PDA

View Full Version : Connect Pro system requirements

streamingmedia
08-13-2016, 01:32 PM
For a light, mobile solution I am looking into getting and setting up a lightweight laptop to serve as a Connect Pro computer which will feed NDI sources to Tricaster. Minimum system requirements of Connect Pro lists:

- Intel i5 Sandy Bridge CPU or better with integrated GPU (NVIDIA discrete GPU, with 2GB video memory or better recommended)

Would the following PC laptop system specs be compatible: 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6560U Processor (2.20GHz 1866MHz 4MB), graphics card Intel® Iris™ Graphics 540?

OR... would Connect Pro work on a dual-boot MacBook Pro with a 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Intel Iris Pro Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory?

kanep
08-13-2016, 09:44 PM
It would help to know a bit more the workflow.
1. How many channels of video are you looking to support?
2. Are you using IP cameras with Connect Pro or a supported video IO card?
3. If it is video IO card, what are you looking at? Using a laptop is difficult if you are looking for a multiple channel solution.
4. Do you know the specific module of the MacBook Pro? It appears to have a faster processor and better graphics.

Just for reference, my laptop has an Intel i7-5700HQ CPU running at 2.7GHz with a GeForce GTX 950M GPU. Trying to decode four H.264 streams into NDI uses up to 95% of the CPU power of my machine. I wouldn't recommend anything less if that is the workflow you are trying to do.

Here is a image grab of my laptop decoding the four H.264 streams into NDI.
Using a video IO card will probably need less CPU as you don't have all of the H.264 decoding overhead to deal with.

streamingmedia
08-14-2016, 01:14 AM
Hey Kane, thanks for your insight!

In ideal situations, we'd use Connect Pro to decode up to 4 H.264 IP camera streams to NDI, no IO cards involved. There is a spare MacBook Pro, which could possibly be used (Retina, 15-inch, mid-2014, tech specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp704?locale=en_US) but it sounds like the wisest route would be to make a custom-built PC with the necessary horsepower.