PDA

View Full Version : UV unwrapping circular dial face? / UV question /dealing with circles/ practicalities

jeric_synergy
08-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Here's a disk that has had MAKE POLE applied, resulting in a circular array of wedges.
Is there a way to UNWRAP this geometry to make it amenable to a linear bitmap that will be applied as if for a dial on a meter?

I rarely to {virtually never} use UVs, so....I imagine one would start UNwelding all the points, but there's only the one center point.....

Is it practical to do so,
OR is it smarter to re-create the geometry in a fashion that automatically creates a linear UV map (as one can get with LATHE),
OR is it smarter to use the capabilites of something like Adobe Illustrator and just deal with a simple, flat projection?

Sensei
08-17-2016, 03:55 AM
You could try unwelding one outer point, and then using ABF UV Unwrap.

or

Make edge loop in middle of your triangles. Delete inner triangles with center point. Then select the all points remaining on previous middle, and use Set Value XYZ, with previous center, but not weld them, yet. And this ABF UV Unwrap.

lertola2
08-17-2016, 06:11 AM
I think it would be easiest to make a long horizontal rectangle. Make a uv map for that. Then bend it into a circle.

jeric_synergy
08-17-2016, 08:24 AM
I think it would be easiest to make a long horizontal rectangle. Make a uv map for that. Then bend it into a circle.

That sounds about right.

In the QUEST for this, Magdi Mohktar (check out her LW stuff, it's awesome) over on FB turned me on/reminded me of this little gem:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090211080126/http://www.chromecow.com/downloads/lscript/seans-dial-ticks/

I haven't tried it recently, but I remember it worked a treat.

Someone also point out that the numbers actually all are oriented the same way, they are parallel. d'oh!!! :redface: So my thought of UV distortion radially was not canon anyway.

Snosrap
08-20-2016, 10:12 PM
I think it would be easiest to make a long horizontal rectangle. Make a uv map for that. Then bend it into a circle. Yes while that is one solution I think a much more practical solution is to just create the dial in Illustrator or such. If one wants to just create some lines that go around bending into a circle that works fine, but if he wants to add text or numbers some stretching can occur. I'd like to see a good solution for this as I have made some clock faces in the past and wanted to do just that - create it linearly and apply. Didn't have much luck so I went the Illustrator route. :)

jeric_synergy
08-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Did you see the script above? (#4)