PDA

View Full Version : Just bought LWCAD

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 05:00 AM
Hi All

I have just bought LWCAD as the tools look really good in the demo videos.
Is it just me or is it a bit clunky? Lots of the tools don't act like you would expect.
Please tell me if it just me, because I so badly want this to be a good tool after spending that much money on it :)
Please please please don' take this is me having a dig at the software, I just can't seem to get on with it from the offset.
I know this is probably my fault (well I am hoping anyway) :)

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 05:16 AM
I think I spoke too soon :)

hrgiger
08-09-2016, 05:20 AM
well try and be more specific to what problems youre having. i find lwcad to be invaluable.

bobakabob
08-09-2016, 05:49 AM
Follow the video tuts and manual step by step and spend some time immersing yourself when testing the tools. The UI is very economically designed and LWCad is a deceptively deep program. I came back to LCad from v1 and it took some time to work out. Now I couldn't do without it... just the Boolean and chamfering / rounding tools for hard surface modelling are essential. The nurbs features are very good for precision modelling and nurbs booleans are on the horizon.

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 06:25 AM
One thing I thought LWCAD was going to do was let me continuously change settings on the different parts of a nurbs surface. For example if I wanted to edit the round edge from 10mm to 5mm. But I think I got the wrong end of the stick with that one.

The other thing is I can't seem to work out how to slice a nurbs surface. Maybe I am just missing the point haha

unstable
08-09-2016, 07:03 AM
I've had the previous version of LWCAD (no nurbs) for some time and still feel the way you do. There are some good tools, but what I found was that it is quirky. You have to watch the videos and pay particular attention to which viewport he's doing things in. Because sometimes you get a totally different result than the tutorial based on viewport, size of your model and various other variables. I rarely get it to perform exactly as the videos, but then again, the videos I watch for my version were created in the 1980s I think. I haven't spent a lot of time with it over the years because every time I begin to use it, it does something flaky or unexpected and then it goes back on the shelf. However, I've seen others here praise the heck out of it and they have a lot more experience in LW than I do. So maybe that's the issue. Hope it works out for you.

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 07:18 AM
I've had the previous version of LWCAD (no nurbs) for some time and still feel the way you do. There are some good tools, but what I found was that it is quirky. You have to watch the videos and pay particular attention to which viewport he's doing things in. Because sometimes you get a totally different result than the tutorial based on viewport, size of your model and various other variables. I rarely get it to perform exactly as the videos, but then again, the videos I watch for my version were created in the 1980s I think. I haven't spent a lot of time with it over the years because every time I begin to use it, it does something flaky or unexpected and then it goes back on the shelf. However, I've seen others here praise the heck out of it and they have a lot more experience in LW than I do. So maybe that's the issue. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks Unstable,

I think maybe I was expecting it to do things it wasn't really aimed at. The UCS alignment etc is very cool though, since LightWave doesn't allow you to change the working plane.

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 07:33 AM
I think what I am looking for is a way of modelling where I never have to commit to anything until I am certain I am finished. I have seen that Modo is going that way with some of its tools. I am struggling to find a use for LWCAD at the moment, but maybe if I play around with it more I will start to see the benefits.
Can someone give me an example of something that would be hard to do in LW Modeler that is made simpler by using LWCAD? I don't mean that as a sarcastic comment at all, I genuinely would like to have some ideas, so I can really make use of what I have bought :)

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 08:07 AM
If the Archviz tools could keep their properties so you can always changes the values at anytime, that would be a bonus :)

kopperdrake
08-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Crikey - I for one have mapped shortcuts to all of the basic LWCAD tools - move, resize, rotate etc, as they all add so much more on an everyday level.

Then there's the various clone options - array, vector, radial - have you ever tried cloning around a centre point in LW? Eventually the rotation goes a bit out of whack (had done so since way back), but LWCAD's radial array tool is as precise as you could want.

The working plane is also a gods-send - booleaning shapes from shapes that aren't on the x,y or z is brilliant. One example in arch viz for me is the shingle tool - laying out an entire roof with tiles, ridge tiles, gable-end tiles in one click is a massive time-saver, as is the option to make your own up. Here in the UK we have a traditional "rosemary" tile, which I've modelled (with UVs) and added to the library, so I can just add it when I need to.

Really - I think LWCAD saves me around 50% of the time in general modelling.

hrgiger
08-09-2016, 08:11 AM
well at the very least, i would think you would want to replace some common lw tools witht he lwcad equivalents. move, scale, and rorate because you can use them with snapping. the cloning tools because theyre interactive. booleans which are real time. ive been meaning to do a video for these types of things.

