PDA

View Full Version : Re-positioning objects with mdd information to get a new starting point.

short223
08-15-2016, 06:57 AM
I thought this was discussed in the past but my search didn't come up with anything. Is it possible to take an object that has a baked mdd motion and relocate it to a new starting position (and rotation direction)? I tried to parent it to a null and move it but that didn't work. It seems like it needs to be at it's original creation spot for it to work.
My goal is to create a number of moving elements in a scene (animated in an outside program) bake the motions as mdd and render in Lightwave, but the animations only can be generated on the same starting spot, plus I'm not sure where the starting spot in the scene will eventually be, hence the relocation.
Doing one is easy (I just rotate everything in the scene to match the start point of the mdd file) but for multiple objects that would be a problem.

Anyone know the procedure for doing this?
Thanks!

prometheus
08-15-2016, 07:50 AM
I thought this was discussed in the past but my search didn't come up with anything. Is it possible to take an object that has a baked mdd motion and relocate it to a new starting position (and rotation direction)? I tried to parent it to a null and move it but that didn't work. It seems like it needs to be at it's original creation spot for it to work.
My goal is to create a number of moving elements in a scene (animated in an outside program) bake the motions as mdd and render in Lightwave, but the animations only can be generated on the same starting spot, plus I'm not sure where the starting spot in the scene will eventually be, hence the relocation.
Doing one is easy (I just rotate everything in the scene to match the start point of the mdd file) but for multiple objects that would be a problem.

Anyone know the procedure for doing this?
Thanks!

Yes it is, if you for instance just add cloth fx on your deformed object, go to clothfx file tab, scan motion and save mdd where you wan´t ...uncheck your deformation displacement if you have that, but in the same clothfx file tab. set playback mode to local, you should now be able to move and rotate and even scale the mdd object file freely, also working in the timeline if you wish various keyframing on that.

prometheus
08-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Ohh..and if you use a subpatched obj, set subdivision to last or after displacement or after motion.

short223
08-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks! I thought it might be something along those lines. In my case, I'm using the MD Reader and needed to change Apply Cache To: Object Space instead of World Space.
Did the trick and thanks so much for your help!
Chris