PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #273 (post crash)

Amurrell
08-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #273 (Last challenge post crash I believe was 272, if not, we're going with it) - Tools of Precision

Rules:
1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php
3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's challenge : Tools of Precision

Tools of precision constitute anything for weights, measures, or manufacturing. Sure, we could all model a ruler or yard/meter stick, but that's not a lot of fun, so challenge yourself with a carpenter's square, a laser level, scales, bubble level, measuring cups/flasks, surveying equipment, machinery, milling tools, the large hadron collider... well maybe not that big, but you get the idea. If it is something unique, add a good description so we know what we're looking at. Since some of these items can get complicated, I will give some extra time outside the traditional 60 min. I am not a huge stickler on wires, but more on the finished product, however you should still include them for not everyone will get to the polished looking render, and the key is to work clean and fast, and well this is a modeling challenge not a rendering challenge, so the weight of the vote is in the model. Have fun!

Modeling Time : 120 minutes.

Challenge Ends: 15th (possible extension for extra entries)

Sorry for being late.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2016, 11:40 AM
MUUUUWWwhwahahahah... I just happen to have access to a bunch of micrometers and whatnot..... :thumbsup:

unstable
08-07-2016, 01:48 PM
I would go for the large hard on collider if it didn't sound so inappropriate:devil:

jeric_synergy
08-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Yeah, but that one is linear, unlike CERN.

Farhad_azer
08-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Large Hard On Collider ???

Amurrell
08-08-2016, 07:34 AM
I would like to see more entries this time. I know we have let these challenges slip by and they used to bring a lot of competition, and show what one can do with LW in a short time. Step outside the comfort zone, make something and show off a bit.

jeric_synergy
08-15-2016, 01:10 AM
OK, here's my entry: 120 minutes, no surfacing at all (except the minimum)

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to do some neat ruler/guage surface stuff.

unstable
08-15-2016, 06:27 AM
Nice entry jeric. I like it. I'm probably not going to get around to modeling anything for this one.

jeric_synergy
08-15-2016, 08:43 AM
The recent discussions of how to select "every other" of something came in handy, although I'd like a better methodolgy for knurled knobs, or even serrated knobs.

unstable
08-15-2016, 10:24 AM
The recent discussions of how to select "every other" of something came in handy, although I'd like a better methodolgy for knurled knobs, or even serrated knobs.

I missed that discussion. Is there a fast way to select every other?

jeric_synergy
08-15-2016, 10:41 AM
See the "accordion pipe" and "generalized every other loop script" threads.

And this new one:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?151129-Select-every-other-EDGE-loop-native!-oddity-in-SELECT-Nth-PATTERN-selecting-Loops

bellmore
08-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Can you extend the challenge and make it end on Wednesday?

Amurrell
08-15-2016, 07:43 PM
I will extend the challenge since there has only been one entry. Bellmore's suggestion of Wednesday is reasonable, but I'll bump it to Friday to allow more entries and think time.

bellmore
08-16-2016, 03:19 PM
I will get my submission in on or before Wednesday. So if you judge on Thursday morning that would be great.

jeric_synergy
08-17-2016, 12:05 AM
Just for fun, playing w/render..

bellmore
08-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Sorry, but I'm not going to get a submission in. I am at work and swamped. I though that I would be able to work on it work but I can't.

Farhad_azer
08-17-2016, 03:17 PM
134091 134092

63 minutes of modeling to make this old style jewelry balance that my uncle had. i tried to make it without looking at any images but at the end did some google and based on them added some details.

i was afraid that the contest will end so did not do more on rendering.

Thanks for the exciting challenge Amurrel,

p.s. sorry for late entrance, i had technical difficulties with my PC.

