PDA

View Full Version : Accordion pipe

THIBAULT
08-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Hi,
Anyone have an idea to make accordion tube ? Pehaps a plugins ?
Thanks in advance

unstable
08-11-2016, 11:47 AM
I think all you need to do is create a disk (8 sided), then bevel or extrude it to make one rib. Add loops to square the rib when going into subpatch mode. Once you're satisfied with that one rib, use array and set the number of ribs you want, then merge points. You should be good to go. I can create one for you, but I won't be able to get to system with LW on it for about an hour.

THIBAULT
08-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks Unstable, yes easy to make witn your solution. It's just i want something more flexible (like pipe in LWCad)

jeric_synergy
08-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately, some of the best methods will have to wait until Unification Day. --Oh what a glorious day that will be!

Meanwhile, jumping back and forth between LWM&LW might give you what you want: specifically using Instancing on a spline path would give you a lot of flexibility. OR, using Bones to bend to your will, or even Deform:{whatever}. These routes all require using SAVED TRANSFORM eventually, unless you are comfortable leaving them in the Scene.

Just recently got exposed to BAKE INSTANCES (native Python script), it's not so bad, and I hear that Mike Green's implementation is even better.

I'm betting PX_Bezier would be applicable too.

THIBAULT
08-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Thanks Jeric !

djwaterman
08-11-2016, 03:26 PM
You need These plugins. Here's a link to my tutorial with links in the description. Does just what you need and so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYILiQCytY

jeric_synergy
08-11-2016, 03:51 PM
:) Another way would be to make a regular tube, however you liked, and then master SELECT BY "N" (or whatever it is) to select every other rib, then Extend or Multishift, then Subd.

IIRC, Erikals did a vid on SELECT BY "N" showing some of the subtleties. HERE'S where "Automatic Selection Sets" would really be a godsend, until then, save selection sets as often as possible.

+++++++++
OMG, this is SOOOooo EFFING ANNOYING. (I sure hope there isn't an easier way to do this.....)

Just to research my contention above, I decided I'd better find out how difficult it was. Eventually I was able to get THIS selection:
This is a rail extruded pipe with every other segment selected.

To do this, I expected to:

use SELECT Nth PATTERN, OFFSET=1
save the selection as a PART,
clear,
repeat SELECT Nth PATTERN but with an offset of 2,
save as PART
Select both PARTs using the stats window
Select LOOP,
done.

Not.

Even though two adjacent polys are selected, that doesn't mean LWM will detect them as loop 'seeds'. This was driving me crazy until I realized the ORDER OF SELECTION mattered. Sorta.

Because, even though the route above fails, if you assign a SURFACE to the selected polys, and then select by SURFACE, it WILL detect the loops. :devil: So the concept of "selection order" is.... flexible. :bangwall:

So, happy ending I guess. :ohmy:

Here's what it looks like ribbed via Multishift:

And here more like what the OP maybe wanted:

Here's the LWO, look at the Surfaces and Parts: 133994

THIBAULT
08-11-2016, 11:55 PM
Many many thanks guys ! Trying plugins djwaterman, just incredible for what i do.

jeric_synergy
08-12-2016, 12:26 AM
Another trick: I used SELECT BY SURFACE to get around the selection order requirement, but that was just the fastest way. I could also have used SELECT BY COLOR, which is not a Surface, but the sketch color of the wireframe representation. Then I wouldn't have possible screwed up some Surfacing situation, although you can always re-Surface the polys in question.

If you don't mind losing the PARTS, you could assign the polys to a third Part, but polys can only be members of ONE Part, so you'd lose all the work leading up to this.

So, poly selection can be by COLOR, by SURFACE, and by PART. All of these are singular attributes, in contrast to POINT SELECTION SETS-- a point can be in any number of SELECTION SETS.

I think there's yet another way to select polys-- if I remember I'll come back.

THIBAULT
08-12-2016, 12:37 AM
Thanks for your time Jeric ! Testing !

jeric_synergy
08-12-2016, 01:43 AM
Couple of metaforms later, it looks pretty good!

prometheus
08-12-2016, 02:28 AM
as djwaterman linked, extrude plus by art has ribbing options, so that one is probably ideal..though it can be a bit slow and especially with denser tube/extruded parts.

otherwise ...instead of using nth pattern selections..which frankly cab be a bit like... what will I ge? etc..you could simple select or cross section circle edge lops (select one, then select ring) then use chamfer..convert to polyselection then smooth shift (this is however broken in 2015) results may be uneven if you got uneven edgeloops or bent tubes/pipes.

THIBAULT
08-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Here result ! Thanks to all, i use djwaterman solution.

Every4thPixel
08-12-2016, 07:15 AM
I just made a script for making this kind of stuff easier. It's on the bottom of the page

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?151107-Generalized-quot-every-other-loop-quot-script&p=1478697#post1478697

lertola2
08-12-2016, 07:38 AM
Very nice. What is it?

prometheus
08-12-2016, 08:51 AM

Yes..looks good, seem like somekind of airconditioner.

THIBAULT
08-12-2016, 09:44 AM
It's a module for a waterpool. This one is for swimming against the tide. I've many modules to make for my client in France how is "Magiline"

jeric_synergy
08-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Yep, I love Art's stuff. --If he has a donate button, consider flipping some cash his way.

daforum
08-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Looks good, great modeling Thibault.

THIBAULT
08-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Thanks !

erikals
08-14-2016, 12:20 AM
another alternative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iPylPdbSqc

jeric_synergy
08-14-2016, 10:28 AM
That's interesting.... at this point, is it possible to ... #aflw .....no, I don't think it would, but... Merge Points and go subd? Both edges of the clone would have to line up with points on the tube to allow that.

erikals
08-14-2016, 11:19 AM
I don't think it would, but... Merge Points and go subd?
no, that's right, it wouldn't work, the polyflow would be messy  :)

it's quite possible that this plugin is the best way to go about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYILiQCytY

jeric_synergy
08-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Quite likely, but (#aflw) isn't there a mode in MultiShift that would create 'regular' extrusions in conjunction with E4P's new "select every other loop" script?

It would have to be Poly normal versus point displacement-- I think the issue is that the prev/next points are being taken into account.

prometheus
08-14-2016, 07:22 PM
I probably have mentioned it before, I usually just use select on one edge loop around the pipe, then select ring ..which selects all edge loops around a pipe, then chamfer that, then convert to poly selection then multishift them..this doesn´t work in lw 2015 since that is broken.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=134021&d=1471224130

erikals
08-15-2016, 12:57 AM
i forgot to mention C-Bend, which should also work nicely, and works for any possible shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iCNOkWYncs

THIBAULT
08-16-2016, 05:20 AM
Thanks