBL
objects and images in there place showing in Layout.
After this "first time" using sIBL i found there after saving a scene file prior to selecting the sIBL button automatically took you straight to the sIBL images panel.
You can also save a scene that has some content [objects/textures]. sIBL will load this scene with content and all the sIBL files as well.

Thus far all should be working ok.
The next step is to get more image files into sIBL over and above the 4 already there.

I reread the breaf install info on the sIBL site and thought seeing that the "Starters sIBL Collection" is installed as the path and functioning ill install individually my
selection of the "sIBL Archive folder" images there as well and it worked.

I selected the last folder in each image file folder and copied them across to the "Starters sIBL Collection" folder which is the one that i created a path to in preferences.

I downloaded individually each and every image file i was interested in from the sIBL site.
Direct link.
http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html
This included a good selection from the third party collections which i saved into seperatly named folders.

When i then installed/copied a variety of images from the third party collections i hit problems.[Got error messages] which locked up lightwave requiring the use of the end task function.
Deleted these third party files and sIBL worked normally again.
Now have to find out which third party images/folder caused the problems which means trial and error to find the culprit.
Hopefully it is only one image or one folder out of 5 seperate folder collections.

Any way i hope the way i got sIBL to work also works for you.

cove
08-24-2016, 01:53 PM
These are the files that loaded ok into sIBL via preferences.
[Also I did find the folder that gave me issues read on].

Procedure i followed to install third party images.

Save a scene then click on Smart sIBL button/preferences/add.
When the "Import sIBL Collection" panel opens up provide the title of your third party collection image file folder
eg. "WellesleyGreenhouse1"
[From the "Rhode Island School of Design collection"]
[there are 2 folders named the same. Its the first folder that you select].
Then select the path to this same folder.

You go through this same procedure for every file you want to install from any of the following third party collections.
"Rhode Island School of Design collection"
"HDR-VFX Promo Library"
"HDRI Hub Promo Library"
"HDR Source Promo Library"
All the files that i downloaded from the above collections loaded ok.

This is an important bit this---
After each installation of an individual image file you must close sIBL then do a save scene and click on the sIBL button.
Only then will your last installed image show and be selectable.

The only time i had an issue was when tried to install images from this collection "Dutch Skies 360° Promo Library".
There are a lot more folders inside the individual image folders.
I thought i had selected the right folder in one image file but the result was after loading it in i got an error message followed by
Lightwave locking up requiring i use the end task function.
On restarting layout and selecting sIBL i got the same error and layout locked up again.
As far as i know there is no way to stop layout locking once it has happened once.
But I did this-----
I deleted the sIBL config file from the same folder were Lightwave
has its config files.
This action did result in sIBL working again but it restarted as if i was starting it up for the first time. Which meant that i had to
reinstall all the image files all over again. A bit of a pain but im now back to a working sIBL with all images reinstalled.
accept for any from the "Dutch Skies 360° Promo Library".
If any of you want to use sIBL with "Dutch Skies" images then i suggest you try loading one of the "Dutch Skies"files before any other image
files so if things do go pear shaped for whatever reason you have very little to recover from and would be a lot simpler to then start sIBL and
load virtually any other images again.

Finally it will also be of interest to know that if you have an sIBL scene loaded into layout then, without clearing the scene first, just click on
the sIBL button and select a new image.
All the image files are changed to the new image you had just selected without the prior need to do a presave of the scene.
Could be a usefull way to view several images one after another without the need to do a resave scene every time.

What ive described above is one way to get sIBL working with third party images if no other way works for you.

cove
08-26-2016, 04:04 AM
This is a follow up to my previouse post tilted "Found the sIBL third party folder that locked up Lightwave."

Have now downloaded more image files from sIBL site and successfully loaded them individually via preferences.
Now have 82 image sets loaded and showing/working ok.

Did have a problem with one image file i tried to install.
This file would not load properly into sIBL via preferences
Image folder HDR-VFX Promo Library
Image file hdvfx_0005_nyany
I think the error message said something like "Could not find reflection object"

You may want to try and install this file your yourself as it may work for you.