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys I really appreciate your replies :)
I cannot seem to get the snapping to do what I want.
Let's say I have a cylinder that I want to place on a face of a box shape, but the face is at some weird angle.
I have managed to get the cylinder to be at the same angle using the Rotate Snap tool, but how do i then use the Move Snap tool to get it snap to the face?

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Solved it!!! :) I had grid snapping on still and it was stopping it from snapping to the face :)

Now I am seeing the benefits :D

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Could someone explain to me how I snap a piece of geometry to a plane that is angled in more than one direction? :)

So how would I go about getting that cylinder to be sitting on that top plane of the deformed box?

lertola2
08-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Could someone explain to me how I snap a piece of geometry to a plane that is angled in more than one direction? :)

So how would I go about getting that cylinder to be sitting on that top plane of the deformed box?

I don't think that is a good job for LWcad. To put the object on the off axis plane it would be better to use Place Mesh or Align or Rotate To Object. LWcad would be very good at creating a new cylinder on the plane. Use the LWcad cylinder tool to click on the plane in the perspective view port with the snap panel USC set to auto. Then you can draw a cylinder that will sit on that plane.

Markc
08-09-2016, 11:56 AM
As others have said, the current version is extremely powerful, there are so many tools now.
Seriously take a look at all the videos (even from version 1) on wtools site, once you get the flow it's invaluable.

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 12:08 PM
I don't think that is a good job for LWcad. To put the object on the off axis plane it would be better to use Place Mesh or Align or Rotate To Object. LWcad would be very good at creating a new cylinder on the plane. Use the LWcad cylinder tool to click on the plane in the perspective view port with the snap panel USC set to auto. Then you can draw a cylinder that will sit on that plane.

Just found Align to Plane, didn't even realize it was there!! :( Have been using LightWave for over 10 years lol

Waves of light
08-09-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm the same as Kopperdrake - all LWCAD stuff has been remapped as I don't use native move, rotate, etc. anymore. Yet to really get into nurbs, tbh but the rest is just invaluable.

If you get stuck, just ask away. Lots of LWCAD users on here and if you're on FB, here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/147771435328864?ref=bookmarks

gamedesign1
08-09-2016, 01:29 PM
I'm the same as Kopperdrake - all LWCAD stuff has been remapped as I don't use native move, rotate, etc. anymore. Yet to really get into nurbs, tbh but the rest is just invaluable.

If you get stuck, just ask away. Lots of LWCAD users on here and if you're on FB, here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/147771435328864?ref=bookmarks

Thanks :) I have just become so use to using Drag Snap Tool to snap points (individually or grouped), that I really need to see some reasons to use LWCAD. Maybe now that I have it there will be a time where I am trying to do something and I go, 'hang on I can probably do that better in LWCAD'.

If any of you guys do make a tutorial showing some good practical uses of LWCAD I would deffo be interested in taking a look :)
It would be good to see what you guys use it for.

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice :)

PeT
08-10-2016, 01:58 AM
- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCmOP74S4k

gamedesign1
08-10-2016, 05:08 AM
Thanks PeT, but that only shows creating geometry on a particular face. I wanted to position existing geometry onto a face. I discovered the Align to Plane tool which did the trick.

08-16-2016, 05:09 AM
Quickest thing to do is to replace your use of native tools with lwcad tools for your daily work.

Adds quite a level capability to the arsenal.

a thought: repeatability of a part is real easy with the snap tools. No history, but this tip and the use of the library go a long way.
Robert

hrgiger
08-16-2016, 07:16 AM
New LWCAD tutorial by Viktor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLzPoTh_Q4

spherical
08-16-2016, 01:16 PM
One issue that plagues me throughout all versions is that Mass Round doesn't stop rounding when points are going past other points; creating overlapping polys -- sometimes way overlapping. This leaves a lot of garbage that needs manual fixing. Other times, even on a bog-standard corner that is within normal limits, it will create a uniformly rounded corner but there will be one or more polys missing, each in the same locations on every corner, that have to be manually created. Anyone else see these oddities or am I Borking something along the way?

lertola2
08-16-2016, 08:32 PM
One issue that plagues me throughout all versions is that Mass Round doesn't stop rounding when points are going past other points; creating overlapping polys -- sometimes way overlapping. This leaves a lot of garbage that needs manual fixing. Other times, even on a bog-standard corner that is within normal limits, it will create a uniformly rounded corner but there will be one or more polys missing, each in the same locations on every corner, that have to be manually created. Anyone else see these oddities or am I Borking something along the way?

