PDA

View Full Version : Multiple studio setups into TriCaster

TIMECARE
08-16-2016, 02:48 AM
Hi All,

We are in the process of expanding our studio services and need to converge multiple studio setups into one central control room where the TriCaster 855 is configured. We have a couple of studio areas which are in the same building and another one which is on an opposite road from the control room.

Would you recommend using a multiplexer to connect the studio which is not in the same building to the control room or passing multiple/separate sdi cables and audio cables? What equipment would you recommend?

Thanks,

Joseph

jmmultex
08-18-2016, 01:58 PM
I would definitely consider upgrading to Advanced Edition and using NDI wherever it is possible. You can use NDI Connect (Free) or Connect Pro to handle traditional SDI feeds, and greatly simplify your cabling. NDI is an excellent match for your use case here. While you can go pretty far with 1Gb networking, I would recommend pulling CAT 7 cable between buildings so you have the option to upgrade to 10Gbit ethernet at a future date. The more you can shift from traditional cable runs over to adopting an IP based workflow, the simplier (and more flexible) this transition will be.

I'm not an expert, but have done some detailed work with NDI and would be happy to talk to you more about it. (I don't do this commercially - I'd just be happy to help bring you up to speed as you start your planning) Drop me a email ([email protected]) or give me a call ( at 609-223-2434) if you'd like to talk.

Best,
John

TIMECARE
08-19-2016, 02:25 AM
Hi jmmultex,

Thankyou for your reply.

I am definitely intrigued by the new standard but we're not necessarily looking to replace our TC855. Also, doesn't the Advanced Edition only support 4 NDI inputs? So if we have a 5 camera production, we would still not be able to work properly with the NDI protocol. What I would like to do is bridge the 2 buildings and not be limited by the amount of inputs. Infact the connections would run into a video hub in the control room and we can switch which feeds are sent to the TriCaster for that production. When we are about to start the next production we can simply re-route the feeds into the TriCaster.

SBowie
08-19-2016, 06:33 AM
Just to clear up one thing, 4 RU systems running AE v.2 support 12 simultaneous NDI connections. Mini and 2 RU system support 8.

JPulera
08-19-2016, 08:26 AM
If your 855 is originally an 855 - not a an upgraded 850 - then you should be able to purchase and install both the 860 and 860 AE upgrades and get current. Yes, it's not a small expense, but increased capabilities are exponential. To expand on what Steve mentioned, the two NET inputs are replaced by 4 NDI inputs, but any of the 8 physical inputs can be replaced by NDI also, for a total of 12 NDI as Steve said. You can even rearrange inputs - SDI input 2 could be routed to switcher input 7, or 11, or whatever you want it to be, in software. And you can NAME the switcher buttons. All good fun.

You could add a Mini or Mini SDI in the other building and the two TriCasters can share their inputs via NDI (assuming good network connection between buildings). Maybe you don't need a router at all then?

Thanks

Jeff

jmmultex
08-20-2016, 12:04 PM
I agree completely with Jeff. The overall cost could actually be considerably less than pulling multiple SDI lines between buildings, and the enhanced capabilities you'd get would be significant. A single cat 6 cable can carry 8-10 1080p streams, and a Cat 7 10Gb network would make that 80-100 lines - and all easily switchable and selectable.

It is definitely worth looking in to if you are still in the planning stages. The move to IP is very similar to the transition to tapeless. It requires changes to how things work (which can be hard for people) but offer huge upsides with flexibility and workflow.

Best
John

blur494
08-25-2016, 04:32 PM
I know it has been stated that there are 12 inputs through NDI but keep in mind when changing NDI inputs with a macro you can essentially have an unlimited amount of sources. We just did a show on our 460 with 12 sources and it worked nearly seamlessly.