Amurrell
08-19-2016, 12:11 PM
Competition ends tonight, there is still time. So far Jeric, liking the calipers, clean lines and all, and Farhad_azer, I like the scales, if I were to nit pick, I would say that the ends of the chains leave a bit to be desired, but it is a speed modeling contest, and the fact that you attempted to add chains gives you bonus points. Like I said, there is still time for entries, just takes 2 hours or less of your time to throw something together. I will judge the winner tomorrow.

jeric_synergy
08-19-2016, 12:41 PM
The SMC is an excellent place to find out weaknesses in one's own knowledge of modeling, and strengths and weaknesses of the software. I think the devs would find participation quite instructive, not that they have time. --OTOH, watching a dev participate would be a GREAT blog entry, so two or three birds with one stone.

Farhad_azer
08-20-2016, 01:10 PM

25 minutes of works and improvement. the skews that Amurrel mentioned was the result of splineguide tool. i adjusted them manually but they are not very obvious.

Yours,

Amurrell
08-21-2016, 10:44 PM
Late again, well here goes....

Jeric_synergy: I like the simple lines for a complex object, I kept looking at the set I have on my desk and wondering if I could tackle the same thing. I do have the feeling that a couple of extra cuts would define some of the shape just a bit better.

Farhad_azer: Nice complex shape put together with simple elements. I had mentioned my opinion of the chains before, but nice blending of modeling approaches sub-d and non-sub-d to put together some nice scales.

I declare the winner Farhad_azer for the cleanliness in the mesh. You brought the elements together very well with few distracting elements at the mesh level. Jeric_synergy fell just a bit short. Yours is a complex tool in it's seeming simplicity, but I feel that the mesh could have defined the shape a bit more, especially around the "curvy/angled" parts. I found the faceting a bit distracting, but this was not an easy instrument to model, and I see the effort put into the details. Good job!

Great effort put in by both entrants, and I am happy that someone got involved in the challenge, as it is sad to see this once thriving competition go by the way side.

Farhad_azer, you have the next challenge. I look forward to it, and if I can, I will join in the fun again.

Farhad_azer
08-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks Amurell,

I am really happy that we have two more participants for SMC, you and jeric_synergy,

What jeric synergy has mentioned is sth we are all saying for months, no offence but why this much procrastination then Jeric??? please promise that you will be more serious on future contests.

Usually Unstable, mTp and me enter every contest and bellmore is also active. hope to see more from him. i dont see mTp recently, where is he? has anyone seen him? i hope everything is ok with him.

Thanks again Amurrell for the challenge, please help us improve this part of community and stay with us. i will post the new challenge until tomorrow.

jeric_synergy
08-24-2016, 08:00 PM
What jeric synergy has mentioned is sth we are all saying for months, no offence but why this much procrastination then Jeric??? please promise that you will be more serious on future contests.
Dude, I was ON TIME for this one, made a serious effort and just in case everybody has forgotten, I'M THE GUY who RESTARTED the SMC after months of nothing.

All these posters yapping about effing Blender and Octane and Houdini, maybe you should be bugging them.

Farhad_azer
08-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Hi jeric_synergy, i really did not want to offend you, i know you restarted the SMC and you were the one who encouraged me to participate, remember?

All i am saying is that we recently do not have enough participant and it would have been great if there were more, imagine we have more than ten entries each time, wouldn't it be great to sharpen our skills and spot our weakness under that much pressure?

You are a great guy and have participated in important discussions and i brotherly ask you to enter SMC more, only this. if you dont then i promise to bang my head to the wall. if you want one more disabled LWer then skip it. AGAIN, sorry if i offended you.

andDDDDDDDDD i could not agree more on those posters talking about other software and complaining and negging without break. i can not and dont want to spend any second on those irrelevant and not very useful talks.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?151251-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-274&p=1480279#post1480279

this is the address for the next chalenge, hope to see a great and exciting challenge.

Cheers.

MonroePoteet
08-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Hi Farhad,

I'm still around, but just working on non-LW projects so I don't get to the forums much these days. I saw the new "Anything That Flies" challenge and hopefully I'll find / make the time to participate.

mTp