PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Engine Fire / Thruster HELP Please

Colonelbob
12-12-2003, 12:51 PM
Hey all, I am making a space movie and having some trouble creating the engine fire or engine thruster effect that I am looking for. I really like the ones in the Aramar trailer. Nice glow, but no actual fire coming off it. (see jpg below)

I have tried parenting lights and lensflares to my engines, but I haven't been able to create any results that I am happy with. Any suggestions? Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

pdrake
12-12-2003, 01:24 PM
in surface editor:

increase luminosity.

enable glow.

in layout:

use glow.

i really don't want to be rude, but try utilizing the search function in the forums for glow. look it up in the manual too. section 14.22.

maybe it's just because i have a headache.

glow search (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=88420&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

Colonelbob
12-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Thx for your advice I will try it tonight.

As for your suggestion that I read manual and search etc. I never thought to use glow. I did search for thrusters, engines, fire etc. None of which got me results.

In addition, I have read every online tutorial that I could find. None suggested glow. So hopefully, you will be right and I will have success. Will post results.

pdrake
12-12-2003, 05:02 PM
i don't know the values i'm using in this scene, but it looks like what you want.

Colonelbob
12-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Well it worked. I am not totally satisfied with the results, but perhaps some tweaking will improve the look.

I know, I know you all hate the lens flare, but I can't think of a better way to make a sun. Any ideas?

Comments / Constructive ideas welcome.

toby
12-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Remove the 'red outer glow' from the lens flare, that will help a lot, and depending on how far away you want the sun to be, crank up the intensity way past 100% (btw, it's the 'Lens Reflections' that typically gets abused, but if your sun is very bright, a subtle lens reflection adds realism).

You can go past 100% with the luminosity in the engines too, they're a little dim. Play with the Glow radius and the Intensity of the Glow effect - it looks like the radius is good, just needs more intensity -

Another thing to try for engine glow is the Corona filter instead of the generic glow effect, it has many more parameters - you can even add texures to the glow