PDA

View Full Version : Rounder

THIBAULT
08-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Hi,
I want a good plugins for rounded because I have trouble with the native rounder. An idea?
Thnaks in advance

prometheus
08-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Hi,
I want a good plugins for rounded because I have trouble with the native rounder. An idea?
Thnaks in advance

I donīt think there are many others free out there, and most would chime in to get lwcad which has a much better toolset for rounding in many cases (not all)
If you can afford it is up to you.

also consider selecing specific parts..like front edges of some part or text and run rounder, and avoid doing the rounding on one whole segment at once, at least for text segments etc.

There is also an option to use the free blender for some rounding/bevel functions, I think it has a slight better rounding method.

erikals
08-13-2016, 09:55 AM
few apps have a great Rounder, but LightWave might have the worst one (?)

like prometheus says, have a look and Blender. though C4D has the absolute best one.

you can also have a look at NURBS programs like ViaCAD Pro, quite good, but leaves a different polyflow.

i'm honestly not sure about the LWCad 5 Rounder, i heard it was supposed to be great, but then heard rumors it was not so great (?)

there's also Modo MeshFusion, but that's another game. can provide quite good results though.

Maya-Max-Houdini seems to be so-so...
again, nothing seems to beat the C4D Rounder...

--------------

but i'm really not quite sure what to advice here. (unless you are willing to cash out for C4D, $900)

THIBAULT
08-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Thanks Guru !

erikals
08-14-2016, 12:16 AM
i try hard! :)

Spinland
08-14-2016, 04:36 AM
Cool tips, erik! One of the more difficult things for me to give up when I switched from Rhino as my full time modeler was the lack of perfect rounds and booleans in mesh based modeling. I sometimes still wax nostalgic over the NURBS days when I literally gave such issues no thought. :D

bazsa73
08-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks Guru !

Blender has a supercheap add-on, Hard-ops, that's supercool. Check on youtube for Blender hard ops tutorials. It is 20 usd or so and absoultely amazing.

erikals
08-14-2016, 09:52 AM
yep, i think it works best for only certain situations though.

here is blender bevel by the way, much better than LightWave.
an idea is to model in LightWave, then send it to Blender for rounding, or just go all Blender on it.  :( :cursin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIT7OAMy_3M

One of the more difficult things for me to give up when I switched from Rhino as my full time modeler was the lack of perfect rounds and booleans in mesh based modeling.
I sometimes still wax nostalgic over the NURBS days when I literally gave such issues no thought
:)  yes, it's a quite different workflow. wouldn't surprise me if NURBS / Regular poly modeling, would get more similar workflows / algorithms in the future.