PDA

View Full Version : External GPU boxes?

stevecullum
08-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Does anyone know of a decent external GPU box, that I could put some Nvidia cards in and connect via USB 3 or similar? I see there are some for thunderbolt, but I guess that's Mac only. There seems to a few for PC, but they all seem to need a dedicated laptop from the vendor to work. What I was hoping to have is a box I could move between a desktop or laptop for use with Octane.

m.d.
08-14-2016, 10:42 AM
There are quite a few pci backplane options.....
The boxes are usually fairly overpriced.

One of the better cheaper options is from amfeltec

http://amfeltec.com/products/gpu-oriented-cluster/

EDIT: They dont publish the price, but I got a quote earlier on this unit and it was $412 USD

Do your research though....depending on the application they can be buggy...even the expensive ones

For certain apps requiring high bandwidth between the GPU a thunderbolt or other box is a good choice over the shared 1-4 lane pci expanders as they can share as little as 250mb/s(1 lane pci v1), but for apps like octane where the GPU only needs scene data between renders the lower bandwidth isn't much as an issue.

m.d.
08-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Thunderbolt is PC too btw...just was in Mac first
Unfortunately you cannot add an add in card if it is not integrated

Unlike USB 3 where different manufacturers run at half the published spec....all thunderbolt devices are certified and garunteed to run at full spec.....so it is very controlled and they don't want add ins in motherboards that don't have the proper chipset

stevecullum
08-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the insights... I think given the additional cost and uncertainty on performance, I may just settle for adding an additional GPU to my desktop! Cheers

3dworks
08-15-2016, 12:46 AM
using a netstor turbobox NA255A here, not cheap, but very solid and well working. cheaper than magma or cubix, though...

stevecullum
08-15-2016, 01:34 AM
using a netstor turbobox NA255A here, not cheap, but very solid and well working. cheaper than magma or cubix, though...

Nice looking solution, but the cost is a bit wallet busting for my needs. Would have been perfect if it had been 200 or so, but I guess this kind of tech is yet to find its way into the mainstream.

Lewis
08-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Nice looking solution, but the cost is a bit wallet busting for my needs. Would have been perfect if it had been 200 or so, but I guess this kind of tech is yet to find its way into the mainstream.

It is expensive but it can't be just 200 'coz it includes 1000W+ PSU of very good quality and just such Gold 80+ PSU will cost more than 200 ad let alone box and other parts.

Cheapest version is Amflatec (abotu 450-500 with shipping).

souzou
08-15-2016, 03:57 PM
I was looking into this the other day, found some good insights into the amfeltec here:
http://elasticpictures.com/1662/octane-render-render-node-expansion/

I've had overheating in my pc (only 2 cards) so looking to move to a better Octane solution. Might be overkill though.

stevecullum
08-15-2016, 05:27 PM
I've probably set my price expectations a bit low Lewis, so when you mention PSU etc... makes sense there going to be a bit pricey! That amfeltec looks like an intriguing solution - thanks for the suggestion and link!

sukardi
08-15-2016, 06:09 PM

Nice stuff. Do you use it with Octane? Is there bandwidth problem or anything like that?

zapper1998
09-22-2016, 03:56 PM
wow great info

Thanks