PDA

View Full Version : Weight Map Only

jasonwestmas
12-12-2003, 12:08 PM
I wanted to set my point weights to "Use Weight Map Only" to see if I had any stray points on my character but when I check the box my points stretch out my model in a very extreme manner. The extreme distortion implys there aren't any weight maps at all yet I've applied them and I know how to make sure every point is highlighted with color in the weight shade view. I don't go above or below the sum of 100 in the "Set weight Map value" panel for each vertex. I also know that when "Use weight map only" is off, LW is in fact calculating my weights. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

toby
12-13-2003, 02:17 PM
"I wanted to set my point weights to 'Use Weight Map Only'"

Don't you mean set the bones to that?

Are you sure that you need to use "Use weight map only"? I've always had explosive results with it, even with a rig that works otherwise, I suspect you really have to know how to use that setting.

If you turn that feature off, animate your bones and no points shoot out, I say you're good to go

Dodgy
12-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Try opening your object in vertex paint and use the normalize function. This recalculates your weight maps so they all add up to 100%.

Alternatively, select normalize in the bone requester for each bone. (or do it in the spreadsheet...)

jasonwestmas
12-14-2003, 04:47 AM
Thanks guys! There are so many more features when you start rigging and animating. Thanks for the great start. Because of Timothy Albee's book "LW3D character Animation" and this great 3D community I'm able impress even myself. Rigging in LW has been as much a dream after the nightmare of figuring it out.:p