Yes I have noticed that the round tool is not perfect. But it is very good in a lot of situations. Do you know how to recreate that that missing polygon problem? If so it would be great to send Viktor a bug report about it.

jeric_synergy
08-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Just found Align to Plane, didn't even realize it was there!! :( Have been using LightWave for over 10 years lol
-- Rather than adding new tools, maybe LWG should just invest in telling us what's there already that nobody knows about.

There's an align tool in ....Axis Transform??.... that's very VERY easy to miss.

Ma3rk
08-16-2016, 11:16 PM
New LWCAD tutorial by Viktor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLzPoTh_Q4

Viktor give any hint as to the 5.2 ETA?

Marander
08-17-2016, 01:02 AM

Yes, the v5.x Rounder is definitively worse than v4.5.1 (specially in concave corners, and I have reported this in the beta phase already). I would keep both versions installed. Also the NURBS tools are far from being satisfactory. While I was impressed by v4.x (functionality and stability) at that time and had high expectations for v5 I'm pretty disappointed (but I haven't used the 5.1+ beta fixpacks).

hrgiger
08-17-2016, 02:59 AM
Viktor give any hint as to the 5.2 ETA?

Beta just started about a week or so ago.

Snosrap
08-17-2016, 07:01 AM
A quick question as we just picked up 3 upgrades - do we need to remove LWCad 4.51 from Modeler before installing 5.1?

Marander
08-17-2016, 08:13 AM
Hi Snosrap

In my case I installed LWCAD 5.x manually in a new folder (not using the installer) while leaving LWCAD 4.5.1 installed. Add the 5.x plugins in the Modeler configuration, restart Modeler and add the 5.x menus. Then you should be able to open the LWCAD5 Options panel to activate it. LWCAD 4.5.x still works activated. Just add the menu items of the old version (Road tool, Rounder etc.) that you need additionally to the LWCAD5 menu items.

A quick question as we just picked up 3 upgrades - do we need to remove LWCad 4.51 from Modeler before installing 5.1?

Snosrap
08-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Hi Snosrap

In my case I installed LWCAD 5.x manually in a new folder (not using the installer) while leaving LWCAD 4.5.1 installed. Add the 5.x plugins in the Modeler configuration, restart Modeler and add the 5.x menus. Then you should be able to open the LWCAD5 Options panel to activate it. LWCAD 4.5.x still works activated. Just add the menu items of the old version (Road tool, Rounder etc.) that you need additionally to the LWCAD5 menu items.

Thanks Marander!

Markc
08-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Hi Snosrap

That being said, it does recommend to remove previous version before installing new version in the Wtools install video.

gamedesign1
08-17-2016, 02:47 PM
-- Rather than adding new tools, maybe LWG should just invest in telling us what's there already that nobody knows about.

There's an align tool in ....Axis Transform??.... that's very VERY easy to miss.

Wow I just just tried the align gizmo tool in transform. I probably have no one to blame but myself for not reading the manual properly :)

gamedesign1
08-17-2016, 03:18 PM
The LWCAD tools are really great. One thing I would love to see is the ability to return to an object and adjust it, but I assume this is probably a limitation of the SDK.
Imagine if you used the line clone tool to create a row of fence posts, but it kept it as a special object that was adjustable at a later stage. So you could change the amount of posts or extend the length or even change the posts for other objects etc. I'm guessing that might be on the cards for later :)

jeric_synergy
08-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Wow I just just tried the align gizmo tool in transform. I probably have no one to blame but myself for not reading the manual properly :)
??? You mean native, or LWCad?

gamedesign1
08-17-2016, 04:12 PM
??? You mean native, or LWCad?

Native

bobakabob
08-17-2016, 04:54 PM
The LWCAD knife tool works great with polys but doesn't seem to play well with nurbs objects... Is this a limitation as we're waiting on nurbs booleans?

gamedesign1
08-17-2016, 05:39 PM
A bit off topic, but does anyone else find Modo snapping tools to be a bit annoying? And not very intuitive?

hrgiger
08-17-2016, 07:36 PM
A bit off topic, but does anyone else find Modo snapping tools to be a bit annoying? And not very intuitive?

Better then LightWaves but not nearly as good as LWCAD. I find them a bit twitchy and I don't like how they have the snapping options panel set up. Too much clicking around to get the settings you need. All the snapping options in LWCAD are in a single easy to read panel.

gamedesign1
08-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Better then LightWaves but not nearly as good as LWCAD. I find them a bit twitchy and I don't like how they have the snapping options panel set up. Too much clicking around to get the settings you need. All the snapping options in LWCAD are in a single easy to read panel.

