PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Performance Issue.

thiyaguthree
08-17-2016, 02:41 AM
Hi

I have been experiencing performance issue over 2015.3 version,

it is taking almost 30 seconds to get active when I click 'continue' after render.
Previously it was active mode immediately. I'm facing this issue for long time. maybe specific here.
Is there anyone who faced this kind of issue and resolved successfully let me know friends.

Danner
08-17-2016, 03:27 AM
Looking at your scene your performance issue seems kind of normal for Lightwave.. it seems to choke on me too when I have over 3million polygons. The unresponsiveness after render happens when I have lots of subpatch geometry.

spherical
08-17-2016, 02:37 PM
Could be writing the image to disk during that time. I have long experienced a hesitation after either an Abort or Continue and a wiggle of the mouse cursor after hitting the button wakes it up more quickly.

thiyaguthree
08-18-2016, 12:15 AM
Oh! Really?
So you also experiencing the same, it means working with the large modeler files.(200mb)
Thank you guys.

spherical
08-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Well, seeing as how we are talking about rendering in Layout, it means working with large (heavy) scenes. Lots of things contribute to the total memory footprint of a scene. Hundreds of small models, lights, textures & images can cause a bigger hit than a big model.

thiyaguthree
08-22-2016, 02:02 AM
yes I knew the concept of scene. when you are working in layout with heavy models that would cause the total scene to low performance low.
Not only model also dynamics hypervoxel etc., But after the scene finished doing the test render it takes nearly 45 seconds to get back to the active mode. This is really bad for my regular work, Of course there are factors that affect the scene to become slow. so you guys or lightwave dont seem to have any solution for this.we have to optimize the scene and work accordingly.

Thanks

Ztreem
08-22-2016, 04:28 AM
Things to think about that bogs Lightwave down is:

Objects with a lot (100+) of surfaces (materials).
Lots of objects or layers (100+).
Lots of lights (100+).
High poly subdividsionsurfaces.

If you need high poly objects try to use freezed meshes with only tris. Look into if you can use proxy objects instead of high poly objects to make the scene feel snappier.

Then of course if you push the system to it limits you will feel the consequences, it will never be as smooth to work with 5 million polys as it is to work with 5 polys.

Ztreem
08-22-2016, 04:31 AM
One thing I noticed several years ago, was that after a render I had to move the mouse to get LW to get back from render. I don't have this problem anymore but that doesn't say that this little bug can affect you. I've had many installs that behaved different on different computers.

spherical
08-22-2016, 02:39 PM
One other area that could be a issue is hardware configuration. Are system-level paging files on separate drives from the %systemDrive% and also where the applications are installed? Are the temp and tmp variables on drives separate from the %systemDrive% and application-specific swap space; the latter should be on a separate drive from all of the others as well. Lots of drives, I know, but having any of these on concurrent drives slows down operations, as the head can only do one read or write at a time. Then, of course, there's amount of RAM in the system.

thiyaguthree
08-23-2016, 05:28 AM
No. it is controlled by the IT department so I cant make changes individually. what you said all have been with the system drive only. No separate drives. I have servers. As you guys said the problem is only with the heavy scene file where it renders millions of polycounts. I face the problem on the kinda scene that is attached.
About my computer, On total 298 GB only 17 GB is free, rest of the space is occupied by autodesk, adobe softwares, etc.,134146

Prince Charming
08-23-2016, 06:58 PM
No. it is controlled by the IT department so I cant make changes individually. what you said all have been with the system drive only. No separate drives. I have servers. As you guys said the problem is only with the heavy scene file where it renders millions of polycounts. I face the problem on the kinda scene that is attached.
About my computer, On total 298 GB only 17 GB is free, rest of the space is occupied by autodesk, adobe softwares, etc.,134146

Tell your IT department you need faster computer ;)
Most of LW processes are single threaded so your clock speed is not helping you very much. I had a very similar system to you then I upgraded to a i7 4790k that runs at 4.6 ghz. It was like a whole new world. Now I have half the threads as my old duel xeons, but it still renders 1.5X faster, and everything else is 2.5X faster. It made a huge difference from a usability standpoint... not as much from a render speed stand point.

Also tell your IT guy that faster ram, and ssd will help as well. :)

Danner
08-23-2016, 07:00 PM
looks like a ton of trees... Are you using isntances for them?

thiyaguthree
08-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks Prince.
Yes. Need a fast computer. But we have been discussing about buying a new high configuration. it's not so easy to purchase now here. probably this year end will buy a new system.I have been using this current configuration for years.
Danner - It is Hypervoxel particle generation before frame 0 to rest on ground and hills

bazsa73
08-24-2016, 12:57 AM
Bake the particles into pfx. Those Hypervoxels take ages to render, don't they?

erikals
08-24-2016, 08:10 AM
I upgraded to a i7 4790k that runs at 4.6 ghz.

holy Macaroni, where can we buy this? i guess it's Overclocked?

Those Hypervoxels take ages to render, don't they?
yes, for vegetation, don't use HyperVoxels, use Instancing.

jwiede
08-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks Prince.
Yes. Need a fast computer. But we have been discussing about buying a new high configuration. it's not so easy to purchase now here. probably this year end will buy a new system.I have been using this current configuration for years.
Danner - It is Hypervoxel particle generation before frame 0 to rest on ground and hills

Adding more ram would probably lead to a significant improvement in performance, as you only appear to have 12GB RAM. For working with complex scenes, esp. in LW which is fairly RAM-hungry, you really want 32GB or more of RAM. That T7500 system ought to be able to take as much as 128GB of RAM (8x16GB), and price for 32GB is only ~$67 at first vendor I found for T7500-compatible DIMMs on Amazon (USA pricing, not sure what pricing would be for India -- see https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C7YSNEQ ). Ideally, also ensure all 8 banks are filled (with same size DIMMs) to maximize RAM performance.

Expanding RAM is much cheaper than buying a new system, yet can lead to huge performance boosts if you are currently exhausting all available RAM while working or rendering in LW.

Hope this helps!

thiyaguthree
09-06-2016, 11:10 PM
yes, for vegetation, don't use HyperVoxels, use Instancing.

Do you have any references of trees that rendered quickly

prometheus
09-07-2016, 12:07 AM
Do you have any references of trees that rendered quickly

as erikals said, donīt go the route of hypervoxels on this, you will encounter render slowdown, and also..it doesnīt look that realisticly unless you really really push it.

consider looking in to octane for dense vegetation.

Regarding trees rendering quickly, well..plan your scene and have more detailed trees in the foreground, and less polys further away, could use lod obj replacement perhaps..but not sure of best workflow with instances.

you also got the issue of hypervoxels not rendering with GI .

erikals
09-07-2016, 01:44 AM
the only place i would consider using HyperVoxels would be moss,

but even then, as you say Prometheus, there is the lack of GI.

also see >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmrSLm2MpD4

prometheus
09-07-2016, 05:27 AM
the only place i would consider using HyperVoxels would be moss,

but even then, as you say Prometheus, there is the lack of GI.

also see >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmrSLm2MpD4

Well..You could use hypervoxels and sprite clip maps with lpha embedded, from a certain angle some vegetation clips may look good, but only certain angles. :)