PDA

View Full Version : 3pay 440: 2nd data disk change

matthias-web
08-10-2016, 07:31 AM
Hi!

Short question: Is there any reason why on 3Play 440 not both data hard-disks are ejectable, but just one?

Best regards,
Matthiaas

JPulera
08-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Short answer: only one drive is removable media

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

SBowie
08-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Without looking, my recollection is that C and D are partitions on the fixed drive ... so remove it and you lose Windows.

matthias-web
08-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Thanks, Steve.

But isn't this a serious flaw of the 3Play 440 workflow?
Imagine I have an event of several days and I want to keep the sessions:

On 3Play 4800 I can swapp all four data disks each day and continue within minutes.
On 3Play 440 (when having four cameras) I cannot do this, as the session recording is done on the internal *and* the removable disk.
So archiving a full four camera session would be a real challenge...

Wouldn't it be much better to have a small internal disk for the OS plus two removable data disks on the 3Play 440?
This would add just little more cost, but extreme improvement to the workflow...

Best regards,
Matthias

SBowie
08-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Just to comment, I'm not sure how it's a really "serious" flaw, since we generally find that in most typical applications people working in replay tend to quickly export the 'keepers' and dump the rest immediately after a game, in preparation for the next event. I think currently shipping units have USB3 ports, making export of large files considerably faster, too.

That said, more recently designed 'pro' systems generally have the system files on an SSD, and it's not hard to envision something like that. Making hardware changes to shipping products is very non-trivial, though, and I'd not like to imply that such a thing will happen at all, much less any time soon. As you point out, for those who really need this type of support, we have another product.

JPulera
08-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Your 3Play shares the same chassis with the TriCaster 410 and 460 units and has had one removable drive bay for several years. You could pop an empty drive into the bay and copy the contents of the internal drive over to it - should be reasonably fast since it uses internal SATA bus connections. This should be even quicker than the USB 3.0 previously mentioned. It's likely that having two bays would require the chassis to be a 4RU size, significantly larger than current 2RU chassis, so that is a consideration. In that case, maybe copying footage is not the worst thing, considering the alternative of a replay unit that is twice as large.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

matthias-web
08-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Dear Jeff,

My point was just that the professional function from the 4800 model (with having all data disks exchangeable) could have been easily put into the 440 model with giving two removable bays plus one OS disk. If I remember right, the 440 was introduced after the 4800. And when 4 bays are fitting in 4u, 2 bays are fitting in 2u :-) And it would not have added incredible more costs. Complete archiving of multiple sessions in some seconds without any copying would have been possible then. Unfortunately it was not designed like this...

Nevertheless - Steve, I could agree with re-wording from "serious flaw" into simple "flaw"... :-)

SBowie
08-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Nevertheless - Steve, I could agree with re-wording from "serious flaw" into simple "flaw"... :-)You are without question a scholar and a gentleman :)

matthias-web
09-24-2016, 06:00 AM
Hi!

Just had hands-on on one of our 3Plays 440:
Indeed there is an internal SSD for the OS and two SCSI disks inside.

So the only reason why not both data disks are ejectable seems that a chassis was chosen with having only one drive bay instead of two. Pity...

Best regards,
Matthias