I totally agree

Snosrap
08-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Another side note: what happened to Engraver?

hrgiger
08-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Another side note: what happened to Engraver?

Still there, this is the latest beta.

bobakabob
08-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Side note: Can anyone answer my query about the Knife tool... The LWCAD knife tool works great with polys but doesn't seem to play well with nurbs objects... Maybe I'm not using it correctly. Is this a limitation as we're waiting for nurbs updates such as booleans?

hrgiger
08-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Side note: Can anyone answer my query about the Knife tool... The LWCAD knife tool works great with polys but doesn't seem to play well with nurbs objects... Maybe I'm not using it correctly. Is this a limitation as we're waiting for nurbs updates such as booleans?

Knife wont work currently with nurbs. Use the point tool to split a nurbs surface.

Snosrap
08-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Still there, this is the latest beta.

Ok good. Also where is "Set Original Dimension" button in the Profile tool? We have hundreds of numbered profiles that we manufacture and therefore use in our designs and the only way I see of setting them to the original dimension is to know the size of the profile. Fortunately we have included that in the name of the profile, but I think it is a missing feature.

hrgiger
08-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Ok good. Also where is "Set Original Dimension" button in the Profile tool? We have hundreds of numbered profiles that we manufacture and therefore use in our designs and the only way I see of setting them to the original dimension is to know the size of the profile. Fortunately we have included that in the name of the profile, but I think it is a missing feature.

Do you mean you want to pull a profile out of the library and pull it out at the same dimension it was created with? Just use the OGL DEF button which will set it at the same size it was put into the library at. Or did you mean in profiler (now just called profile) tool itself? I wasn't aware they had a set original dimension in that tool, possibly a function of profiler I've not used. Viktor is prone to changing and sometimes removing certain aspects of tools as he regularly tries to consolidate tools but if it's something you really need I would send him an email.

Snosrap
08-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Do you mean you want to pull a profile out of the library and pull it out at the same dimension it was created with? Just use the OGL DEF button which will set it at the same size it was put into the library at. Or did you mean in profiler (now just called profile) tool itself? I wasn't aware they had a set original dimension in that tool, possibly a function of profiler I've not used. Viktor is prone to changing and sometimes removing certain aspects of tools as he regularly tries to consolidate tools but if it's something you really need I would send him an email.

Okay yeah, I must have that OGL display turned off, I really don't like the clutter. Usually there are equivalents in the numeric panel which I keep open all the time. Engraver never had a "Set Original Dimension" button, it had a "Set Original Ratio" button instead due to the fact it creates the shape from unknown poly size. LWCad 5.1 seems like a pretty good size upgrade from 4.51 from what I've seen so far - it will take some time to become accustomed to it. :)

Snosrap
08-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Okay yeah, I must have that OGL display turned off, I really don't like the clutter. Usually there are equivalents in the numeric panel which I keep open all the time. Engraver never had a "Set Original Dimension" button, it had a "Set Original Ratio" button instead due to the fact it creates the shape from unknown poly size. LWCad 5.1 seems like a pretty good size upgrade from 4.51 from what I've seen so far - it will take some time to become accustomed to it. :)

Just got this replay from Viktor "Yes, you are right. This was useful option.It was forgotten somehow when we updated Profiler to new Profile tool.Current beta 5.2 is already closed, but I am writing this to TODO list, so it will be back in next update.Thanks!"

So Viktor is all over it! :)

prometheus
08-22-2016, 09:26 AM
So what is the most fun/handy new feature, or interesting or best improvements with the latest lw cad?
What do you folks think?

Michael

bobakabob
08-22-2016, 01:26 PM
LWCad is great as you'd expect for hard surface modelling (not to mention organic) with a very streamlined set of powerful tools which can greatly speed up projects.

Nurbs in LW is a revelation and flexible as you can easily switch to polys. An example of a particularly powerful tool is LWCad's version of Rounder which you can use with polys or nurbs allowing you to make clean economical models with combinations of flat and curved surfaces. Nurbs are very intuitive to use once you've followed the tutorial basics.

Nurbs booleans are on the horizon which is especially intriguing. Boolean modelling is now very strong in LW thanks to LWCad (and also 3rd Powers who have produced the incomparable Metamesh).

hrgiger
08-22-2016, 01:51 PM
So what is the most fun/handy new feature, or interesting or best improvements with the latest lw cad?
What do you folks think?

Michael

Well the new cloning tools are great and so far, they seem very reliable. Viktor made some general tool improvements as well. You can watch the latest video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCRBRmxxRCo&feature=youtu.be