PDA

View Full Version : Multishift and viper Advance project.

pquinn
08-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Hey All.

I have been doing a lot of modeling and animating of late, and finally making time to build the viper that Kevin Phillips does. I hit a stumbling block early on. I have fuselage built and i am adding the nurney, cut out, but when I use the bevel or multishift I get something weird (see pic below, what i get, and what the video has.) I am not sure if it a step i am missing or just how its done. I am on lw2015.3 and i have tried this on lightwave 10 but I am getting the same result. Good new I am able to select the polys I dont want and make a new one, however that will created several 3 point polys, which i am trying to avoid.

Thank you

Paulq

ActionBob
08-11-2016, 10:53 AM
The native Bevel and Multishift in LW kinda blow..

I would delete those troublesome polys after the bevel is performed. Delete the entire ovoid shape, merge those points, select them and make a new poly. Then "split" the poly back to nice quads.

Select the new ngon so it is hightlighted and hit the L key for split, select the points where you want to do the split (I think). Can't really remember, as I mostly use 3rd Powers wonderful LWBrush plugin for its suite of improved modeling tools.

Been a while since I modeled anything in Lightwave, so going off of memory.

-Adrian

On second thought, you might be doubling up on your geometry.. Check your point count before doing the beveling by lasso selecting the area then hit "w" to bring up the stats window. Hitting space bar will of course cycle through the selection mode and go to points. If you are seeing more points than you expect in a given area, you might have double overlapping geometry from a botched copy / paste command that is goofing things up.... But I am guessing that it might just be the bevel / multishift tool goofing up.

pquinn
08-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. I found the solution by clicking around in the dark. LW 2015.3, multishift has an option the group polys when selected it treats the straight line part of the flat ones. It worked. Onto next problem.

jeric_synergy
08-11-2016, 12:07 PM
I have been doing a lot of modeling and animating of late, and finally making time to build the viper that Kevin Phillips does.
???

jwiede
08-15-2016, 12:19 PM
???

What's your Q? Kevin offered a series of training videos a while ago (no longer available) on how to use Lightwave to model a BSG Viper. They're really good, IIRC.