PDA

View Full Version : Increasing displacement amplitude and wavelength, both, simultaneously?

jeric_synergy
08-14-2016, 10:16 AM
...a bit of thinking out "loud" here... and #aflw....

Imagine a stylized half-sun, like it's rising or part of a logo. I'd like the 'rays' to animate by ripple displacement in the X axis, with the base of the ray being locked and the tip wiggling the most. I realized that for a proper effect (IMO), the amplitude of the displacement AND the wavelength both need to increase along the axis of the ray.

Ideally this would all be in a space relative to the base of the ray, but I suspect that this is one of those cases where it would be a lot simpler (mathematically, and YMMV) to achieve the effect and then Instance the object, ....assuming that displacements are preserved thru instancing.

I'm thinking this shouldn't be too hard using nodal displacement, with gradients, along with instancing, caveat the above.

(Eventually I'm going to achieve this effect in LW, C4dL, and Blender. It's a learning exercise.) :hey:

jeric_synergy
08-14-2016, 10:04 PM
OK, so THIS didn't work:
I'm looking at the output of the SINE node and wondering why that's a YELLOW node-- shouldn't it just be scalar? The skeleton of the network works, I've run dummy values thru the multiplier and the w.map is doing it's job, but the sine node seems to be doing something unexpected.

+++++MORE++++
OK, this is closer, but still not right. There's a difference between SIN and SINE nodes, obviously :foreheads :

Inching closer. Time to do the SMC though!