PDA

View Full Version : Apple Take the Money and Run..........

Glendalough
12-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Hello Folks,
I just bought a new G5 about a month ago and then about one or two days later the price was dropped about 300 dollars (200 in the US). Didn't feel too good about this so phoned the dealers to see about getting any compensation. They phoned Apple and the best deal was get about 100 off DVD Studio Pro.

Over here (Ireland) that put the price at about 120 above the US, not just all tax either, the weak dollar is still set in most of Europe at the much higher value that it was about a year ago.........don't think Apple doesn't know this.......

Finally after much delay, a few weeks, was told they had to "manufacture" some first in order to get it out. Today it arrived in an "overnight" shipment that took 3 days.

Apple's main European headquarters (and factory) are located here in Ireland (God help the rest of Europe).

The internal box or container for the DVD Pro was fairly knocked about and scratched, ornamented with dirty finger marks on all sufaces inside and out and on the slipcover. The manual appeared almost new and only slighly scruffed on the back (they don't read too much?).

The installation of DVD Studio Pro, though tedious, with apple's usual attempts to get at your bank account, went smoothly, or so I thought.............

The DVD Studio Pro seems to open and function, but the Compressor does not.

When I try to open it, click on the icon, it opens and appears for a split second and then disappears.........Apple's helpline guides one through a telephone menu, you finally come to Final CP and DVD Pro, "press 3" and then it automatically hangs up.......The web support seems worse (doesn't work properly with Safari) and looks like a nightmare (people don't seem to be able to get anything to work here).

Think this is pretty amazing that Apple's own software won't work on it's own machines..........

PLEASE does anyone have any ideas or insight on why Compressor won't open?

Anything to test or do?

Glendalough
12-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Sorry Folks,
I managed to download an update + new version of QT6 required so Compressor seems to open and work (hope so).
Just think this could have been included on disk Apple was so busily "manufacturing", as out of the box it doesn't work.

js33
12-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Well software update should have ran when you restarted your machine to tell you there was a new download for QT and compressor.

Sorry about the money thing. But that applies to just about anything you buy these days. Just wait a week and it will be cheaper.

Also although I've been critical of Apple in the recent past the DVDSP2 program has been one of the highlights of using a Mac for me lately.

I'm using the original 15" flat panel iMac w/SD so I had to order the $25 VGA cable so I can use one of my 19" monitors.

Why didn't they just put a regular VGA connector on the back instead of the mini one? Answer: Well then I wouldn't have had to buy an overpriced VGA adapter.

Cheers,
JS

strongarm27
12-13-2003, 01:17 AM
Ya the money thing does suck. I just ordered a
duel 2 gig from the apple store(us) for $2499
refurbished. It sounds like a great deal but by
january 6-9 it will be a mid rang or low end
system carrying the lower price tag. I am not
mad though. Its not full price and I get a tax
brake buying for work before the end of the year.
I try to buy when the new systems double
performance. My duel g4 1gig has served well
but its time. It also ships with 10.27 so no
problem with lightwave. If someone is looking
to pick up before the end of the year they may
have a couple left.

strongarm

Ade
12-13-2003, 07:11 PM
Just say to yourself is it enough to do what u want? If so be happy, compuetrs always upgrade.

Glendalough
12-14-2003, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the sympathy folks...........

I'd upgrade everything as the Apple people want only for Lightwave getting messed up and not running properly.....Don't think this is all Newtek's fault though.....Apple is rewriting their operating system at such a ferocious rate that no one can keep up.

Think there should be some translation program that runs in OSX, not Classic, for the older programs. Like earlier versions of Illustrator, perhaps the best, are becoming like books out of print, we will have no access..........ie some people refer to latest editions of Adobe programs as Bloatware.......

synist
12-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Glendalough

The DVD Studio Pro seems to open and function, but the Compressor does not.
When I try to open it, click on the icon, it opens and appears for a split second and then disappears........

i had a similar problem with soundtrack that comes with fcp.
it seems that some apple programs look at your address book for the rgistration details and if you didn't complete your identity when installing the operating system, it can't register products properly.

just make sure that all the fields are filled in for your identity in the Address Book and that the card is set to 'My Card' from the card options.

i hope this works for you.