PDA

View Full Version : How do you bring LW scenes (no animation) into Houdini these days ?

madno
08-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Hi,

let's say I have a siimple LW scene. Nothing fancy, only a room. No animation etc.
And let's say I got an Indi license of Houdini. What would be the way to bring the LW scene incl. camera into Houdini?
Frankly speaking have not had to move scenes in the past much. So my only experience is OBJ.

jasonwestmas
08-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Did you try FBX or ABC? I think indie has those, no?

prometheus
08-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Did you try FBX or ABC? I think indie has those, no?

Yes I think that should work, this worked, all though with reservation that I used lw 11.6.2 ..fbx settings you can see int the image, and with reservation for that it was an older apprentice version Houdini 11.581.
attached further down is also a compare chart for indie, apprentice etc..might be that there is newer ones though.
Export to lightwave with fbx will not work though, only geo.obj sequences..and I think mdd point cache.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133938&d=1470597763

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133939&d=1470597785

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/iGdx2l1gAOOvl8hCOm2AEovf5PSmdVUSaHIPFkdtt5MBrjeYkc IuA5Hd5u8mOaFlGAHXRx6qvqk9rQ_BJ5M3zBPXt1emyQVnOcdS JOBujN4G97iTr2-ThJBt=w5000-h5000

prometheus
08-08-2016, 06:40 PM
FOI...You can also export mdd stuff to houdini, at least in my version mentioned above..I donīt see any file/mdd import though, so you have to do it this way.

1. click tab when having the mouse in the viewport/add a geometry container
2. in the object nodes network..double click the geo node to enter it, it is necessary it seems, if you only stand in the level above ..the tab system doesnīt seem to bring this mdd loader in...so do that
and hit tab again and go to import, mdd and drop the mdd node there..click on it and you have the parameters and paths settings to load your mdd file created by lightwave..whatever it is, clothfx or animated displacements (after you clothfx scan them to mdd, or use the other mdd scan options in lightwave)

3. make sure to click the display and render box within the mdd node itself (the furthest box to the right ..turns blue when activated.

madno
08-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Ok,

had some luck with fbx. I now just need to understand what all those buttons in Houdini do ;-)

Reco
08-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Here is my LW to Houdini fbx import procedure.

Important. Houdini imports the camera "Screen Window Size" under the view tab, with the same parameters as the resolution. You need to manually set it to 1;1.

Reco

erikals
08-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Great info Reco! :) :)

prometheus
08-09-2016, 03:12 PM
as far as two way operations, you can import mdd, and I think it should be possible to export out mdd, it is a bit tricky though, and when I checked with my latest version..I couldnīt find the mdd export node strangely.
mdd can not be used for exporting out fluids, since the particle amount increases, object export is possible then reload in to lightwave with object sequencer, but then you miss motion blur.
Netvedu had some tips on using real flow plugins together with houdinit to bring it back in..I have to gather that info somewhere later.

Oh..I tried to install the latest houidini apprentice daily build, but after installation when trying to start...I got a missing dll error, so I put a question yesterday..but no answers so far, may have to try another build or reboot my system.

Michael